- Also check our best rated Hot Water Dispenser reviews
Breville VCF042 Wake Cup Hot Water Dispenser
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
- Boiling water dispenser for two cups making tea and/ or coffee
- Includes digital alarm clock with drink-making on alarm or alarm only option and gradual wake up light
- 700 ml capacity
- Fitted with non-slip base, easy clean drip tray and cord storage
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What do customers buy after viewing this item?
Wake up to a tasty hot drink without leaving the cosy comfort of your bed with the Breville VCF042 Wake Cup Hot Water Dispenser. A hot drink can provide that all important energy boost on busy days or be part of a relaxing lie-in. However you start your day, it's an essential part of the morning ritual. And thanks to the Wake Cup you don't have to traipse to the kitchen or even leave your bed to enjoy a freshly brewed hot drink.
The Wake Cup sits by your bedside and includes a digital alarm clock. This can be programmed to start making a hot drink when the alarm rings and boasts a number of other features designed to help you start the day feeling refreshed.
Wake Up To a Hot Drink from Your Bed
Start your day with a freshly brewed hot drink care of the Wake Cup. This compact unit dispenses boiling water into two cups without you having to leave your bed. You can use all varieties of regular and herbal teabags, as well as instant coffees, hot chocolate and other soluble drinks. With the option of making one or two cups, you can make the same beverage or two different ones.
Set the Digital Alarm Clock for an Immediate Hot Drink
The process begins when the included digital alarm clock is programmed. Confirm what time you wish the alarm to sound and the next morning, you'll be awoken by the alarm to find the Wake Cup is moments away from a hot drink. The hot drink and alarm features can also be used separately. If you don't fancy a brew one morning, simply set the alarm without the beverage option. Or if you want a drink without the alarm press the beverage button alone.
If you like to gradually start your day, there's the snooze option. Once the alarm has rung, pressing the snooze button will schedule it to ring again in a short period of time so you get a second nudge out of bed.
Found on the top of the Wake Cup unit, the digital alarm clock display is illuminated so it can be seen throughout the night. This reacts in accordance with a built-in light sensor which alters the display in relation to the ambient light. This prevents your sleep from being disturbed.
You can also insert a battery into the unit which will prevent oversleeping should you experience a power cut.
Gradual Light to Help Get Out of Bed
Getting out of bed can be tough in the mornings, especially in winter when it can still be dark. That's why the Wake Cup includes a Dawn Simulator. This helpful design feature gradually lights up the room 90 seconds before the alarm rings. This provides a gentle, less intrusive introduction to the day and works with the alarm to bring you to ready alertness. It remains lit for up to 30 minutes or until it is switched off manually.
Compact Unit with All the Important Kit
The Wake Cup is compact so it doesn't take up too much space by your bedside and is kitted out with a number of helpful additions. Stored at the rear of the unit is the filler jug to be used to fill the Wake Cup with water and there is also a 350 millilitre (ml) stainless steel flask. This provides somewhere to keep your milk cool overnight so there's no need to trek to the fridge to complete your drink or alternatively pour your drink into the flask if leaving the house in a hurry.
The unit itself includes an integrated storage compartment for you to keep teabags and other small equipment out of the way and can also be used to rest used spoons on. The Wake Cup is easy to clean and care for thanks to the drip tray. This keeps things tidy, collecting any spilled liquid in one place and with a cover so there's no fear of knocking this over. This tray can then be removed from the unit and the mess conveniently disposed of.
The Wake Cup is fitted with a non-slip base to hold the unit secure and in place and cord storage to keep your bedside table fuss-free.
Easy to use
Remove the filter jug from the rear of the unit and fill it with the desired amount of fresh, cold water. Pour this into the 700 ml water tank and place your cups--complete with your chosen drink ingredients--on the tray. Press the dispensing button to begin the process, or alternatively press it to cancel it completely.
