Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 August 2012
This is an intriguing and very thought provoking time travel novel. In an alternate 1995, fifty years after Nazi Germany has developed nuclear weapons and defeated Britain and Russia, a scientist called Tony Smith invents a time machine. He is challenged by the Authorities to go back in time and save Adolf Hitler's life before he commits suicide in the Berlin Bunker.

Things don't go quite to plan and Tony has to really think through where his loyalties lie, especially as the outcome of the Second World War is at stake and of course his own future.

'Borrowed Time' leaves you thinking about how one individual's actions can have serious consequences. The plot has plenty of twists and turns, many of which you really don't expect. The ending is very clever - but I won't say anything more about that, you'll have to read the book for yourself!

My only gripe about the book is the number of spelling and grammatical mistakes, eg 'Führer', not 'Furher', and 'Nazi's' used as a plural rather than 'Nazis'. All that's needed is a bit of proofreading. However, this does not detract from the novel's subject material, so I've still awarded five stars.
on 17 August 2012
This is the first time I have come back to write a review of a book, so it will probably be short and sweet!

When I first started the book I wasn't sure for a few pages, partly because of the style. But that very quickly changed because of the characters and the very neat story lines and twists. David has come up with a great story which manages to stand out from the huge number of stories in the time travel genre. Everything held together nicely and it was a joy to look forward to reading each evening. I was genuinely surprised by the ending and turned to the cover to check the author's name!

I have read a lot of Time Travel novels and I am very glad to have included this in my list. Recommended. Nice work David.
on 18 September 2017
Lost interest and stoped reading it
on 12 June 2016
Interesting concept let down by shallow characterisation and wooden writing. Could also have used a proofreader. I'm assuming this is self published. It reads that way.
on 25 February 2013
I was almost put off downloading this book because of a couple of highly critical reviews.

However, having read the `look inside' sample available on Amazon, I was intrigued enough to want to find out more about Tony Smith and his time machine and so I took the plunge.

And I'm so glad that I did.

I thoroughly enjoyed `Borrowed Time'. It has a really good story line, with enough going on to continuingly make you want to turn the next page.

OK, there are parts that could be better written, however this did not detract from the overall enjoyment of the book, which was excellent.

I wouldn't be put off by the poor reviews. If you are a school teacher looking to mark down every little grammatical or punctuation error, then maybe avoid. But if you just want an enjoyable read and like the scenario of time travel , then I would definitely recommend.
on 19 October 2011
When I first started reading this book I thought it was just going to be a fictional account of how Britain might have been if the Germans had won the war. But once you get over the `factual' stuff at the start of the book you find it to be so much more, with the storyline developing into a really exciting and truly absorbing read.

I very much liked the fact that you can never quite guess where the plot is going to take you, and without giving too much away, I found the final twist to be quite intriguing and indeed thought provoking. As the story evolves, I found myself getting quite immersed in the dilemmas faced by the main character Tony Smith, and the realisation of how his actions in the past were to have have such devastating consequences to his future.
The author does a good job making the scenario of `time-travel seem very feasible and making the storyline believable. By the end of the book you have lots of food for thought and he makes you question your own origins and indeed your destiny.

If I was going to be at all critical I would suggest that there needs to be a little more elaboration of the personalities of some of the more peripheral characters, especially those back in 1945. However, this would be a minor criticism and not enough to stop me giving this a 5 star rating.
Overall a very enjoyable read, which I also believe would one day make a very good film.
on 22 June 2014
Although the writing style might not be to everyone's taste, I found the idea behind the novel an interesting one with a some fun twists around time travel paradoxes. The hero is faced with moral dilemmas that he must resolve against his conditioning and his life experiences. Well worth a read.
on 5 February 2016
3 stars due obvious mistakes, 'queens english' being one, if the nazis did win in 1945, the last monarch would have been a king oops.
The tedious back stories of the polish resistance are pointless padding.
But the plot and twists are ok.
on 24 January 2017
This started off really well, an interesting depiction of Britain if Germany had won the war, but for me it fell apart after the lectures about the terrible things the Nazis did which read as though they'd been copied straight out of a history book, not like one person explaining history to another. The idea is great but it needs a re edit to give it some purpose. Good potential though even though I've only given it 3 stars mainly because towards the end I was having trouble not skimming bits just to get to the end.
on 13 October 2011
Great book, thoroughly enjoyable...extremely thought provoking about what might have been.
Purchased the download for my kindle app on my iphone and from page 1, I couldn't put the 'book' down.
Excellent story and recommended read.