- Also check our best rated Biography reviews
The Boys from Syracuse: The Shuberts' Theatrical Empire Paperback – 5 Sep 2000
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Elegantly written... Granted access to previously unpublished sources, Hirsch describes how, for the Shuberts, Broadway was Rome with a casting couch. The Nation Hirsch presents the fascinating Shubert story, drawing on interviews with family members and others who worked for the brothers. Show Music In The Boys from Syracuse: The Shuberts' Theatrical Empire, Foster Hirsch reveals an epic tale of business successes and shenanigans on an enormous scale. Making good use of original interview material, this vividly written chronicle... is an outstanding addition to the history of the American theater. Stage Directions A sweeping account of the Shubert family saga and the transformation of the twentieth-century theater. Publishers Weekly
About the Author
Foster Hirsch, a professor of film at Brooklyn College of the City University of New York, is the author of Dark Side of the Screen, A Method to Their Madness, and Detours and Lost Highways, among many other books.
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Film, Television & Music
- Books > Biography > Theatre & Performance Art > Theatre
- Books > Music, Stage & Screen > Film > History of Film > United States
- Books > Music, Stage & Screen > Performing Arts > History
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Communication Studies > Media & Communication Industries > Television