When the alarm sounds, the boiled water will automatically begin to fill the cups. The dispensing lights will illuminate during the pouring process and these will remain lit a few minutes after dispensing. This acts as a safety feature, confirming that the unit has been in recent use and so is still warm. Once the cups are filled, prepare the drinks to your taste.
Breville is the leading brand of small home kitchen appliances in the UK, with a hugely successful range of products across the spectrum of kitchen appliances including kettles, toasters, irons, blenders, food processors, microwaves and many others. Breville's success is driven by innovation and design, as well as a determination to provide great looking, high quality products that meet the demands of every kitchen in the country.
Top customer reviews
1) I wake up so much easier in the morning knowing a hot drink is on it's way
2) It makes a nice cup of tea too
3) The flask is very useful for the milk
4) The water jug has a set of lines on it to help work out how much water you need for your size mug
5) You can set the alarm without a drink, you can manually make a drink at any time such as if you wake up early
6) It has a built in light (but I wouldn't class it as a wake up light, it's not that bright)
7) It automatically boils all the water you put in and dispenses it via the two nozzles-so it's simple to operate whether you want one drink or two, just place more/less water in and one/two mugs below
8) Two people can have different drinks as it only dispenses the hot water, you put the coffee/tea bag into the mug
9) It's smaller than I had feared so fits easily on the bedside table
10) The slight delay between the alarm going off and the water dispensing does not bother me at all-it gives me time to go the toilet!
1) The flask does tend to get quite smelly as the milk can become warm by morning. I've never noticed it affects my tea but I don't like the smell it leaves in the flask. This is hardly Breville's fault though and they do give a useful tip in the guidance manual of filling it with hot water and bicarbonate of soda and leave to soak.
2) The integral tray for placing your teaspoon/teabag on does not remove for cleaning (but I have found a good old wet one works wonders on those tea stains)
3) The display is so bright! Although it does automatically adjust for surrounding light/darkness it is still too bright when it's next to your head in bed. I read another review prior to purchasing which recommended coloured film-I found light orange works a treat at dimming the display but allowing the display to be readable (albeit it less so). If you don't have some film buy some quality street for the wrapper.
4) You do have to remember to set it up the night before-put milk in the flask, put water in and put a mug and teaspoon in place
5) Like a kettle it does produce a lot of steam so would not be suitable for a confined space e.g. in bookshelves
6) I would say the nozzles are a lot closer together than shown in the picture but it is still possible to get the water into two cups
All in all I love the convenience of it and it feels very luxurious!
Reading the instructions I saw about de-scaling the machine "every three months or so". Although I had only had it for about two weeks I decided to try Sainsbury's appliance de-scaler. Eureka! After a few flush throughs and a couple of days use we now wake to a perfect cuppa with no off tastes.
So having solved the taste problem what do I think of it? Well it is nice, after all the years since we had to ditch our elderly Teasmade, to be able to wake up to a cup of tea in the morning. Once you have mastered the instructions for the alarm (it is not difficult but not intuitive) it is easy to use and works well. It also looks good. What would I like to see changed? Only one thing really and that is the brightness of the display at night. It seems everything you buy these days has a light built into it. What with our radio clock/alarm, the telephone with it's LCD display and now the Wake Cup it is not exactly dark in the bedroom at night!
If it had not been bought as a present would I buy one? Definitely - but it would have helped if I had known about using de-scaler.
The Wake Cup is much more modern and stylish in appearance than the rival Teasmade and also more modern in the makers' acceptance of the fact that not everyone uses teapots to make their tea, some people prefer other hot drinks to tea - or would simply like the option to have other drinks on occasion and people like various sizes of cup/mug ....all of which can be catered for by the Wake Cup.
The supplied flask for milk is of excellent quality and the water filler has its own designated slot.
My one problem with this item is the clock diplay which illuminated the entire bedroom and made sleeping next to it difficult. I have resolved this problem by creating my own makeshift cover to hide the display at night - the need to do this is the reason for giving four stars to what is otherwise a five star product.
Most recent customer reviews
Look for similar items by category