on 27 March 2017
I have been looking for a hutch which would accommodate my tortoise. There seem to be none tailor made for that purpose, but many people seem to use one of these, or one from other sources which seem to be built to the same pattern, for their tortoises, so I thought I'd try it. The door seemed to be a bit narrow for my tortoise, but I thought I'd get one and if necessary I'd modify it; much easier than building one from scratch.

The house is pretty easy to put together. The sides, front and back simply bolt together. Impossible to go wrong.
The roof is a bit harder as there are no markings for the screws for the hinges, but with a little bit of common sense that too is easily achieved, as is fixing the stay.
The floor is in two sections which just drop into place. They are slatted, I assume to aid ventilation and facilitate the elimination of excreted liquids (wee). The gaps aren't very wide, so I doubt they'd cause any problems, but if they did a plastic floor tile or piece of line could easily be trimmed to shape to provide a cover.

Once constructed I disturbed the tortoise from its hibernation for a fitting, only to find she was too wide to get in through the door.
So plan B. I decided to turn the whole of the front into a door. I won't go into details as it shouldn't be foo difficult for anyone else to do the same. I've attached a couple of photos to show the finished product.
The timber I used was matchboard, like that used in the house, but was a bit wider than that used by the manufacturers. I salvaged the two upright frames of the original door for the sides of the new one, and found a couple of other pieces of timber in my garage (I told my wife it would come in handy one day...) for the top and bottom bars of the door.
I did buy a couple of hinges, as I didn't think the single one provided would be enough.
A coat of preservative and the job was finished. It's a different shade, though you can't really tell from the photo. I doubt the tortoise will care.

The eagle-eyed will spot a little bit of damage to the timber above the door. I confess that was my fault, and nothing to do with Bunny Business.
review image review image
on 12 June 2017
Great product. I bought two of these cabins over 10 years ago. They lasted well outdoors, providing shelter in all weathers for stray and feral cats. This latest one is for an abandoned cat that comes here every day for food.
The hutch is easy to assemble, even for an elderly and disabled person like myself. The slatted floor allows underfloor ventilation, but this can be covered over if not required. I've placed cardboard and a cat blanket over the floor which inhibits draughts from underneath, but still allows the blanket to get aired.
Since it's for a cat, I've removed the drop-down front ramp to make it more difficult for certain garden pests to get into the cabin. I've placed the cabin on top of an outdoor table, and against a shed. This lifts the cabin 70cm (28") above the ground, which the cat prefers.
For the price, this is a very good cabin / hutch.
on 3 April 2017
Actually, it's not me but my cat who loves this little house ! Although she does like to spend the night on my bed, she spends most of the day out in the garden, even in cold wet weather. I popped an igloo bed in this 'hutch' and she loves it. Very well made, comes flat packed but easy to put together (didn't bother with the 'stay-open' bracket) . The roof has proved to be watertight & as the the legs are built into the sides it's very sturdy.
on 12 March 2017
This product was not as sturdy as I was hoping for. It was easy enough to put together but the parts move around even after constructed and the base does not fit properly it is smaller than the hutch leaving gaps.
on 27 May 2017
My 3 little guinea pigs love this and run up and down the ramp endlessly (I put a small town over the ramp to make it easier for them). We ordered one of these 3 years ago and the roof has just fallen apart, so we got another one. The original one lasted really well seeing it's been outside all the time. So now they have a new one. I use it when they are outside on the grass, then for storage when they are back in their mansion (aka: hutch). I think I'm probably obsessed with them!
on 19 August 2015
Bought this for my two guinea pigs. Perfect size and easy to assemble. Not well weather treated and I wish I had given it a coat of something before I put it together. The ramp hinge attachment rotted out within a few months but it is attached to a run so that didn't matter to me and it's not too high for the piggies to climb in and out. Overall not bad value.
on 15 May 2017
This is the second house we have bought. We use it as a shelter for our cats. We've had one for a couple of years but it was so popular when it rains there was a queue to get in it, hence the need
to buy a second one! Great value and easy to assemble. We just put some thick cardboard and a door mat on the floor. The cats love it.
on 12 June 2017
This looks a really good product but was entirely spoiled by the sloppy despatch and quality control. It was supposed to arrive with 8 nuts and 8 bolts. Unfortunately it only had 4 nuts so it was not possible to assemble it without buying new nuts. And there was no e mail address to contact or complain to. Don't risk this product!
on 7 July 2016
Perfect size for a fairly big rabbit, weathers well and easy to put together
review image
on 27 January 2017
Very good and easy to build. Only thing is that it needs to be a bit roomier. No way a rabbit could stretch out inside. Mine lie on top and don't go in it. More suited too a guinea pig I would say which is a shame as I'd have loved it if it was an inch or so wider and deeper.