on 26 August 2017
I can say that I learned a few new things from this book and that is a real gift. The reason I did not give it 5 stars were due to the last couple of chapters which did not fit well into the rest of the book. The author uses weak causation to tell us that the reason 498 out of the 500 top sprinters in the world are black is not genetic. His conclusion may well fit in well with the rest of the book but I would have wanted to see a much stronger argument to change my opinion on this.
on 3 March 2017
Excellent read. Very interesting. Borders on 'self-help' at times, which is worrying as I stay away from those types of book! Pulls itself back from the brink though and is a great, well researched book. Only downside is that he focuses on sports that seem to fit his 'angle' i.e. chess whereby sustained practice can show quantitative advancement on a defined and obvious plane. Sports like running or those prone to other factors i.e. injury are barely touched on and so his arguments, in my view, are slightly weakened because of it.
on 27 December 2014
I selected this at random yesterday from a list of 99p offers and cant put it down..it is so interesting and anybody who likes championship sports or anything of any excellence like world class chess will enjoy this analysis of talent. You may be surprised at what it has to say. I don't even take much interest in sport except hockey and swimming, but I am finding this scores with me.
on 15 July 2017
With an interest in how the mind works with sport and coming across Matthew Syed over various platforms, as well as wanting to read black box thinking, I read this first. The first chapters were in a similar vain to my football coaching thoughts. Practice makes permanent,and if done well, can lead to success at whatever level you aspire to. After that, a brilliant education on racial stereotypes, drug cheating and will change your outlook on certain aspects of sport and the world
on 7 March 2017
A must read. Syed explains with a wide range of case studies that skill and talent are products of hard work and practice not innate gifts. A very inspirational read.
on 19 March 2017
I try to keep up with Matthew Sayed's writing. His material often has application to daily life.
on 31 July 2017
A present for my daughter which she really enjoyed.
on 14 June 2017
Given as gift.Recipient pleased.
on 11 August 2017
I have never ordered this
on 3 March 2017
Excellent book. Very inspiring.