Style Name: SoundLink III|Change

on 9 September 2014
EDIT: If using with a Mac, as I do, I would highly recommend installing an equalizer. I use a programme called Boom, downloaded from the itunes store. Not free, but only a few quid. It works wonders with different types of music, and does help to control bass if you're worried about the neighbours.

Original review:

I'd already made up mind to buy a Bose Soundlink, the question for me was: Soundlink III or Mini? So, I bought both (from the Bose shop) in order to compare them side-by-side at home.

Of course it's a subjective choice, but my view is that the Soundlink III sounds "better". I should qualify this by saying that to me it sounded more expansive (i.e. you could tell that the sound from the Mini was coming from a smaller space) and the trebles were crisper (especially noticeable to me on piano/vocal type tracks of the Bat for Lashes/Kate Bush variety).

The Soundlink III also passed the test with the following tracks, but the Mini did struggle: Buiral's Archangel; Bjork's Undo; Radiohead's Everything in its right place.

Conclusion: both are similar and you'd be happy with either. I bought the bigger model because I don't intend to take it outside my home (that's where the Mini overtakes the SIII), it's going to be my main way of playing music so I wanted that extra bit of quality and, put simply, once I'd tried them side by side I couldn't have sent the bigger model back to the shop.

I hope this helps similarly mad people.
77 comments| 186 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 April 2015
I read several reviews on various Bluetooth speakers as I am down sizing from a full sized Hi-Fi system, I was sceptical that a big sound could be achieved from such a small package but the Bose speaker that I eventually decided to purchase offers just that, the only negative comments I read were that the Bose is too bass heavy, this is not a negative for me as I like a lot of bass in all of my music regardless of genre.

The Bose is by no means a Hi Fi replacement as no portable speaker ever will be but it does offer an excellent portable sound quality, I am using it in a living room measuring 20' x 18' and it has more than enough power to fill a room that size without having to turn the volume beyond half way, I took on board the comments about the over shadowing low frequency from the Bose but both the laptop and mobile phone I am using have graphic equalizers within the music player so that the sound can be tailored to suit most tastes, as a bass lover I have actually had to turn the bass down using the graphic equaliser on the laptop to obtain a balanced sound through the Bose, for me this is a good thing as their is no such thing as too much bass and it means that the Bose is giving a good quality sound without pushing the drivers to the limit.

The quoted manufacturers Bluetooth range is very conservative at nine metres, I have had the Bose connected to my laptop from a range of over eighteen metres and it worked flawlessly for several hours, Bluetooth connectivity is the simplest and most straight forward of any Bluetooth device I have ever connected, within seconds both my laptop and mobile phone were connected and ready to transfer music.

As stated previously the Bose or any other portable Bluetooth speaker for that matter will never offer the same type of sound quality as a good quality full sized sound system which is what some reviewers have complained about but I have just replaced my full sized very good quality Marantz KI sig system for this tiny compact portable speaker and have no complaints at all.

A full five star rating for sound/build and ease of use.
on 6 August 2014
I wanted a Bluetooth speaker which didn't shirk on quality and did a lot of research into which one to get.
I read practically every review on the SoundLink III, good and bad, and after buying it and using it I found the ones which were slating it were really to do with it's inefficiency to meet that particular person's needs; and was effectively the wrong item for them to buy.
When you look at the purpose this item is trying to serve, it's a wireless speaker to connect to multiple devices and isn't really meant to serve as the sole source of sound for DJ-ing and won't blow your head off if you put your ear next to it.
But if you're having a bbq/house-party/picnic and want to sit 9 foot away with your Ipad then it's perfect!

The main thing I wanted was a speaker which wouldn't distort the bass when you turned it up. And with BOSE I was pretty confident this wouldn't, and it didn't disappoint. I had a party with about 30 people in the garden and it was more than loud enough, and if you place it in front of a wall/fence as instructed then the bass is perfect too.

It has a 9 foot radius, ability to remember 6 devices, and 14 hours of playing time on a full battery. (The battery doesn't take long to charge either.. another bonus!) It's pretty heavy to carry (heavier than expected) but I wouldn't class this as a flaw personally.

I did find the Ipad battery drained a lot quicker when playing YouTube though but it's understandable as it's connected to both the internet and Bluetooth which would be battery intensive. Not exactly a fault of the BOSE SLIII though!

