- Amazon Students Members Get an Extra 10% Off Selected Books Here's how (terms and conditions apply)
- Save 10% on selected children’s books, compliments of Amazon Family Promotion exclusive for Prime members .
The Broken Mirror: Understanding and Treating Body Dysmorphic Disorder Paperback – 2 Jun 2005
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Special offers and product promotions
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
"Dr. Phillips' book is a landmark in the recognition and treatment of imagined uglyness. This book. beautifully written, provides a great deal of hope for patients with body dysmorphic disorder and their family members and should help speed recovery for countless sufferers of this common, fascinating, and disabling illness." -- Eric Hollander MD, Professor of Psychiatry, USA
"Dr. Phillips' book is a landmark in the recognition and treatment of imagined uglyness. This book. beautifully written, provides a great deal of hope for patients with body dysmorphic disorder and their family members..." -- Eric Hollander MD, Professor of Psychiatry, USA --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
About the Author
Katharine A. Phillips is R.I. Director of the Body Dysmorphic Disorder and Body Image Program at Butler Hospital in Providence, Rhode Island, and Professor of Psychiatry and Human Behavior at Brown University School of Medicine.
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top customer reviews
The good news is that, however serious the problem, BDD is treatable and improvement is possible. A combination of medication, usually SSRI anti-depressants, and psychological treatment, cognitive behaviour therapy, can chip away at those entrenched beliefs. Progress, however slow, is still progress and worth pursuing.
For the BDD sufferer, this book is a godsend. You come to realise that you are not alone, you are not mad and that there is a reason for your seemingly peculiar thoughts and behaviours. In the UK alone, it is thought there are about 400,000 sufferers. Read this book by Dr Katherine Phillips who has carried out extensive research into the disorder and is its most authoriative expert. The knowledge the book imparts is the first prerequisite on the road to recovery. This book could save your life no less.
This book made my BDD so much worse and terrified me with the bleak treatment options for BDD, there does not seem to be much structure in the book, I felt I was reading the same few pages over and over again "Jeff thinks this about his nose" sentences like that over and over. I think the book could of been written in half the pages. I think this book may be a great help for someone studying mental health and wants to get inside the mind of a sufferer. But as someone who has suffered from BDD I would avoid this completely!
As a sufferer, just reading this book helped me to recognise that BDD was behind many of my own behaviours and that the shame of being obsessed with something so 'trivial' is shared by many. BDD sufferers are not vain and many would just like to consider themselves normal. The treatments covered in this book have helped me to lead a normal life.
Would you like to see more reviews about this item?
Most recent customer reviews
For those that struggle with dysmorphic condition I would recommend reading
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Health Issues > Popular Medicine
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners > Other Branches of Medicine > Psychiatry
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Applied Psychology > Psychotherapy
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Pathological Psychology
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Social & Developmental Psychology > Social
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Self Help > Practical & Motivational
- Books > Mind, Body & Spirit > Self Help
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Diseases & Disorders > Mental Diseases & Disorders
- Books > Science & Nature > Reference > Psychology & Psychiatry
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Medicine & Nursing > Medical Sciences A-Z > Psychiatry