on 3 September 2010
Right, in my opinion, this book is quite good for the novice adventure rider who is looking to take his 1st trip on a motorcycle to lands far far away, or just to do a little bit of off-roading somewhere nearby.
I've had a couple of trips on my own already, and even though the book didn't tell me many new things, it certainly reinforced to things I did know.
Part of the experience is kitting the bike out. Never in the book did it ever say "you must have this bit from this firm" or "you must ride this bike because..."
It was refreshing in they way that the author stated, on a few occasions, that "every bike has its own merits, and what is right for one rider may not be right for another" (I also agreed with his comments that every motorcyclist would ideally have 5 bikes each)

Overall, a good read, certainly worth 5 stars due to its non-biased opinions
on 27 November 2010
This book is A4 size, with lots photos and large text. The content is not that detailed, and some of the info is quite obvious. I've read the Adenture Motorcycling Handbook by Chris Scott whihc has much better detail, and is A5 size so you can take it with you. I would still recommend this book though as a lighter read.
on 21 September 2010
Well illustrated book that gives a good starting guide to
what you will need to go on a motorcycle adventure.
on 7 April 2011
I have a R1200GS which I am looking to take on a lengthy European outing and this book doesn't quite hit the mark. It's nice and glossy with lots of pictures but it just feels like it is a showcase for certain manufacturers kit. I can get a free catalogue to look at that! That said, it keep me entertained for a week, but I have to say I'll selling it on, unlike a certain yellow-spined motorcycle travel book that every biker should own....
on 23 January 2015
Brilliant book which I discovered while trying to find a gift for my Motorcycle buddy for Christmas, the book is now a perminant addition to his living room which he picks up time to time, he loves adventure on the motorbike so it seemed like a no brainer as it contains all the essentials of what you need including the best bikes for the job, its packed full of information and coloured pictures on the subject, I ended up buying it again for another friend which again went down well and now I'm thinking of buying again for myself! If you like Adventure motorcycling whether you have your bike license or not you need this book in your collection.
on 11 November 2012
It's comprehensive, factual & very informative for me as a beginner to this subject. The only possible downside is that it's a 'now' book. Relevant at this moment in time but as technology and new products come to market I can see it becoming outdated. It would need revisions every 2 - 3 years. For someone just going into adventure biking it is an excellent reference.
on 31 May 2014
A very well written book that will help anybody considering motorcycle touring on an adventure type bike. Great pictures fantastic descriptions. Highly Recommended
on 17 July 2013
My father loves this book. I have had a little read and it seems the perfect guide for both realists and dreamers. Haynes cannot be beaten for this kind of stuff.
on 5 August 2011
If you are thiking about going on a tour then this is a good book to start with. Information on bikes, equipment, case histories from real people who have gone on motorcycle adventures. Book also includes a list of website and books for additional reference. Had to give it a 5*

Just started planning my trip!!
on 14 June 2013
It is a present to my friend that has the motorcycle in the blood!! After read, he told me: fantastic!

Bye