Customer reviews

on 26 June 2013
Loved it.

I bought this book shortly after being asked to review various communications my company sends to its customers.

It's really helped me think about how I want our customers to feel when they read our letters and emails.

The main thing I liked was that it's written in such a user-friendly and digestible way. Short, punchy chapters that grab even the tiniest of attention spans (like mine).
on 5 February 2015
I've worked with language branding for 10 years and this is by far the best, most accessible introduction to brand language I have come across. With its hands-on approach (a rarity in books on branding), this book demonstrates why a clear, distinct voice is no longer a nice-to-have reserved for the Apples, Ikeas and Googles of this world. Follow the approach that Wordtree sets out and you can develop a voice of your own - and reap the benefits that this brings. For your brand, your culture and your bottom-line.
on 25 April 2014
I love this book. It is succinct, practical and very easy to read. As an experienced copywriter I enjoyed the insight into some techniques that I use instinctively but have never quite understood or been able to explain. A very quick and refreshing read, suitable for anyone who needs to write for a business.
on 18 May 2014
The book was informative and thought-provoking. It is written in an 'easy read' style, making it very enjoyable as well as educational. Well done this author.
on 26 March 2015
I’ve read lots of books on copywriting and branding but rarely have I read one that’s so sensible, clear and downright useful. Apart from that it was a pleasure to read. Bravo!
on 15 October 2012
This box is excellent and really stretches your writing skills. If you work in a Marketing/Commercial writing environment, that you NEED this book!
on 16 October 2012
I recently attended a Tone of Voice course run by the author and was given this book as part of the course material. It is one of the few text books I have read from cover to cover - and genuinely enjoyed doing so. The style is perfectly judged and explains all of the key points in an informed, entertaining and concise way.

I'm not a professional writer, but I run a small management consultancy business and I'd highly recommend this book to anybody in a similar situation, who wants to express their company's personality, but without the expense of hiring in brand consultants. Before I read this book, I didn't understand concepts such as brand personality and tone of voice, but now I do and I see how vital it is to ensure that my message gets through and is memorable to my customers.

This book has genuinely helped me to re-evaluate how I think about my company's brand - and has shown me how to imagine I am the brand when I'm writing, so that I can convey its personality and tone. I now have a clear method for writing commercially and am much more confident when doing so.

An excellent book and a must read.
on 23 October 2012
I worked for a large retail company and was lucky enough to have been sent on a couple of workshops given by Liz, the author. What an eye-opener!

The company was re-branding and was changing its tone of voice quite considerably. We were sent on the course to be shown how to get our products across in a more friendly way and without the need for shouting at the customer. It was fantastic and I must admit, I wasn't really aware of how important tone of voice was.

I've now started my own small business and the knowledge gained from those workshops, and then reading this brand language book, has been invaluable. I'm not a writer - my background is in graphic design and proof-reading - but have done most of the written stuff for the business myself. I now keep a copy of this book with me for reference when writing anything, so I can consistently get the personality of my brand across to my customers, in the way that I want.

This book is an absolute must-have for anyone with a business, big or small. It enables you to get your point across in a way that your customers can relate to and, ultimately, want to buy from you. It's easy to read and follow and makes so much sense that it takes away any fear you may have had initially about writing.
on 21 May 2013
This book is a must read for anyone who wants to write better copy for their business brand. In fact, it will help you improve and polish your writing in every area. Tone of voice will make all the difference.

The book itself appears deceptively simple. Once you actually do the exercises then you'll see the great results. Not only will your copy improve but you will get very deep insights into your business brand; what it stands for and who it is aimed at. Liz Doig has written this book in a very straightforward and open style with plenty of examples and a wealth of hints and tips. This approach speaks incredibly well for her own business which is why the message is powerful and the process information within the book is something you need to know about and adopt.

Highly recommended.
on 27 January 2013
I've worked with Liz and her company over the last few years (as a client), and her book is an excellent, easy to read but very potent manual.

If you've ever thought language isn't important to how your company or brand (or even yourself) is viewed, then read this. And if you know it's important, but aren't sure whether you've got the right tone or not, then dive in.

The chapters take you through everything from how to assess a brand's current tone of voice, the competition's tone of voice, through to how to really make copy sing out and reflect the brand's true personality.

Lots of exercises help you through the process, and having been on a Wordtree residential weekend (called The Treehouse Weekend) where we used them in real life, I can vouch for the fact that they're fun to do: getting deep insights into a brand doesn't have to be tedious.

Whether you're a client looking at your own tone of voice, or an agency or freelancer helping a client find theirs, this is a great book for you.