Customer reviews

on 30 December 2007
I had access to the Footprint of Namibia as well as this Lonely Planet guide for the last 19 days in Namibia. Being an avid LP guide user for many years it was my first choice, but I have to say it was eclipsed by the Footprint guide, and a downright disappointment at times. So much information I looked for was either missing or worse, wrong. Given that it is a 2007 edition I was amazed to discover that a bridge built over the Zambezi in 2004/5 to access Zambia from Namibia was missing. LP stated there was still a ferry only across the river, and as a result I would have driven via Botswana and Zimbabwe instead had I not had the Footprint.

I have also decided I don't like the way they always quote prices in US dollars - why not in the local currency??

My bookshelf supports a number of LP guides for the Middle East, S America and other places, but in future I'm going to try Footprints instead.

Sorry Lonely Planet - you've lost one customer here.
on 1 May 2009
I always regarded Lonely Planet as one of the best travel guides publishers and I have been thoroughly satisfied with many of their guidebooks in the past. However, recently I have been increasingly disappointed with their efforts. One of these disappointments is without a doubt their Botswana and Namibia Multicounty Guide, which, in my opinion is one of their weakest so far. Not only the information on the two Countries is minimal (to say the least), but in many cases is downright inaccurate. Luckily, though, for my visit to Namibia I had with me also the far superior Bradt travel guide, which I ended up relying on entirely. Not only the information in the Bradt guide is more up-to-date, but is also more accessible and more detailed. Namibia is a beautiful Country that offers many hidden gems and off-the-beaten-track opportunities, but armed only with the Lonely Planet Guide, I would have ended up missing a lot of them. And how could not this be the case, when Lonely Planet offers a guide that covers two Countries in 424 pages, while Bradt dedicates to Namibia on its own a staggering 528 pages! For my trip to Botswana I will with no doubt take along the Bradt travel guide and leave the Lonely Planet one at home.