on 1 August 2013
My wife listened to a recent radio broadcast of this story and I picked up on fragments of it that held my interest. Although now available only in hardback or on kindle, I at least managed to read it and be blown away by its recreation of a world now gone forever. Set, ostensibly, in the present of the late 1940s, it is in fact about the England of 1913 and the hopes and values of the generation lost to the First World War. It also works on a more subtle and deeper level exploring the way we experience time, memory and the ever-moving 'now'. Priestly's characters explode from the pages with their, laughter, love and generosity and his recreation of place and season is spellbinding.
This is the first thing of his I've ever read, and how I've missed him I don't know. In trying to find more of his work I've been horrified to find that he his virtually out-of-print. How can one of England's greatest men of letter have become so ignored?
on 27 May 2013
Priestley once again shows his ability to take us to a time and place of his choosing but still let our imaginations wonder. The only reason it didn't get a 5 star rating was the indifferent quality of the Preface - both in terms of content and editing, at times this was long-winded and badly written.
on 30 August 2013
Priestley gives an almost autobiographical account of England pre and post war life with an interesting view of the Hollywood film industry this book resonates as much now as it did then
on 21 June 2013
I don't like to think how many years it is since I last read J B Priestley, but one plus is that all those intervening years' experience have made me pro rata the more appreciative of both his humour and observation: this one and 'Angel Pavement' I would recommend to anyone, regardless of their (perceived) level of social stratum!
on 8 November 2012
I loved the underlying message in this story.It is life affirming, in all senses.Read it once in your life !
on 5 February 2014
I had not read a Priestley novel for some time and I was fascinated to find this one as sympathetic and absorbing as I remembered them.

The story is written simply and from the heart. He must have been an interesting person to know.
on 25 February 2014
I wouldn't recommend this book, I prefer a more up to date book to read. The book is too slow and although there are some very good passages overall it wouldn't be a book of my choice. I read the book because my Book Club decided that this was the book to be read.
on 1 October 2015
Sad that this special edition, at least my copy, has the novel in varying levels of grey type, which is probably an unintended result of poor quality control. If you're buying this online, you'd do better to get a different edition, even if it doesn't include a short bio of this wondrous writer.