on 11 January 2018
As a new comer to the Buddha, I find this small book a treasure. We all suffer, we all have our story, but here's a story that can change all that.
on 28 October 2008
Having long been drawn towards the peaceful ideology and practical approaches to living that buddhism offers (and having read the Hesse book) I wasn't sure about a fictionalised version of Buddha's life, but it works really well.
Chopra writes superbly, showing skill and sensitivity in putting across the ideas, especially in giving one a chance to understand what achieving enlightenment might actually mean.
I particularly liked his Epilogue where he speaks to the reader about the process of writing the book, and the short Practical Guide to Buddhism. I learned more from these 13 pages than from many hours of previous study and meditation with my buddhist friends!
on 22 May 2007
Deepak is best known for presenting Eastern ideas to a Western audience with a clear vision and penetrating insight. When I saw this book at a local store, I just had to buy it, since I wanted to read how Deepak would convey his ideas in fiction - in retelling the tale of Buddha's journey to enlightenment. I found this book to be mesmerizing almost as if I was right there with the Buddha experiencing everything.

Buddhism has always interested me with its ethic of compassion, mindfulness and emphasis on meditation. So to understand the Buddha's journey in a contemporary tale has been most spell-binding. My own understanding of the Buddha started with Siddhartha a classic by Herman Hesse and I also loved a unique spiritual novel on compassion called Nexus: A Neo Novel.
0Comment| 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 30 September 2009
A thought provoking read that presents the background to a spiritual approach to life in line with the modern day growth in popularity of yoga and medition.

The way the book discusses spiritual concepts in the format of a story, makes it easy for readers of all backgrounds to open their mind to the content discuss and perhaps even see the benefits of adopting some of the approaches to life into their own.

Particularly interesting to me as a yoga and meditation enthusiast to understand the Buddhist background to this practice and way of life.
on 14 April 2016
I'm afraid the author is guilty of believing his own press with this book. How anybody can give this tosh 5 stars is beyond me. Having forced myself to continue reading to the end and having read dozens of books about and around Buddha this is by far the worst. If I was able to give it 0 stars I would have done. i regret not starting reading it before the return deadline ran out - biggest waste of £8.99 in my life.
on 3 May 2011
If you have ever enjoyed reading Deepak's wise words, then this book is a must have. Ever since I read 'Way of the Wizard' years ago, I have been recommending Chopra's books. The wisdom on Eastern philosophies he manages to relay through beautiful story telling is magnificent. What I also appreciate about his writing is the simplicity in the language he uses so that it may be accessible to everyone.
on 10 January 2013
An accessible and easy to understand fictional account of Buddha's life. Direct in approach though it is, it contains jewels of wisdom that really get you thinking long after you have stopped reading the passage containing the gem. I would say that this is a book to return to time after time and each time you would gain a greater understanding and awareness.

This book demonstrates so clearly how very relevant Buddha's path from his persona as Siddhartha, the prince who wanted for nothing in terms of worldy riches to an enlightened being is to our lives today. This is true particularly in the west, (although much of the east is adopting the west's `culture' for consumerism) where many want for nothing and everyday individuals have to make endless choices about what to drink, what to eat, what to watch on television, what to purchase online or offline, what to say in an email, twitter or facebook posting, who to follow next on twitter and on and on. We have a bewildering amount of commodities available to us to suit every income and yet we are no happier.

The end of the book contains a brief no-nonsense guide to what it is to be a practising Buddhist and what the ultimate objective of every Buddhist is. Perhaps more could have been said as to how to integrate Buddhist practice into our modern, busy and choiceful lives but the purpose of the book is to put flesh on the bones of what is known of Buddha's life. I believe that purpose has been fulfilled. What it will do for many is light an interest to find out more.

I thoroughly recommend this book.
on 19 November 2013
I read Herman Hesse's Siddhartha many times growing up, I was surprised at how different this book was from what I had grown to associate with the 'sequence of events' from Buddha's life. They are very different, and yet, still follow the same path. This novel, as with all of Chopra's work, has given me much to reflect upon.
on 7 October 2012
An easy to read and well explained journey. It has been written to appeal to those who are dipping their toe into the river of Buddha as well as those who already bath in the spiritual waters. A delightful story told simply with the right amount of depth to appreciate the journey of enlightenment.
on 6 November 2011
JUST STARTING ON MY JOURNEY INTO BUDDHISM, SO FOR A FIRST BOOK IT IS A NICE GENTLE INTRODUCTION, BUT I SUSPECT PARTS ONLY MADE SENSE BECAUSE SOME HAD ALREADY BEEN EXPLAINED TO ME. ALL IN ALL A GOOD READ MAKING ME REALISE I HAVE ONLY SCRATHED THE SURFACE