Customer reviews

on 9 November 2000
I am an avid collector of Dorling Kindersley books. (I have 18 travel guides alone!) I have religiously used DK guides on my travels, but was disappointed to find some major issues. 1-Misinformation. DK said my hotel, the Vendome, does not offer breakfast, which it did. More distressing, it said a museum in Antwerp had a Gutenburg Bible, why we went to Antwerp, and it did not! Only a copy of a page and bibles printed at that time. Still fabulous, but for a designer trekking to see a specific book I studied in college- how horrible!) 2-Leaving out Ghent. Due to my reliance on the quality of DK guides, I took the sparce information on the city of Ghent and planned only 3/4 of a day there. The city turns out to be the 2nd reason (only behind Brugge) to visit Belgium. It is an amazingly rich and glorious city and DK only gave it 2 spreads! I was floored and feel so slighted out of only having a small amount of time in a town that is so much better than Brussels and Antwerp in many ways. 3-Proportions. I also cannot believe that there is not more information on the incredibly well-preserved city of Brugge. The proportions are allocated so miserably in this book, I urge you to buy a Frommer's guide for practicalities and a Time-Out guide for restaurant info. 4-Logistics. DK also did not have the practical information on train travel between the cities that would have helped considerably. and 5- Dangerous recommendations. DK recommended places to eat on Rue de Boucheres that all other guides cautioned about food poisoning! I cannot stress enough my disappointment in DK for letting a passionate collector like myself down in such a way. I will say however, that the reasons for buying the guide are this: they offer beautiful photography which is essential in travelling to sights when you are inevitably wandering about a town. The descriptions were historically informative and I do value that as a way to greatly enhance the trip. I would buy this book for that reason, but the other guides are essential for logistics.
20 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
on 22 October 2000
It is a good guide providing detailed and factual information about cities like Brussels, Ghent, Bruges and Antwerp. I have bought the book near St. BaafsKathedraal in Ghent and I used it to guide me through Bruges, Antwerp and Brussels. The detailed walks and descriptions of buildings / monuments and their history give us the oportunity to discover the tours by ourselves and will make guided tours unnecessary (the photos,diagrams and information are clear and easy to use). It is an excellent guide, however, I'd like it to have more detail about the city of Ghent.
4 people found this helpful