Customer reviews

Colour: Black|Change

on 25 April 2017
Probably the best headphones I have heard, great soundscape for a relatively small pair of travel headphones, mine were from Amazon warehouse so I got a superb price & packaging was all intact & in excellent condition. They look good ,made with quality materials

The thing that makes these stand out is the overall sound in the mid range, many headphones have clarity on higher frequencies With reasonable bass. These have it all across, instruments stand out in recordings & they sound very natural. I followed some advice & played them at half level for a couple of hours just plugged in with out listening, whether tha makes a difference I don't know but im really impressed with them, Comes with a spare cable & cute carry case
on 8 May 2017
Have 2 colleagues who are very please with this, but I found it a little uncomfortable when I tried it on . Maybe would be good if persevered, however returned for refund
on 21 July 2017
clear sound, small , practical. comes with a lovely carry case.

ear pads are easily removed and can be cleaned with a damp J-cloth
on 16 March 2017
Perhaps I am biased because I have only ever had headphones costing around £30 before these. However, I am truly blown away by the quality of the sound on these. I have even found an appreciation for genres that I hated before!
on 4 July 2017
They pads are too small so they start to hurt my ears after a while. Very uncomfortable to wear.
on 18 May 2017
Good overall sund, however the bass is a bit muddy.
on 14 January 2013
I spent a good deal of time researching headphones, primarily to use in the office as my ears get tired of the in-ear ones if wearing them for a long time. Having been a long time fan of B&W speakers (owning some 600 series speakers and a Zeppelin) I was keen to give their headphones a chance and the existing reviews seemed to confirm what the press has been saying, that these are a decent sounding, good looking choice for this price bracket.

So far I have used them for around 10 hours and on the whole I am happy. Firstly they look great, I think the design is timeless and they look expensive. Comfort wise, they aren't bad, but I do find they can slip a little on my ears with the pads not really gripping, this isn't a problem when sat at my desk but on the move was noticeably annoying. This is especially true as I find them to be quite sensitive to where they are placed on your ears to get the best balance of sound, moving them about can change it quite a bit.

So on to the sound which is the most important consideration with this product, I listen to a broad range of music from acoustic works from artists like Passenger and Ben Howard to a range of dance music and a lot in between. I would say that on the whole its good, vocal reproduction is very clear and mid tones excellent, however it does sometimes seem like the highs and lows are a little lacking, the highs in detail which can seem absent and the lows in presence which is not always as full as you might expect (again especially when on the move). They definitely appear to favour the vocal/acoustic mix rather than dance music which in particular when on the move can sound a bit flat.

By no means a poor sound and maybe one that will improve as the headphones get more run-in but if I'm honest they don't 'wow' me. However all things considered they are a good overall package and the build quality and aesthetics certainly make them attractive.

Edit 16/01/13 - I think the sound has improved on these as they've warn in a bit and the sound seems more balanced now, In-ears are probably better for commuting but these work great in relatively quiet places with a nice balanced sound.
on 8 February 2013
I got these headphones to replace my Bose OE2i headphones, which i sent back due to a faulty cable. I had heard a lot about the Bowers and Wilkins brand and felt I should give them a shot. I am going to compare these with my OE2is as I feel a lot of people may be considering these two

Packaging/Presentation:
To start off with, unlike the Bose OE2i, which arrived in very cheap plastic packing, the P3s come in an Apple-like box with a picture of the product on top. Already looks like quality. When you open the box, you see the white hard case, and the presentation straight away makes you feel like this is an expensive product (as it is). Inside the case, the headphones are folded with the default wire being the iPod/iPhone compatible cable. There is an additional cable at the bottom of the box without the remote for non-Apple devices. The cables can be switched very easily, by gently lifting the earcups off (which are magnetically aligned and held)

Build quality/Looks:
When you take the P3s out of the box, and unfold them, once again you feel like this is an expensive product. The quality feels fantastic, and the twisted metal and brushed aluminium finish is just exquisite. The magnetically held and aligned earcups are also beautifully put together. It almost feels like the P3s are worth £170 for the build quality and looks alone. These are probably the best looking headphones out there: very elegant looking, without being brash such as some artist inspired ones. I would say the only downside would be the cable itself, this does feel slightly flimsy. In addition it comes out of both cans, which some people may not like, but I do not really notice.

Sound:
Despite the great looks and the build, the key feature definitely has to be sound when buying headphones at this price. I must admit here that when I used the P3s on the first day, I couldn't help but feel slightly disappointed by the performance. However, after reading some forums, I left the headphones plugged into my laptop for a few hours with music playing at about half volume. This was to let the headphones "burn in".
Now, the sound quality is simply sublime. I can hear bits of the music which I never heard before, even with my OE2i (which I thought were amazing), and everything sounds crisp and sharp, but there is no compromise on the bass; this gently caresses your ears at the required moments, instead of drowning out other bits of the music. These are much better than my OE2i headphones were, and I feel like the extra £20 was definitely worth it for the sound alone.
Noise cancelling is obviously not a feature of these headphones. In general though, the level of cancelling is adequate on most streets, and also on the quieter trains. You can hear music fairly loud on about 70% of the iPhone volume. On the noisier trains such as the Jubilee line and the Victoria line,you may need to turn the volume up to 85-90% of the iPhone to cancel enough noise out. At work I am OK to play my music at 50% volume, still loud enough for a good experience, but does not disturb my neighbours

Overall:
I mainly use these headphones for commuting and using at work. Given their size, and the fact that they fold up into a case makes them very portable. They also look great on the street and The sound quality is exceptionally good for portable headphones, and the build quality terrific. If you are after a great looking pair of good sounding portable headphones, look no further. These are worth the money and more. As I mentioned though, make sure you burn them in before passing any judgement on them...
44 Comments| 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 March 2017
Excellent set of headphones. Really high quality construction . I have Sennheiser HD595's that are high end. The p3's are as good sonically.
Being on ear they are not quite as comfortable but still are very good. I also have a pair of Marshall one ears and they are really painful after about 30 minutes. P3's highly recommended. When I need to replace the 595's I will consider the P5's.
on 22 March 2017
My fist impressions of these headphones are...

That they are very well made, also a lot smaller than I expected.. Which is good for portability. They are comfortable too, and can go quite loud on my apple ipod video 80gb the best ipod ever made BTW (with no volume limiter)..

Some people say.. That they can slide of your head too easy, but if you have them on correctly they will stay put, as long as you don't go head banging you wont have a problem..

The headphones come with a nice plastic hard case for storage also, which is nice..

With these headphones I can hear lots of detail that was lost with other cheap headphones, detail that I cant even hear on my hifi system.. Which says a lot..

A very good product from B&W and at £80.00 a very good buy