on 31 March 2011
I've had two previous laser printers.

Fine with expensive paper. Fine for printing one or two sheets at a time.

Atrocious with "normal" paper of any volume. Awful curling of paper.

I would not recommend this printer. Disappointing.

Mark
on 8 September 2009
Good office workhorse, bought a couple as spares as not made any more, handy to keep the same toners
on 13 November 2010
An excellent reliable workhorse. Every month it faultlessly printed 3,000 closely printed sheets in a single job lot. Great value for money but keep away from cheap paper and always fan the paper bundle.
However the Brother toner cartridge is a mean-spirited miserly product. The toner light comes on far too early and the printer stops even though there is plenty of toner left in the cartridge. However, covering the 'electronic eye' can remedy this.
Have now upgraded to the 'duplex' version and will report later.
on 11 May 2014
the printer ordered was HL 5240L but I received the HL 5240 when I informed the seller they were very helpful and asked if I wanted to keep it and as I needed a printer I said I would keep it. so the company refunded me half of my bill as a good will gesture and I have been very pleased with my purchase and will use the company again.
on 20 April 2010
Just received this printer and am very pleased. Nothing fancy just does what it says on the tin very well. Fast prints with very good print quality and brother are offering either £20 cashback or free 3 year warranty until June 2010.

The printer makes a bit of fan noise while printing but then goes almost silent and after a little while shuts itself into standby until required again.

Seems solid enough, I was consdiering a Samsung printer which had a few bells and whistles but upon investigating toner prices this Brother appears to have refilled/compatible toner cartridges much more readily available and even the brother orginal toner - £76 for a high yield 7,000 toner seems fairly reasonable.

I haven't had the printer long but on 1st impressions I have no regrets. Oh, and the drivers installed no problem on both a Windows XP and a Windows 7 laptop.
on 30 December 2011
This is my second Brother HL-5240. The first one I purchased in June 2007 and it's only recently started to sound `a bit tired'. This was after a life of 4 and a half years working in my small business office (I work as an accountant so it's printed an awful lot of accounts over those years!) Never had any problems with my original machine and rarely had to renew to toner cartridge. I never changed the drum or needed any repairs in all that time. Great!

I bought this machine brand new in December 2011 and within the first dozen pages I got a message telling me that the toner needed changing. The cartridges (original Brother cartridges) cost almost £70 for the 3500-yield version (and considerably more for the `high-yield' version). This meant that I had to immediately spend around 50% again on top of the price of the printer. Naturally - I complained about this and thankfully it was sorted.

The machine itself is a great little workhorse. As far as I can see it's exactly the same construction as my old one and that lasted all that time with a fairly relentless workload. Print quality is as crisp and solid as you choose it to be. You can change the settings and even print using `Toner Save Mode'. I used that setting as default and never had problems with the print quality.

Quality and longevity. I hope my new machine *is* exactly the same as my old one. If so, I won't have another printer problem until 2016! Great!
on 2 April 2013
We struggled to find this product anywhere, as it has been superseded now by a newer and more expensive model. We ordered this model, as we already have one and it arrived very quickly and we have had no problems with it :)
on 18 March 2013
The product exactly replaced an original, so quite happy with machine - but, the instructions were all in German.
If we hadn't got knowledge of the item we would have had a difficult task setting up.

There was no mention of it being a grey import with no English instructions. Not good enough!
on 17 May 2012
Having owned two of these machines both of which broke down within 2 years, outside of the warranty period, I would urge you to buy from a supplier offering an extended warranty.

Whilst the printer performed well, when it was working and the Brother support staff were very helpful, I have now purchased a Samsung with a five year warranty.
on 7 February 2011
We have used many Brother laser printers for work. They are very reliable and this model gets even faster! Highly recommended - especially if they are to be used in a work environment.