Value for money wise it's really up to you. You get what you pay for with this though as it's quality truely is stunning, but if your budget is a bit lower then possibly go for the Mini if you're not fussed about the volume.

Definitely give it 5 stars and can't find a fault with it at all.
on 4 October 2015
So far this has been great. I chose Bose because of their reputation, I've never had a bad product from them. I was originally going to get the sound link mini, however I decided to go for this as its just that little bit bigger. You get what you are paying for, it really is an impressive speaker and I would recommend it!
on 19 February 2014
I'd spent months looking at the competition (details below), and eventually settled for the Bose Soundlink Mini. However my brother trumped me when he bought this little beauty, and I have to admit, although it costs £100 more - it's incredibly impressive.

Here's why...

What is it?
--------
The Bose Soundlink III is a very latest version of the slightly larger wireless Bluetooth speaker. In short, if you've got a smartphone (ie. any Android or iPhone) or tablet (eg. Nexus or iPad) or even a modern laptop you can wirelessly stream (play) music from your device.

No wires, no fuss just superb, room filling quality sound!

How does it work?
--------------
You simply press the Bluetooth button on the top of the speaker and"pair" it with an iPhone/iPad/Smartphone, and play your music or radio. On the iPhone (but almost certainly available on Android) I use the following Apps:-

* Music - to stream music from my iPhone and iPad
* Tune In Radio - An app to listen to world wide radio stations (or XFM London and Radio 4 in my case)
* Spotify - where for £5-£10 a month (or even for free) you can listen to unlimited tracks of your selection
* BBC iPlayer or You Tube - to boost the sound from your iPad or tablet

As it's wireless, you effectively have a built in "remote control" (your smartphone), meaning you can change tracks or adjust volume easily - depending upon the app you're using. Be aware, the Bose doesn't come with a dedicated remote or special app to control the device - but another remote would just be something else to lose behind the sofa.

What's it like?
-----------------
Like it's smaller (and £100 cheaper) device the Soundlink Mini - the sound quality is just amazing. Personally I found at lower volume the mini was slightly better - especially vocals whereas this one has much greater power, and produces a massive sound. I'd say the mini would be great for a bedroom or medium size lounge, whereas this can really belt out a huge sound - enough to power a large party. A huge surprise considering it's beautiful small size.

Where this really stands out though is the bass notes which (again especially for a device this small), is just incredible. While I'm no audiophile, I've tried (and even bought and subsequently returned or eBay'd) several wireless speakers - and this is just so beautifully clear and full - it's just astonishing.

In terms of connectivity, it "remembers" the last six devices paired with it, and it works up to around 30-40 feet away. Although the "pairing" process only takes a few seconds, it means once you've set it up, the entire family can stream music to it from their device instantly. There's also a USB connection which I understand it to apply upgrades when available from Bose.

I know it's really a subjective judgement, but I don't like the look of the some other Bose speakers, (apart from the mini) - but this device is really beautiful. Very retro styling like a 1970s radio - but in a cool, modern way.

Finally, you also get (quoted - but no reason to suspect otherwise) an incredible 14 hours music on a single charge which means you can unplug it and take it out to a party or picnic.

What's Good about it?
-----------------------------
* Stunning sound quality and incredibly clear even at high volume
* Loud enough to power an entire party, with terrific bass
* Beautiful retro styling. Looks like a 1970s radio (but in a really cool way)
* At 10"x 5" and 2" in depth it's amazingly small considering the power it delivers
* Bluetooth pairing with iPhone or Android device. Up to 6 are remembered
* Soft covers (££ extra) are a nice feature to add a splash of colour (green and orange are bit weird though)

What's not so good?
--------------------------
* You can't "connect" this to other speakers around the house (you can with Sonos and the UE Boom)
* For a portable speaker it's relatively heavy (but not a serious gripe - it's a nice heft)
* Although you can use it outdoors - it's not really rugged. Beautiful design for around the house though.

