on 31 July 2017
This epilator is the real deal. I'm someone with a lot of thick, coarse body hair so was asking a lot of this machine to pull them out... and it gets 95%+ of hairs on the first try, you only need a quick run over afterwards to make sure you catch any at an odd angle and you're done. None of this going over and over the same area and still having hair left, as is my experience with cheaper machines. It's super powerful and will pull out even long hairs, which on some other models will just break at the root and not be pulled out. It also gets really really short hairs very effectively, so you only need a day's worth of stubble before you can get to work, which is not something I've found with other brands.

As for the pain... it's an epilator. It's gonna hurt. But the fact that it's so efficient makes a huge difference to how long you have to spend torturing yourself, which is as much as you can ask really. Tips for use: hold it firmly against the skin and use a higher setting, and it is much less painful and enduring that way! There are attachments for sensitive areas, which mainly just reduce the width of the epilator so you are pulling out hairs from a smaller area at a time. I can see how these would be useful if you were doing a narrow area (eg stache/unibrow) but I've not used them myself. I find it's better to do it all at once on a high setting and get it over with, but YMMV. The cooling mitten, however.... lifesaver. The first time you do this, the skin can get very inflamed for a little while and it really helps to reduce the discomfort. I never would have thought to invest in this myself alongside but it's a great addition.

Only minor complaint... the dial is a bit annoying. I would rather have had one that stuck out so I could grip it. But honestly, this product is so good I don't feel like I can drop a star for something that doesn't compromise it's ability to work.

Also be aware that this comes with a shaver plug, so purchase an adaptor if you are planning to use this outside of the bathroom. Which frankly I would recommend you do, because the first time you use this it's not gonna be quick. Put on some TV, pop some ibuprofen, and make sure you've got plenty of time before you start!
16 people found this helpful
on 18 July 2017
I love it. So easy to use. Can be a little painful at first, but it's great now & the hairs don't grow back for a few weeks. I get quite a lot of facial hair & now it's not a problem. I would certainly recommend it.
10 people found this helpful
on 2 November 2017
To be honest, I've struggled with this and didn't find it very effective for my hair type.

On my legs, tends to break the hairs off at skin level, rather than pulling them out by the roots, so a couple of days later I have stubble. I have very fine, blond hair on my legs. I've tried using it 4-5 times on my legs, checking that I'm holding it properly perpendicular to the skin and pulling the skin taunt, and trimming the hair the day before so it was optimal length, making sure my skin is completely clean and dry, but it's still breaking all the hairs every time. The only positive is that it's not too painful - a bit ouchy the first time, but only slightly uncomfortable on subsequent usings.

I also tried a couple of times on the armpit, but found there it was mostly yanking very painfully on the hairs, but not actually removing most of them. So you go over a small area, it REALLY hurts, but when you look at the skin you've just tried to epilate, 90-95% of the hairs are still in situ. And the few it did pull out left bleeding pores. I think perhaps my armpit hairs are really deeply rooted (the length of the few hairs it did pull out surprised me - 2-3mm visible above the skin, but 8mm long once pulled), which would explain why they're so hard to pull out and so painful.

Also tried the bikini line a couple of times - again REALLY painful. I've had bikini waxes, and this was far, far more painful, and again, I found it really hard to actually get the hair gone. Partially this may be that I found it hard to find the right angle to use the machine.

So overall, after about 2 months of trying, I've given up on this. I just can't get it to work :(
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 7 February 2018
A brilliant little tool, I have a very downy face and have been shaving for about a year, because I read it is ok to do so....!! I didn't find it so ok because even with very fine hair it make your lip and chin feel very stubbly. I have used this epilator on my face several times now and it's so much more feminine, hair regrowth is soft and natural and you don't need to look downy as this product is very good at plucking out short fine hairs. I do find it a little painful when using on my top lip, but well worth the perseverance. I have also used on under arm, for arm, groin and pubic area, but not my legs as I was due for a wax appointment. This product has paid for its self already and I'm so glad I bought it, there are a few negative reviews but many positive.
A little tip.... Use on a area that has very short regrowth it is a lot less painful than using on longer hair, shave and epilat on new growth after a few days if necessary.
4 people found this helpful
on 2 September 2017
I tried a more basic version of the Silk-Epil, after my original one finally broke. It wasn't as good so I treated myself to the Silk-Epil 5. Looked like it would be a good balance between price and quality.
I'm impressed with this epilator. The light helps me spot those pesky hairs that could be otherwise missed. I don't use any of the other heads, just the main one, and I don't bother with the cold pack because I've been epilating for a while so it doesn't hurt much any more. For new users I'm sure the gel cold pack would be useful.
I did try the shaver head and it worked well on leg hair, but I prefer to epilate.
on 5 November 2017
Not a bad epilator. It's got a good speed, and although it's corded, the cord is nice and long and the plug is designed to be plugged into the shaver socket in the bathroom. The extra heads are unnecessary (imho) and don't really add much to the overall package. It's more effective on thicker hairs though - thinner ones tend to get left behind, or snapped off at skin level rather than pulled out. It's also not very sturdy. I dropped mine about 2 feet onto the bathroom floor, and it stopped working, so although I've only had it a year I now need to buy a new one. Next time, I'm going to try a different brand.
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 16 December 2017
I have been epilating for many years and have used many a different epilating products but this one is the best i have had in years. Mains operated. Although you have to buy an adapter to make it work in England (which i find a cheek) it really is easy to use. I had recently bought another brand epilator for more than double the price of this one and it does not work anywhere near as efficiently as this one.
My whole legs are epilated in no more than 10 mins and feel super smooth. Love it
2 people found this helpful
on 19 September 2017
I dont know how I did without this! I use the shaver more than anything and its great. My arm hair was bordering on ape and its now a thing of the past, no more hairy man arms! It has a few different attachments for various areas and you can wash it under running water. The epilator is an epilator and I don't care what anyone says they all hurt! This one is no exception and does its job well. There is a nice cooling mitt you can chuck in the fridge before you use the implement of torture though so thats a bonus! You can buy replacement heads too which is good.
One person found this helpful
on 20 August 2017
I have only used the epilator once so far but am very pleased with the results. It took a while to remove all the hair (I assume as the first time of using it), but haven't experienced any ingrown hairs or any other problems which is great.

My only issue is with the description of the product provided by the seller. It states that the epilator is cordless (and therefore can also be used in the shower). This isn't the case - the epilator needs to be plugged into the mains. This isn't a massive issue but one of the reasons I purchased this epilator over cheaper products was the fact that it was cordless and could also be used wet. I can only imagine the incorrect description was included in the post, but this should be amended accordingly to avoid any confusion or misleading information for other customers.
2 people found this helpful
on 30 November 2016
This is a product at the age of 32 have said to myself why didn't I buy this years ago. Ive often thought about it but never did. Seemed like a lot of money v's shaving. Go for it, I'm glad I did. Yes it did hurt the first use as I had a full leg of hair. The joy of being at home you can stop and start if you need to. After a few uses my hairs are coming though at different stages and less than shaving. I'm looking forward to showing my legs on in the summer. I already dont have to use it so regularly now and it doesn't hurt anymore. I was worried about the two pin plug the cable is long enough, Ive sat all over the bathroom floor, and the side of the bath and even the loo seat. The machine has a little light which is helpful but could be better. Im so chuffed with this purchase.
One person found this helpful