- Enjoy £1.00 credit to spend on movies or TV on Amazon Video when you purchase a DVD or Blu-ray offered by Amazon.co.uk. A maximum of 1 credit per customer applies. UK customers only. Offer ends at 23:59 GMT on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 Here's how (terms and conditions apply)
- Note: Blu-ray discs are in a high definition format and need to be played on a Blu-ray player.
- Important Information on Firmware Updates: Having trouble with your Blu-ray disc player? Will certain discs just not play? You may need to update the firmware inside your player. Click here to learn more.
Brahms / Schoenberg / Beethoven - 2013 Lucerne Festival [Claudio Abbado, Lucerne Festival Orchestra] [Blu-ray] 
Get £1 Off Amazon Video*
|Price:||£28.80 & FREE Delivery in the UK. Details|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Frequently Bought Together
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Johannes Brahms (1833-1897)
Tragic Overture, Op. 81
Arnold Schoenberg (1874-1951)
Orchestral Interlude and j "Song of the Wood Dove" from Gurre-Lieder
Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827)
Symphony No. 3 in E flat major, Op. 55 "Eroica"
With his very own "mysterious seductive power and legendary elegance" (Le Monde), Claudio Abbado opened for the last time the LUCERNE FESTIVAL in the summer of 2013. Only a few months later, the world had to bid farewell to a monumental artist, humanist, great conductor and orchestra founder. Even in the concert itself, documented here, lived a moment of farewell, as the three great works performed tell of the transience of life. The centerpiece of the Eroica is the funeral march revealing "abysses of shattering dimension" - an "intense experience" (Neue Zürcher Zeitung). This record, the last audio-visual documentation of his work, captures once again the extraordinary atmosphere of "vibrant emotionality" that always emerged when Abbado created music with his "orchestra of friends".
Picture Format Blu-ray: NTSC 16:9, Full HD
Sound Formats Blu-ray: DTS HD Master Audio, PCM Stereo
Region Code: 0 (worldwide)
Running Time: 100:12 min
Disc Format: BD 25
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
Beethoven’s “Eroica” symphony gets a robust, muscular performance. The outer movements move along nicely with plenty of rhythmic bounce. The slow movement is just incredible. As befits a funeral march, it’s taken very slowly but has an intensity beyond anything I’ve ever heard before in this music – a real sense of desolation. I found this movement extremely moving – and worth the price of the blu-ray on its own.
The excerpt from Gurrelieder is brilliantly played. The orchestra manage to combine sumptuousness with fine detail and build to some thrilling climaxes. Mihoku Fujimura is excellent as the Wood Dove – as she was on the only other available DVD of Gurrelieder under Mariss Jansons. The final climax is the stuff of goosebumps. It made me very sad that they didn’t perform and film the rest of Gurrelieder as well – it would have been tremendous.
Sound and pictures are both superb. Technical details: 24-bit LPCM Stereo and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1.
Recommended without reservation – a powerful and moving reminder of what the world has lost.