on 25 January 2003
This book was written by an Australian and it shows! The text is concise and potentially hard to follow as a result of its brevity although there are many clear diagrams. Many of the techniques covered are not really relevent to UK building practices eg pipework in cavity walls, and dimensions are imperial and may not correspond to UK material sizes.
The easy going style of the author is refreshing and the long section of BBQ designs was all too predictable, cobbers!
on 23 October 2007
There's a lot in this book and the author obviously knows his trade but he's Australian. I purchased this book for the concrete block section in readiness for my garage build. In this respect the book is useless and discusses non UK block sizes. I agree with the first review here, if in the UK look elsewhere.
VINE VOICEon 1 March 2009
Current building regulations here in the UK would almost certainly make the contents of this book redundant here. In addition, the book is poorly written and hence, confusing.
on 25 March 2005
I have been a bricklayer for 18 years and thought that there was little that I did not know how to do. This book is very clear and easy to follow and even with my experience I found that I learned a thing or two. It is well illustrated and the text is clear and straightforward, I now recommended it to my apprentices.
on 20 February 2011
This is an excellent introduction to brickwork.A no nonsense style of of writting helps to get you straight to the various techniques.Although the author is Austrailian brickwork is brickwork the various building regulations change all the time.All measurements are in metric & imperial(us) standards.Some of the methods are for the bigger project but overall you can glean an awful lot of information for your garden wall type of job.A nice little book.
on 7 December 2007
I am a builder and bought this book to help imporve my brickwork and blockwork skills. It did not. It is American and does not 'translate well'.
on 30 December 2005
Reading this book taught me loads, while learning bricklaying it seemed like nobody wants to show you anything.Reading this book cover to cover gave me the edge in this highly competitive trade.
on 22 March 2010
still reading this but i'll use it as i'm working and finding it very usefull
on 7 November 2014