on 8 January 2018
This book sets a good pace and Tony McClean is a sympathetic hero. Oswald also is a better writer than many new crime novelists, so he seems worth following. I read this book after Natural Causes, hoping that the extremely nasty nature of the murders in that book had been simply the effort of a new writer to make a dramatic effect. I was also disappointed by the occult features of Natural Causes, which are silly and sensational and just a cop out from explaining the plot rationally. The Book of Souls started off more promisingly, but lo and behold, we get a very similar type of murder and then the book of the title takes on an occult power. This is lazy stuff, and basically nonsense. If Oswald really wanted to do the whole supernatural claptrap thing, (which I wouldn't at all recommend), he should take it seriously and involve the whole business of exorcism and people who in real life actually have to deal with such phenomena. But this is a deeply unpleasant and dangerous area of interest which shouldn't be used to provide the odd frisson to give extra flavour to a detective story. Oswald can surely do better than this.
on 9 September 2017
Brilliant, amazing! I never thought I would find a writer to match either Ian Rankin or Peter James but I think I've found exactly that in James Oswald. This is only the second book I've read in his Detective Inspector McLean series but I want to read them all! The stories are so dark and intriguing and very unpredictable. The writing is so articulate and so intelligently put together it is very hard to find fault. I love the characters in the team and the descriptions of the senior officers. McLean is a young, enthusiastic, unauthodox officer who is well educated, clever and thinks outside the box, much to the annoyance of senior staff, but who gets the job done as he lives and breathes it. He is definitely a great substitute for Rebus fans, especially as he's based in Edinburgh!
on 7 October 2017
A very good story very much in the tracks of Ian Rankin. Inspector McLean is slightly different to the normal policeman because he is well off but he has other troubles such as his girlfriend has been murdered and he catches her murderer. Another close friend (a girl) is badly attacked and felt with life treating injuries. His immediate boss is as thick and as stupid as they come. There is always some sort of supernatural aspect to Oswalds stories. Good read
on 28 June 2017
Another intriguing book from James Oswald. Good story that moves at afast pace. Characters in it are excellently portrayed and plot believable. Have bought the next book in the series because I enjoyed the first two so much.
on 1 August 2016
This book was first class. I read the first one for free and couldn't wait for this one to be released. It was worth the wait though.
on 11 January 2018
I wasn’t sure about this book in the early chapters but it did get a hold of me as it progressed.
There are still some things that I didn’t get but perhaps another read will help.
How did Emma do?
on 6 August 2017
Wow! I couldn't put this book down. I've read it in less than one day. A really great read. What suspense. I will definitely be reading more from James.
on 27 September 2017
It doesn't matter that much of the plot and most of the characters are stereotypically predictable. Sometimes it's comforting not to have to think too much when the story rattles along and you're able to keep up. We all like happy endings but mercifully this story leaves you wondering how it really ends. Maybe the sequel will tell us.
on 26 April 2017
good book but not my scene.
on 5 August 2017
Another great book by this fantastic author. Read the books previously in this series, and this is right up there with the rest.