WD My Book Thunderbolt Duo 4TB External Hard Drive for Mac
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
- Enter your model number above to make sure this fits.
- Move data at unprecedented speeds - finally, a drive that can keep up with your creativity
- Video editors and other digital media professionals can do more work in less time with the ground-breaking data transfer speed of the Thunderbolt interface
- High-speed multi-tasking - the revolutionary bidirectional Thunderbolt technology delivers unmatched speed for multi-tasking while video editing, 3D rendering and completing other graphics-intensive projects
- User-serviceable - need to replace a drive? simply open the case and exchange the existing drive - no tools needed. If you fill up a drive, you can simply remove it and replace it with a fresh drive
There is a newer model of this item:
Interest-free monthly payments and other finance options may be available on eligible orders of items sold by Amazon totalling £400 or more. Finance provided by Hitachi Personal Finance. Interest may be payable. Learn more
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
My Book Thunderbolt Duo High-Speed RAID Storage: Performance and storage redefined for creative pros
My Book Thunderbolt Duo was designed for creative professionals who work with content creation programs such as Final Cut Pro X, Adobe Premiere, and other content editing applications. With Thunderbolt technology, this dual-drive storage system delivers uncompromising speed and performance for accelerated HD video editing and other graphic-intensive endeavors. Dual Thunderbolt ports provide daisy-chain flexibility that enhances workflow and productivity, allowing you to connect more drives for more speed and capacity. My Book Thunderbolt Duo unleashes your creativity.
Revolutionary Thunderbolt technology
A drive that can keep pace with your creativity. The speed of Thunderbolt technology lets creative pros design, store, edit, render, and produce graphics, movies, music, and more in record time.
User-selectable RAID 0/1
Customise this dual-drive storage system to fit your project needs – RAID 0 for speed, RAID 1 for double-safe data protection, or JBOD to use the drives individually.
The bi-directional Thunderbolt technology delivers high levels of speed for multitasking while editing HD video, rendering 3D graphics, and completing other graphics-intensive projects.
Ignite your creativity
In the deadline-driven world of HD video editors and other creative professionals, the My Book Thunderbolt Duo drive keeps your creativity moving with its amazing data transfer rates of up to 300 MB/s,* making it a drive that can keep up with your creativity.
*300 MB/s is achievable through a single system. Daisy-chain two or more systems to achieve more than 600 MB/s transfer rates. Data transfer rates represented are in RAID 0 mode and for the 8TB model.
Dual drive RAID storage system
User-selectable RAID or JBOD modes. When set to RAID 0 (striping), My Book Thunderbolt Duo offers the performance you need when designing or editing graphics-intensive media files. When set to RAID 1 (mirroring), this drive provides double-safe data protection by automatically generating a duplicate copy of your data. Set to JBOD ('Just a Bunch of Disks') to use as two individual drives and select between HFS+J or ExFAT per disk. Ideal for running Windows OS on a Mac.
Where creativity meets performance
Daisy-chain up to six drives or devices to create, edit, render, and save your creative endeavors without hesitation. Multitask at high speeds, enjoying workflow efficiency and productivity with the speed and flexibility of dual Thunderbolt ports.
The bidirectional Thunderbolt technology delivers high levels of speed for multitasking while editing HD video, 3D rendering, and completing other graphics-intensive projects.
My Book Thunderbolt is user-serviceable with two removable drives that can be replaced when the existing drives are full. Simply open the case, exchange the existing drive, and begin saving even more of your creative life. There are no tools needed.
WD Drive Utilities
Register your drive, run diagnostics, manage RAID or JBOD modes, and more using WD Drive Utilities.
Thunderbolt technology offers performance, simplicity, and flexibility:
- Performance: Transfer a full-length HD movie in under 30 seconds. Thunderbolt technology delivers unprecedented data transfer rates with a connector that is capable of providing two bidirectional channels with up to 10 Gb/s of bandwidth each.
