- Amazon Students Members Get an Extra 10% Off Selected Books Here's how (terms and conditions apply)
- Save 10% on Books for Schools offered by Amazon.co.uk when you purchase 10 or more of the same book. Here's how (terms and conditions apply) Enter code SCHOOLS2016 at checkout. Here's how (terms and conditions apply)
A Book of Middle English Paperback – 16 Sep 2004
Save an extra 10% with Amazon Student*
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"Classroom experience with this authoritative and accessible introduction to Middle English confirms that this is now our best available vademecum to the subject. The appearance of a third edition of Burrow and Turville–Petre′s Book of Middle English is good news to teachers and students of Middle English." Fred Robinson, Yale University
"Currently the most lucid and illuminating introduction to the language of Middle English, with an excellent selection of literary texts chosen and annotated to suggest the interest, sophistication, and variety of Middle English writing from the Peterborough Chronicle through the works of Chaucer and his contemporaries." Andrew Galloway, Cornell University
From the Back Cover
This authoritative textbook introduces readers to the wide range of literature written in England between 1150 and 1400.
The book opens with an introduction to the language of the time, designed to enable the reader to understand the representative pieces of Middle English literature that follow. The authors describe the language as it was used in different parts of the country, show how it evolved over this period, and offer guidance on pronunciation, grammar, metre and vocabulary.
Already a standard classroom text, A Book of Middle English has been extensively enhanced for the third edition. The authors have revised key works in light of new editions, updated bibliographic entries, and have added two substantial new extracts, from Pearl and from Chaucer′s Troilus and Criseyde.See all Product Description
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
I was born and bred in Australia 65 years ago, and allowing for 'colonial lag', I remember hearing older people speak words for which this book gives translations into modern English. Like 'aks' (pronounced 'axe') for 'ask'; 'five and twenty'. and similar variations, for 'twentyfive' etc. The oldest person I can recall chatting to was born in 1870. I was 10 at the time.
I thus find it easy to read late middle English.
If you are interested in the history of the English language, and are interested in how it evolved (is evolving?) this is a good book to get.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Ireland
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Scotland
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Wales
- Books > History > Europe > Vikings, Dark Ages, Medieval Europe 501-1500
- Books > Poetry, Drama & Criticism > History & Criticism
- Books > Reference > Language > Grammar, Structure & Syntax
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Sociology