The Books of Assumption of the Thirds of Benefices: Scottish Ecclesiastical Rentals at the Reformation (Records of Social and Economic History (New Series)) Hardcover – 1 Dec 1995
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
The Books of Assumption contain a unique survey of the income of church properties in Scotland (Argyll and the Isles apart) in the 1560s, driven by the characteristic imperative to document, and thus secure, revenue in a time of turmoil. The historian, following in the footsteps of the tax-gatherers, is offered a window through which to explore the wider world of the resources which sustained the church. The late medieval church was the largest organisation and the wealthiest single landowner in the Scottish kingdom, with an annual income ten times that of the crown. The Books of Assumption were compiled for the crown in the expectation that a share of the church's riches might be reallocated to augment the finances of both the royal household and the reformed church which had just come into being. The Books of Assumption document in detail the distribution of the church's wealth drawn from a thousand parishes and a population of 800,000 living mainly in small rural communities, and form a record akin to the Valor Ecclesiasticus of England. This is a huge and fascinating database of importance for historians of all interests.
About the Author
Writing for an ecumenical audience, the Church of Scotland's Pray Now Group writes beautiful and inspiring prayers.
Top Customer Reviews
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Biographies & Histories > Business & Economic History
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Economics
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Personal Finance > Property & Real Estate
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Anglo-Saxon 500-1000
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Black Death
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Ireland
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Norman and Medieval 1001-1500
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Reformation in Britain
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Scotland
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Wars of the Roses
- Books > History > Essays, Journals, Letters & True Accounts > 16th-18th Centuries
- Books > History > Europe > Reformation In Europe
- Books > History > Europe > Vikings, Dark Ages, Medieval Europe 501-1500
- Books > History > Religious History > Christianity
- Books > History > Social & Economic History
- Books > History > World History > 501-1500
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Christianity > Catholic
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Botany & Plant Sciences