on 25 June 2017
The last 25% was ok. Think the author dragged out the story. Had about 3 attempts to read it as it was so slow. You could also predict how the love interest would go.
on 30 April 2017
Finished...it was OK...I must admit I did not enjoy it as much as I thought I would...just could not get into the characters as I have with her other books.📚
on 1 August 2017
I really enjoyed this book. Loved the setting and the characters. An easy read and an ideal piece of escapism!
on 28 August 2017
I enjoyed the pace and twists of the story. It has been the perfect book to help me recover from a serious illness. A real feel good story.
on 31 May 2017
A most delightful story.
on 13 March 2017
Very easy read
on 13 January 2018
Lovely light reading, captured imagination, thank you.
on 23 September 2013
Never read Ali MCNAmara before but this is an easy tale, good for a light easy read to help you unwind after work.
on 5 November 2013
I loved this book! I was gripped right from the first page. I instantly bonded with Darcy and wanted the best for her. She seems lovely and turns out to be a loyal, strong, independent woman. She's someone you could rely on and have a laugh with and I imagine she'd give great advice, not to mention always have a chocolate stash.

I've never been anywhere like the island of Tara but I could picture it so clearly in my mind. It sounds like a little haven, somewhere so special and secret. There is magic happening all over the island, it's deep roots are a mystery to all, except for old Eamon. He knows exactly what is going on around him. The folklore and history all around Tara makes this whole story intriguing and a little mysterious. I really liked that aspect, it's different from most chick-lit. Ali does this very well!!

All of the characters bring something unique to Tara (and to the whole story) and I feel like I developed a bit of a relationship with them all. Breakfast at Darcy's has done something to me. It's made me feel like part of the community on the island. Not just like someone reading a book. I didn't want to read the last chapter because I wasn't ready to leave Tara yet. That's a strange feeling. Being so hooked, so involved in a book that I actually feel like I belonged inside it. I kind of like it!!

I'm at a bit of a loss now because I feel like any other book I read now will pale in comparison...

Hugely moving, captivating and emotional 5/5
on 12 February 2012
I loved Ali McNamara's debut novel, From Notting Hill With Love... Actually, when I read it last year so I added this book to my Amazon wishlist as soon as I knew it was being released. Fortunately I was lucky enough to win a copy of this book in a Christmas competition so I couldn't wait for it to arrive so that I could start reading it and I wasn't disappointed.

Not surprisingly the main character is Darcy, a journalist who enjoys the fast paced life in London, who finds out at the reading of her Aunt Molly's will that she has inherited an Island and a substantial amount of money but there's a catch ... she has to live on the Island for a year and persuade 14 complete strangers to come and live with her!

At first Darcy does not even consider this as an option but following an encounter with a work colleague and a flooded ceiling in her flat, she takes these as a sign to leave and take up the challenge.

With the help of her solicitor Niall, who decides to take a year out and join her on the Island, they recruit builder Dermot who also joins them and together they begin interviewing for people to come and join them on the Island including charming boatman Conor.

After a few initial hick-ups, including a few of the original islanders choosing to leave, Darcy and the others come together to decide how they are going to make living on the Island a success, both personally and professionally.

One thing I loved about the book, but reading other reviews others did not, was the Celtic myths and legends mentioned throughout the book. I thought that it was just the right amount and that they did not distract from the story of life living on the Island of Tara. Overall this was a really enjoyable book to read and I cannot wait until her next novel is released.