- Paperback: 720 pages
- Publisher: Penguin; 01 edition (26 Jun. 2014)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0141038942
- ISBN-13: 978-0141038940
- Product Dimensions: 13 x 3.3 x 19.8 cm
- Average Customer Review: 4.6 out of 5 stars See all reviews (27 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 57,156 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Britain Against Napoleon: The Organization of Victory, 1793-1815 Paperback – 26 Jun 2014
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
A wonderfully disorienting read ... for [Knight] the real heroes of the struggle against Napoleon are not Wellington or Nelson or Collingwood or Cochrane but the clerks and administrators and 'silent men of business' who put Britain's armies in the field and kept her ships at sea and her allies in funds and ultimately won the war ... there is scarcely a wasted sentence here, not a duff page, not a chapter ... that does not bring you very close to the realities of a total war (David Crane Spectator)
About the Author
Roger Knight was Deputy Director of the National Maritime Museum until 2000, and now teaches at the Greenwich Maritime Institute at the University of Greenwich. His previous books for Allen Lane/Penguin are The Pursuit of Victory: The Life and Achievement of Horatio Nelson, which won the Duke of Westminster's Medal for Military History, the Mountbatten Award and the Anderson Medal of the Society for Nautical Research, and Britain Against Napoleon: The Organization of Victory, 1793-1815.
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top Customer Reviews
The book also deals with the British governmental structure, the personalities involved, how they were influenced, the decisions they made, their strengths and weaknesses and the outcomes that resulted.
The work is obviously the product of some extensive and detailed research and comes together in a really captivating read about momentous times for the people of this country under the threat of invasion at a time of sail powered warships.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
A really brilliant book! Would thoroughly recommend to anyone who is studying the Napoleonic Wars.Published 8 months ago by Anna
It is an extremely well researched book that builds a comprehensive picture of Britain's long struggle with France in the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars.Published 16 months ago by John Bugg
This is a classic, a magnificent book explaining how Britain modernised itself in the late 18th century, in almost all fields, industrial, economic and political. Read morePublished 20 months ago by Robert Sebag-Montefiore
A tour de force of research and organization, written with clarity and lucidity; it encompasses all aspects of the warPublished on 19 Oct. 2014 by Rothes
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Europe > Great Britain
- Books > History > Military History > Armed Forces > Naval Forces
- Books > History > Military History > Napoleonic Wars
- Books > History > Military History > Strategy, Tactics & Military Science
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Archaeology > Maritime Archaeology