- Simplicity: Reduce the clutter while you increase your productivity. Thunderbolt technology supports daisy-chaining multiple devices through a single Thunderbolt cable so you can multitask at maximum speed without having to switch out devices.
- Flexibility: Connect My Book Thunderbolt Duo and other Thunderbolt-enabled devices including HD displays, media capture and editing systems, and more through a single cable and enjoy nearly unlimited flexibility and performance in your creative life.
- High-speed backup and high-capacity storage for large media files
- Backing up files quickly and easily with Time Machine
- Editing HD video with the high speeds of Thunderbolt technology
- Daisy-chaining multiple devices like HD monitors, video and audio editors, media players, and more through the dual Thunderbolt ports for nearly unlimited workflow efficiency and productivity
- Multitasking while editing HD video, 3D rendering, and completing other graphics-intensive projects
- Enhancing system performance by setting to RAID 0 to boost speed
- Protecting your data with user-selectable RAID 1 that automatically generates a duplicate copy of your data
- Setting to JBOD to use the system as two individual drives
- Selecting exFat to run Windows OS on a Mac
Features at a glance:
- Up to 300 MB/s data transfer rates
- Dual Thunderbolt ports
- Fast, seamless Time Machine backup
- Thunderbolt cable included
- User-selectable RAID 0/1
- High-speed multitasking
- Move data at high speeds
- Dual Thunderbolt ports enhance workflow efficiency
Formatted for Mac OS X 10.6.8 or later; preconfigured to HFS+J and RAID 0.
Note: Compatibility may vary depending on user's hardware configuration and operating system.
- Computer with Thunderbolt connector
- Mac OS X 10.6.8 or higher
Configurable for maximum speed (RAID 0), data protection/mirror mode (RAID 1), or use the drives individually in JBOD mode.
Western Digital external storage comparison chart
|Storage with backup||Premium storage with backup||Storage with Thunderbolt technology|
My Passport for Mac
My Book for Mac
My Passport Air
My Passport Studio
My Book Studio
My Book Thunderbolt Duo
My Book VelociRaptor Duo
|Interface(s)||USB 3.0||USB 3.0, USB 2.0||USB 3.0, USB 2.0||FireWire 800, USB 2.0||USB 3.0, USB 2.0||Thunderbolt (2)||Thunderbolt (2)|
|Capacity range||500 GB – 2 TB||2 – 3 TB||500 GB||500 GB – 2 TB||1 – 4 TB||4 – 8 TB||2 TB|
|Compatible with Time Machine||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Password protection |
and hardware encryption
|Portable form factor||✔||✔||✔|
1 x Hard drive
1 x AC adapter
1 x Thunderbolt cable
1 x WD Drive Utilities software
1 x Quick install guide
What do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top Customer Reviews
So, setting up is pretty easy, one thing to note is on the Mac you need to unmount the WD tool (which has probably appeared on your desktop) if you want to change it from a JBOD to a RAID system, it will continually error out until you do this.
I'm running mine in RAID and it serves as my replacement NAS, with the Mac running as a media/VM server amongst other things.
Using BlackMagic I am getting Write speeds of 109.3MB/s and Read speeds of 111.4MB/s across the thunderbolt connection (In RAID Mod not JBOD). It hosts a multitude of varying VM's/itunes library/movies etc and i haven't as yet had any issues with this, with no lagging or errors. The actual unit is near silent which is awesome! You can just about hear the disks if you get close and everything else is silent in the room.
Nice things about this are even though it has no power button, it will shut down like your mac, so if the mac goes to sleep, the book will go to sleep, if you shut the mac off it will shut the book down! daisy chaining it to my Dell monitor also works a treat, i will hopefully be getting one of the faster (WD Red) ones soon and having more diary chaining from it as well!
Overall i can highly recommend it, the more expensive one now is the WD RED one, (Which I would recommend over the Greens), i can't wait to order my next one!