- Get 2 of 2 for 10 for £10.00 offered by Amazon.co.uk. Here's how (terms and conditions apply)
- Enjoy £1.00 reward to spend on movies or TV on Amazon Video when you purchase a DVD or Blu-ray offered by Amazon.co.uk. A maximum of 1 reward per customer applies. UK customers only. Offer ends at 23:59 GMT on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 Here's how (terms and conditions apply)
- Note: Blu-ray discs are in a high definition format and need to be played on a Blu-ray player.
Other Sellers on Amazon
Boy in the Striped Pyjamas [Blu-ray]
|Additional Blu-ray options||
|New from||Used from|
|Watch Instantly with||Rent||Buy|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Special offers and product promotions
Frequently bought together
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Based upon the novel by John Boyne, The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas is a heart-wrenching tale of an unlikely friendship that forms between the son of a concentration camp commander and a young Jewish boy during World War II. Directed by renowned British filmmaker Mark Hermon (Little Voice, Brassed Off) the film features a cast that includes Vera Farmiga (The Departed, Breaking and Entering) and David Thewlis (Mike Leigh's Naked, The Big Lebowski).
Based on the book by John Boyne, The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas didn’t really get the box office recognition it deserves on its theatrical release, struggling to find a foothold amidst a stampede of blockbusters. But this is a film that, surely, is ripe for discovery on DVD.
Directed with care and diligence by Mark Herman, whose CV includes the excellent Brassed Off! and Little Voice, The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas is set during the Second World War, in and around a Nazi concentration camp. It tells its tale through the eyes of two young boys. One is the son of the camp’s commandant, while the other is wearing the striped pyjamas of the title.
The two boys meet and ultimately befriend one another, and The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas tells the difficult story of their companionship. It does it extremely well, too, careful to understate proceedings and demonstrate a restraint that serves the subject matter well. It’s also quite a lean film, and one boasting excellent performances, including David Thewlis as the aforementioned commandant.
If The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas has a problem or two, they pale in comparison to its strengths. For this is a tightly directed, moving film, that does real justice to the terrific book it’s derived from. It’s not always an easy watch, but it's very memorable.--Jon Foster--This text refers to an alternate Blu-ray edition.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Top customer reviews
Immensely touching, and expectedly sad.
The film leaves you to reconsider the notion of ''the fathers' sins...'', whilst contemplating and questioning ideas of victimisation, revenge and punishment.
In essence, the film points out that it is humanity, rather than Jewish-Nazi dichotomy, that was victimised by the holocaust.
Would you like to see more reviews about this item?
Most recent customer reviews
Look for similar items by category