What else is available?
-------------------------------
In terms of price and sound quality, this is what I've personally tested and would recommend:-

1. ADX GizMo, Bluetooth V4.0 Ultra Portable Speaker. High-end Zinc enclosure with black UV finish. rechargeable lithium battery. compatible with all Android, Apple and Windows devices inc iPhone, IPad, IPod, HTC, Samsung, Sony etc (less than £30)
2. Audio Dynamix Atom V2 - Rechargeable Bluetooth V4.0 Stereo Speaker with free Carry Case. 20hrs playtime and 40 metre BT range- Red (Less than £100)
3. Audio Dynamix- The PULSE Stereo Rechargeable Bluetooth V4.0 Speaker. Dual Pulse Bass Radiators, 12hr playtime and 20 metre range, compatible with all Apple, Android and Windows devices (Under £100 but BETTER than the Bose Soundlink Mini)
3. Bose ® SoundLink ® Mini Bluetooth Speaker (Less than £200)
4. Bose SoundLink Bluetooth Speaker III (Less than £300)

So there you have it. The shortlist of bluetooth speakers at less than £30, £100, £200 and £300.

Overall - Highly Recommended
VINE VOICEon 16 March 2014
Style Name: SoundLink III|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Bose Soundlink III is a top notch product....I've had it for about three weeks now and I have taken my time to review it...I wanted to see how it worked out for me...is it worth the money? Is it really better that my Bose ® SoundLink ® Mini Bluetooth Speaker....Is it worth paying that bit more????....

Well....Yes.... and....No......

Its a fantastic piece of equipment...Looks good....sounds amazing....but although they are from the same range I think you would own them for different reasons....
I've already reviewed the Soundlink Mini....its fantastic....BUT....This is even better....although I think they have slightly different purposes...but thats just in my opinion....

So whats different?....well this is simply bigger and has better sound....This is really the one that you could use for your whole sound system if you just wanted one thing...it is better than the mini version....BUT....its not as portable...and I think its more of a serious piece of sound equipment for the house....

So...

PROS
1. Looks great...
2. Great build quality...love the rubberised buttons....
3. Sounds brill...really loud if needed...good sound on all types of music...
4. Attaches well to loads of devices...I've successfully tried...an iPhone 4, iPhone 5s, an iPad Air, a Samsung Galaxy and a Kindle Fire HD....all worked well via bluetooth....
5. Portable.....
6. Good cover....bought separately...although you don't necessarily need it!....Bose Cover for Soundlink III - Orange...I got the Orange...its cool....

Cons
1. Expensive...
2. I think its too big to put in a bag....BUT...I'm not convinced you would throw this range of products in a bag anyway...
3. Only charges via the plug thats in the box....

Overall though I do love it....and if you are reading this review you probably understand why these are so expensive anyway!!......
33 comments| 105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 January 2016
I already had a Panasonic Wireless Speaker SC-NA30 which had good reviews,so I brought it.I was pleased with it,but as I had a Bose Ipod docking station the sound never matched the Bose. So after looking around this Bose Soundlink kept coming up,so I just went ahead and brought it. Well after plugging it in and listening, the sound was much,much better and holds the bass as well,yes its more expensive,but its well worth the money,basically you get what you pay for,so if you have the money and want the sound,then this is for you. Brought using my Amazon Prime subscription and again it comes up trumps on the service,next day delivery,well worth it.
on 19 February 2015
like most of you I checked out all the reviews before I brought this,it came very well packaged and came a lot sooner than I expected.
when I connected through blue tooth I played my music and boy oh boy was I IMPRESSED the sound of it is out of this world,this fills my lounge with top quality sound I could go on and on about this but if you love music you will love this ,I can use it through my iPhone and through laptop via blue tooth and though a line input,the battery life is great too
on 16 May 2015
This speaker has GREAT Sound quality, and I really mean that. Its the best sound quality I have EVER got from a pair of speakers. The bass is incredible, and if you feel you want more of a beat, the iTunes equaliser will satisfy your needs of bass without effecting sound quality from the speaker. I have rated 4 stars however, because of the aesthetics (looks). I attached some photos to show you how it looks more plastic and cheap than anything else. This is not to say that it is brittle and flimsy - the materials (whatever they are) hold up very well and it is a robust tough speaker. All in all, if you have the money, and are not bothered about looks, this is the one to go for.
review image review image
on 9 May 2015
Excellent product, the sound quality cant be faulted, listening to my music collection through this speaker puts the sound into a whole new dimension. So easy to set up and pair to iphone and ipad. Would definitely recommend this product