Customer reviews

on 27 February 2009
I thought I would give this book a chance - despite other's negative feedback and I'm sorry I did. As a reference tool, it's impossible to effectively use - with an impossible index, sending you on wild goose chases. Try finding 'safety glass' in the index and the relative area's and heights it must be used in to meet current standards ..(I lost the will to live! and found it in 5 seconds in Document N Building regs)... It's much quicker and easier to just turn to the Building Regs online versions. At least their indexes are user-friendly and with Acrobat Reader you can run electronic searches for key words and quickly scroll through the pages to clearly see what you need to. Sorry but very disappointed - I have lost a lot of study time.
on 14 September 2007
I recently purchased this book and I have to say that I am not impressed!

Although the book may be of some use to people with little or no knowledge of construction, it is not suitable for construction professionals such as architects, inspectors and surveyors as it lists on the back of the book.

Although it would be almost impossible to produce a book which details every regulation, this book still leaves out important regulations that the average construction designer would get involved with. On top of that the diagrams in the book are complete copies of those listed in the current building regulations. Wouldn't it have been of some benefit to add diagrams which show different angles to the illustrations currently listed in the building regs?

The complete building regulations are available on electronic format from a number of sites on the internet for under £10. Construction professionals should save their money and opt for these instead!
on 12 April 2010
I've bought this book in order to understand the requirements that apply for my kitchen extension. This book has been of very little use in making me understand the regulations. I find the regulations themselves, which are free to download, just as confusing, so why pay for a book that is very much the same. Even the illustrations in the book are copied from the approved documents. The book often repeats the regulation, which typically does not tell you very much. It is not very good at telling how to actually meet the regulations. I find the coverage of energy efficiency (part L) particularly poor. I would discourage anyone from wasting their money on this book.
on 17 May 2011
I bought this book about a year ago as a quick reference aid for my work as a building specifier and developer . Maybe it is just me, but the index seems badly laid out and important information is missing. I have yet to be successful in quickly locating any useful information in all the times I have tried to use it. Very frustrating.
on 30 June 2009
This book is highly recommended for beginners or pros.,
The book is a must if you want the latest regs or advice.
I have carried out several projects and wish I had the book previously as it has almost every subject covered and comes with an excellent index
Highly recommended
on 7 November 2013
This is an ex-library book so some bits are out of date. The current regulations are free in their 'raw' format but are very time-consuming to follow. All the advice in the book is still relevant and really easy to find.
on 5 March 2013
All the data in a concise format that allows easy reference and accurate
Survey content. Well worthwhile to many trades that need the information
In an easy guide.
on 7 October 2013
Although overtaken by changes in legislation this book provides an excellent insight into many aspects of building work and is a very useful starting point for a project.
on 14 May 2015
Written for those in the industry, can be a bit impenetrable for us amateurs and hard to find the bit you need but it is in there somewhere. Excellent reference book
on 3 February 2013
I order this product which turned up very quickly with now problems good value for money. would recommend to others