Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change
Price:£4.73+ £1.26 shipping

on 1 June 2017
A very good DVD, I found out things I never knew before, not just beautiful but informative as well, thank you.
on 7 December 2013
From the title of this DVD, I was really expecting a documentary series which explores the remaining wild landscapes of the UK (of which there are very few) rather than a pure wildlife series focussing on just our native species. Its not that i'm un-interested in our wildlife, its just that I was hoping to see some of our remarkable countryside foccused on in more detail, rather than just the animals that inhabit it.

The 6 episodes on offer here are all very short, lasting little more than 20 minutes each. This doesn't allow the viewer to become truely engrossed in the information and visuals that are being put accross, because just as things start to get interesting. . . it's over!

The frustrating format with which the film-makers have chosen to create this series is its main downfall, and I really don't think enough time was spent on each species. The Scottish Wildcat for example (the most endangered animal in the UK) had little more than 5 minutes devoted to it.

After reading all this negativity and dissaproval, you may wonder why I chose to award the series three stars? Well, some of the episodes are not without their highlights. The episode focussing on Scottish wildlife (despite its pathetically short segment on the wildcat) contains some beautiful shots of the landscape in which its creatures thrive. Some of the shots of the Cairngorms and Glenmore forest were particularly stunning, and the clips of the stags during rutting season were a thrill to watch.

The episode on our native otters was definitely my favorite, and also the most informative. Its quite remarkable to see how some people have devoted so much of their lives to the study and conservation of one species, to ensure it has a better chance of survival in the future.

An interesting, if not slightly brief, insight into the current status of some of our less common species. Definitely worth a look for nature buffs.
on 26 April 2014
I brought this DVD for my husband's birthday recently. We both have an interest in Natural history. This DVD is so informative and conveys to the watcher such knowledge of the diversity of animal life in Britain. The conservation work which takes place all year round to help endangered species. The photography is brilliant and the narration is also good. For anyone interested in natural history of the UK this DVD is a good choice in my opinion. Highly recommend it and a very good price and value for money.
on 1 April 2014
the dvd quality is good, and i enjoyed the photography. the only real negative is that on the cover there is a picture of a peregrine falcon, and one of the chapters on the dvd is supposed to include the falcon, but the peregrine is not even mentioned on any of the films. it was a bit of a let down. this dvd is a nice way to get the kids into british natural history
on 6 February 2014
Lovely to sit and watch and things to learn about, I will watch this many times I am sure of that
on 28 February 2016
Interesting DVD. I would like more subject material and less conservation.
on 23 October 2014
I know there had been some downside reviews on this DVD but I found it to be very suitable with some wonderful scenery and photography to say nothing of the wild life stars.True the programmes were only of short duration from Discovery Channel and some of the talking went on a bit too long in some cases but come on - what do you expect for sitting in your home comfort, watching such enchanting creatures and all for under £4 - in this day and age.
on 12 March 2016
Brilliant,the best wildlife DVD
on 17 July 2016
very informative
on 17 February 2017
Thank you for my DVD looking forward to watching it as I love anything to do with wildlife