on 24 November 2009
My son is experiment-obsessed, and we own a number of experiment/science activity books. This one is easily the best so far. My son brought it home from his school's library, and we have had a lot of fun doing the experiments in it, some of them several times. It's been such a hit that I got it for my 6-year-old nephew as well. The experiments are easy to follow, involve materials that one either has or can easily acquire, and the results are fun and satisfying. It has been a great resource in the face of the "What-should-we-do"s. So we're finally returning it--and ordering our own copy. Furthermore, I'm going check out other Usborne activity books, since Christmas is coming up. Heartily recommended.
on 4 November 2012
This is a great book with lots of great ideas for winter and rainy days indoors. My 3 yr old likes helping to make things and we have made lots with cardboard, straws, sticky tape and string. The instructions are easy to follow and older children will be able to be in charge of the activities and I'd say it will be a good family-time-together-book for a lot of years.
on 18 November 2012
I use this with the Beavers club to get ideas for activities for the little ones. It is a lovely book full of great activities which the kids love doing.
on 16 May 2009
My 8 year old daughter loves this book and so does her dad! There are some great projects in it and they enjoy working on them together. We have also used the book to inspire us for school science projects that she has had to do. If you want to get your child interested in science then this is definitely a great buy.
on 27 April 2009
I, my niece (5) and nephew (11) had a lot of fun with the projects in this book. The different activities were engaging and the science is explained clearly.
on 18 March 2016
A fabulous book, very clearly written with words and pictures( very important when you have children with extra needs) both my boys whom I home educate love the experiments and mainly with household items you would already have at home, so no worrying about extra shopping. We've tried a few now and can't wait to work our way through the rest, bobbing raisins and wizards brew are the firm favourite
review image
on 30 October 2010
Really need adult help with a number of the things in this book but great for the inquisitive child and the child in you! Some good things in here though and a fair bit of fun - best age - 7-12 I would think.
on 13 December 2012
As far as I can tell, this has been a winner with my 6 year old Grandson. Perfect for any child that likes to construct things with bits and pieces. I added a bag of odd sheets of plain and coloured paper, card, straws, elastic bands, sticky tape, teabags, empty plastic bottle and crayons, so the book could be used straight away. Ideal for keeping them quiet but stimulated - nudge that enquiring mind. What more do you need on a rainy day?
on 16 April 2009
I liked this book a lot. There are loads of ideas, and most of them are really easy for kids with a bit of help. As the title suggests, the ideas all try to demonstrate some science idea, which makes them more interesting than crafts that are just for decoration. There are a lot of ideas in a large, well-produced book, and it seems good value for money. My child had a lot of fun with this book, great for a rainy weekend!
on 19 April 2013
My son (9 yrs old) has been using this book in a science club at school and he really enjoyed the simple but interesting things to make and do as they were also had a learning valued behind them. We do have other 'Make and Do' books which he likes but he is showing a real flare for maths and science and this fits the mould. It may appear slightly young at times (hence the 4* not the 5*) but if you then use the creations as an experiment which is what he has done there is real learning in it.
Recommend for any kids that like making things with simple household items (another bonus cos I hate those books that require all sorts of items that aren't to hand). Have fun!