on 5 March 1999
When I purchased this book, the first thing I wanted to do was zip ahead to Dr. Khalsa's program to improve cognition and read it first. However, the chapters that detailed his various patients' cases and the treatments they received were absorbing. The book also explains the various functions of the brain and its systems that, in turn, gave me a stronger reason to adhere to the programs that the doctor suggests. Not only does the book give good practical advice concerning nutrition and stress-management, but also excellent spiritual advice. It is a beautiful, well-rounded book that will lead its readers to a path of enlightenment. The interesting comparisons of Eastern thought to Western thought are interesting and are presented in a manner that everyone will appreciate. If you're over 40 and some of your memory seems to be slipping, I would certainly invest it this book.
This book contains good news based on the latest scientific discoveries, which it uses and applies together with ancient wisdom, to present a practical guide towards retaining and enhancing cognitive ability despite the biological aging process.
The 5 principles of brain longevity are: 1. The brain is flesh and blood; 2.The powers of the brain are virtually limitless; 3. The brain is capable of infinite joy and pleasure; 4. The brain has a plastic quality and can renew itself; 5. Much about the brain remains a mystery.
Part I covers the discovery of brain longevity therapy, Part II explains how the brain works and Part III deals with designing a brain longevity program. This includes the brain longevity diet, nutritional therapy (including the role of vitamins A, B, C and E, minerals like magnesium, selenium and zinc, amino acids like phenylalanine, glutamine, methionine, arginine and tryptophan, substances like co-enzyme Q10 and tonics like gingko biloba, phosphatidyl serine, acetyl-l-carnitine, ginseng, DMAE and green tea.
This section also includes methods of stress management, mind/body exercises and the assessment of the efficacy of various medicines like deprenyl.
Khalsa’s book is highly recommended to people who wish to take responsibility for their own health with special emphasis on maintaining the highest levels of cognitive ability. It concludes with a Resources and Referrals section and a thorough index. I also recommend the book Mind Boosters by Ray Sahelian, an examination of natural substances that promote cognitive longevity.
on 9 July 1998
Five years ago I received a nasty head injury. Before the accident I was pushing my neural limit, employed as a scientist concurrent with writing my doctoral disseration. I learned a great deal about how the jigsaw puzzle between our ears works. I bought the book because he stated the brain grows new neurons. I and friends who have had "spectacular recoveries" know this. The book is a multifaceted approach to how our neural networks, and our selves, integrate. Good work.
on 17 January 1998
In Brain Longevity Dr. Khalsa offers hope for our steadily increasing, aging population. His program, designed to aid in preventing loss of cognitive function and improve on what we have, is based on sound nutrition, supplemental tonics (antioxidants and herbs for the most part), mind body exercises, and an occasional boost from pharmaceuticals.

Dr. Khalsa's education and medical credentials are impressive, an evident attribute as he explains brain anatomy and biochemistry and how stress interferes with the brain's harmonious functioning. His reliance on eastern relaxation exercises and chants, gleaned from his sikh religious affiliation, render a timely spiritual dimension to his program. Similar to the works of Dr. Andrew Weil, Khalsa's program is a welcome relief from the usual dry, arrogrant approach commonly employed by the medical establishment.

Alternating research studies, principles of pharmacokinetics and case studies, he presents his material convincingly. His case studies encompass a broad spectrum of patients whose cognitive function has improved, and range from executives and former drug addicts with mild symptoms to patients in the advanced stages of Alzheimer's Disease. Khalsa illustrates the individual tailoring of his program, especially in regard to the use of pharmaceutical cognitive enhancers.

As his major thesis, Khalsa attributes stress and its subsequent release of cortisol to be the major cause of brain cell deterioration. His program presents a plausible solution for both preventing stress and regenerating new neurons to repair existing damage.

No magician sprouting a cure-all from a bandstand, Dr. Khalsa emphasizes that this is not a magic bullet approach, but a major lifestle plan with a variety of steps and options, a plan that also improves cardiovascular health and promotes well-being.

My only regret is that his studies weren't available twenty years ago when my mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease directly related to the stess of suddenly losing a child after a traumatic accident.
on 7 July 2014
The book is very enlightening and makes you look at eating as a way to build the necessary molecules to manage your body, your brain, your cognition and your health. He also navigates between West and East medicine, which I find incredibly refreshing.
on 23 August 1999
I have learned alot, besides helping my knowledge about the workings of the brain in reference to nutrients. I know this info. will help my mom and dad coping with their ageing problems. I have a book and mailing one down to them in Fla.. I am going to hi-lite pertinent info. Thanks. Joe
on 3 June 1997
I really enjoyed this book. Dr. Khalsa has a
passion for his work that carries over into his
writing. In straightforward fashion he moves from a very good discussion of how the brain works to a well organized plan for how anyone can employ nutritional, stress reduction, and exercise techniques as well as pharmacological therapies to prevent brain degeneration, optimize performance, and even reverse the course of such conditions as age related memory loss and Alzheimer's disease. I began reading this book to educate myself. I came away a "convert" to Dr. Khalsa's program. He convinced me to make some lifestyle changes that no doubt will enhance my overall well being and quality of life. I can think of no higher praise for a book than this.
on 19 February 1998
Absolutely fantastic book.. The best book on health I have read this year (and I read a lot), easy read and potentially complicated material presented nicely. Dr Khalsa you should be commended for a monumental piece of work. Thank you
Part I covers the discovery of brain longevity therapy, Part II explains how the brain works and Part III deals with designing a brain longevity program. This includes the brain longevity diet, nutritional therapy (including the role of vitamins A, B, C and E, minerals like magnesium, selenium and zinc, amino acids like phenylalanine, glutamine, methionine, arginine and tryptophan, substances like co-enzyme Q10 and tonics like gingko biloba, phosphatidylserine, acetyl-l-carnitine, ginseng, DMAE and green tea.

Khalsa's book is highly recommended to people who wish to take responsibility for their own health with special emphasis on maintaining the highest levels of cognitive ability. It concludes with a Resources and Referrals section and a thorough index. I also recommend the book Mind Boosters by Ray Sahelian, an examination of natural substances that promote cognitive longevity.
on 15 December 1997
This is a well written, interesting and easy to read book. The explanation on how the brain works was a revalation, and the guidelines for preventing brain degeneration should be compulsive reading. My main impression is that prevention should begin at the earliest possible stage. One criticism is that Dr.Khalsa occasionally made wild assumptions. For example, that telelphone numbers were a specific length so that people could remember them easily. In fact the size of a phone number reflects the number of people who need phones and this is growing with the advent of the internet and mobile phone numbers. But, I suppose this is a growing field and we all have a lot to learn.