Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Fitbit

Boycott Book 5 - only buy it used !!!!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-84 of 84 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jul 2011, 00:14:08 BST
mermaid says:
Good post..

Posted on 18 Jul 2011, 00:27:03 BST
Last edited by the author on 2 Aug 2011, 01:37:42 BST
mermaid says:
I am thoroughly enjoying a re-read of ASoIaF prior to reading Dragons.....However. I dread the wait for the next. GRRM should have worked out the 5 yr gap. The kids are too young. The plot has not progressed. Too many interesting characters have died. ADWD only has 2 Arya chapters which is a pity as hers is the only plotline which sings! If he kills her too soon, I quit. Thankyou for the many fascinated hours though. Lemore is Wylla is my posit......

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jul 2011, 19:56:35 BST
Ok have you read the Dark Tower? It turned to rot as soon as he rushed the last 3 books out . Absolutely abysmal and king has no right to comment on anyone nowadays - for the last 10 years his books have been absolute rubbish.

Posted on 31 Jul 2011, 06:35:28 BST
So, what's the matter with making money?

I first read GRRM in 1972. His story "The Second Kind of Loneliness" was on the cover of Analog Magazine. I read his stories in magazines and anthologies for years after, and in the 1990s I became a fan of the Wild Cards series.

When GRRM came to my town on his first book tour for Game of Thrones, only one of my friends knew who he was. When he arrived at the book store I was the only one there, and talked to him for about a half an hour before anyone else arrived. He was so nice about signing all the old books and magazines I'd brought with me, I decided to buy A Game of Thrones out of courtesy. (Generally I don't like fantasy.) He told me it would be a four-book series (heh, heh).

Well, now he's a household word, and with the HBO series he's raking in the cash. In his sixties.

Basically I'm saying the guy's worked his tail off his whole life and now, finally, he gets some real money. What's wrong with that?

I was disappointed with the book, too; but let's face it: if everyone was raving about it he would sell even more copies. So obviously he didn't deliberately write a bad book to make money!

If you don't like his work, don't buy it. Tell your friends not to buy it. But the guy's going to make money anyway. At least he's still alive to enjoy it. Think of many copies of LOTR were sold after the movies came out; alas, poor Tolkien was long gone.

So give Martin a break, already.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Aug 2011, 01:21:04 BST
mermaid says:
Not JK Rowling.....?

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Aug 2011, 01:28:35 BST
Last edited by the author on 2 Aug 2011, 01:41:16 BST
mermaid says:
Actually, if you'd read and believed George's own promises - in the back of his novels (SoS), etc; you might; as a long-term fan, be a tad irritated...But, yes the man has a right to do what the Hell he pleases and trolling will not change that. And it shouldn't. But please, Mr Martin, finish this wonderful tale in my lifetime! xxxxx

Posted on 5 Aug 2011, 22:05:53 BST
Last edited by the author on 5 Aug 2011, 22:06:22 BST
Gail Ramage says:
I actually enjoy the waiting between books, I don't want ASOIAF to end anytime soon. Just read some other books, read the series again, watch the HBO show, visit forums etc easy to fill the waiting time ;)

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Aug 2011, 23:31:04 BST
C. Foreman says:
Some writers write for enjoyment and, because of that, their books are amazing and get lots of money. It's always a credit to see your work being made into a tv show or film, it shows people appreciate it. If he was working for the money, it's logical that he would have been pumping out books more often than he does, so where did you get your crackpot theory from?

Not everyone is out to make money.

Posted on 28 Aug 2011, 08:39:04 BST
Last edited by the author on 28 Aug 2011, 08:40:46 BST
Matt says:
True. If GRRM were truly in it for the money he'd probably be up to book 14 by now.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  53
Total posts:  84
Initial post:  4 Dec 2010
Latest post:  28 Aug 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

This discussion is about
A Dance with Dragons Book 5: A Song of Ice and Fire
A Dance with Dragons Book 5: A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin (Paperback - 26 April 2012)
3.9 out of 5 stars (811)