on 25 February 2016
Had this book, but in re vamping house, have lost it! Was glad to find second hand one to replace! Very good book , for those with basic bird knowledge! At least , I now know who is visiting the bird table!
on 3 March 2015
I have the French Language version of this - to improve my French specialist vocabulary. That is a straight translation of this excellent book. The price I paid for this was fabulous value. It arrived promptly and its condition was, in my opinion, "new". I'm very happy.
on 25 March 2015
A very well organised book. Amazed at the condition of the book as a pre-owned edition. The only hint as to its previous owner is a slight scuff Mark on the cover. Well worth the £0.01 and the postage to Italy.
on 23 March 2014
Use it loads,best bird book for fast recognition in the field.I'm no twitcher just an enthusiast.Book may be old but how quickly do birds evolve??
on 10 January 2015
as I expected it to be
on 23 June 2016
Really good old fashioned bird book. I love it, so useful and quick to find the bird. Portable and well presented. Thoroughly recommend this to all birders.
on 9 April 2016
Front cover was grubby, but wiped off with damp cloth, rest as described by seller.
on 7 April 2015
I now have 2 copies of this , it is perfect for the car glove box when out & about.
on 19 July 2016
the very best bird book there is - this one went to Spain for a friends birthday
on 2 December 2010
This is apparently the original edition of "Birds of Britain and Europe with North Africa and the Middle East", written by Hermann Heinzel, Richard Fitter and John Parslow. In 1995, the book was substantially re-written, and essentially morphed into another book. I happen to have a copy of the Swedish translation of the 1972 edition, and yes, it sure could need a rebind!

As a kid, I considered Heinzel-Fitter-Parslow to be the coolest birdbook around, much cooler than Bruuns and Singers book "Birds of Britain and Europe". For starters, it contained more species, since it also included North Africa, Turkey and parts of the Middle East. I particularly enjoyed the Hypocolius and the Ring-Necked Parakeet, LOL. The book also included more subspecies, with a penchant for those living on the Canary Island, the Azores, and Madeira. Did I mention the Parakeet? Thus, it was a perfect book to show your kiddie friends. Or showing off.

Later, I realized that "real" bird-watchers actually preferred Bruun and Singer, while poor Heinzel et.al. were hardly ever mentioned in any context, at least not here in Sweden. I also noticed that the Swedish translation contained some curious misprints. Some birds on the plates are never mentioned in the actual text (a humorous error - usually the opposite is the case in bird books), some maps are missing, etc. If the book is good or bad as a field guide to birds, I honestly don't know. I told my parents to buy it, only to have the flashiest birdbook in the neighborhood. :-D

BTW, I noticed that the new 1995 edition looks more like Bruun's and Singer's book, which is almost tantamount to HIGH TREASON. LOL! However, it contains more parakeets, so perhaps I should let it pass...

OK, sorry for this nostalgia trip, but I just couldn't help myself.

;-)