Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 May 2006
As a forty something year old mother of a near teenager, I am constantly on the look out for an interesting book for my son to read. But, on having purchased 'Boy Soldier' for him, I noticed on the back cover the words 'NOT SUITABLE FOR YOUNGER READERS'. This made me stop and think - Would this be too violent? Full of four letter words? So I thought I'd have a look for myself.This is a very well written book, ok, so there's some swearing (though infrequent and no more than you'd no doubt hear in a school playground) and there's violence (say a 12 certificate film) but its a fast paced book, and highly addictive, prologue and two chapters in and I just couldn't put it down! Well Done! to messers McNab and Rigby! I'll definately be buying 'Payback' and 'Avenger' tomorrow. (Cause I want to read them!!)
33 comments| 87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 August 2006
Very few children authours these days realise that not all teenagers want books with different worlds and magical creatures. This is a real, down to earth simple book. Andy McNab has written a superb novel in "Boy Soldier" and also "Avenger" (I am looking foward to reading "Payback") I love this series! The books are impossible to put down and have a cliff hanger at every turn. The series is so refreshing and I put it up there with Anthony Horowitz in terms of excellence, if not better. Make no doubt about it, Andy McNab is a superb authour, I will definately be reading more of his work in furure.
on 14 October 2011
My 14yr boy tells me he really liked this book. He is a typical 14yr old so should be suitable for boys of this age ;)

Can't comment anymore as his review consisted of a just a few 'grunts of approval' which roughly translated is 'Wow that was a great book Dad'
on 21 August 2005
this is the first andy mcnab book i've read and i have to say, im very impressed. action-packed and a brilliant read. you won't be able to put this book down. it'll suit any age.
fans of the alex rider series by anthony horowitz should seriously consider this book!
on 9 June 2005
An avid fan of Mr McNab's work, 'Boy Soldier' proves to be an enthalling read both for adults, and McNab's new target audience - teenagers. Set in England, with a corrupt MI6 officer and his band of assassins hot on the trail of new character Fergus Watts, the pace is fast, and McNab's legendary attention to detail is ever present. After a somewhat lacking 'deep black' this is a great return to form. I look forward to 'Aggressor' in November. Keep it up andy!..(Sir)
on 19 May 2005
Boy Soldier is a completely absorbing read, once you pick it up it is impossible not to have to finish it in one sitting. The novel has the qualities of a great thriller in abundance - it's fast-paced, action packed and full of interesting and unexpected plot twists. But what makes Boy Soldier so unique and attractive to adults is the sensitivity with which the characters and their relationships are depicted - such beautiful descriptive writing is very rare in this type of literary genre. Buy it, read it and then wait impatiently for the next one!
on 16 March 2013
My 11year old son read this and I thought I should check it out... I enjoyed the book and my son loves them the book gave me crazy nightmare but they have not been an issue for my son! Good plot a bit scary for me!
on 6 March 2015
My 12 year son absolutely Loved this book. His said its one of the best books he has read. He has read all Harry Potter, Percy Jackson. He is no reading the follow up. Does have some swear words but a fantastic read. My son said it should be made into a film.
"Mum did good to buy this book"
on 28 October 2013
A good airport read full of basic infantry skills and local knowledge, with the intelligence services as the baddies again. A bit of gratuitous violence when the smart way would have just been to eliminate rather than capture him, but I guess that makes the story.Too many loose ends at the end which might have stopped the happy ever after bit, but presumably that is to create the next book?
on 19 January 2006
from the moment you pick it up you just can't put it back down. everything about the story is great. you can feel the emotion between the characters. you wish that you were danny. i just can't wait to read PAYBACK, this is a must read book for any people who absobloutely love action