- Paperback: 676 pages
- Publisher: No Starch Press; 1 edition (25 Jan. 2013)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1593273835
- ISBN-13: 978-1593273835
- Product Dimensions: 17.8 x 3.7 x 23.5 cm
- Average Customer Review: 4.3 out of 5 stars See all reviews (19 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 46,765 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- See Complete Table of Contents
The Book of GIMP: A Complete Guide to Nearly Everything Paperback – 25 Jan 2013
|New from||Used from|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
Olivier Lecarme is a professor emeritus in computer science at the University of Nice, France. He has a doctorate in computer science. He has been a professor at the Universities of Grenoble, Montreal, Lausanne, and Nice, and has taught many aspects of computer science, including programming language fundamentals and graphics processing.
Karine Delvare is a web development consultant. She has a Masters in Computer Science, with a specialization in image and sound, and has collaborated on the GIMP development project. She lives in Mérignac, near Bordeaux, France.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Well if that's the position you are in let me recommend this book because here's a labour of love that's been produced by two authors who have completed an immense task of cataloguing and detailing so much of what you need to know about using GIMP in its latest manifestation. It will take you through a sequence in its first section to properly "learn GIMP", provide you with a reference section which details all the menu items in the second section as well as providing an appendix which covers tricky areas like installation, tips, hints and resources.
So it's a book to keep close at hand while you are working with the software.Read more ›
All in all, it does contain a lot of great info, but you are too often left in the dark about what you are actually doing with a certain step, and need to flick around the book too much.
It would be more useful if it was EITHER a pure reference book (i.e. i want to know what this tool does- so look it up in the index and read about it) OR a cover-to-cover tutorial style book where you work through doing various examples in order to gain a good understanding of how to do common tasks. This book is trying to be both and is a little muddled as a result. Still, as I say, it does contain most of the info you'll need to use the VAST depths of Gimp's functionality.
Whatever level you're at you will find this book very useful to have around. It has inspired me to start a range of workshops in my local area which have been designed to introduce photographers and designers to this powerful - and FREE! - piece of software.
Update. I have increased the rating to 5 star as I have discovered a source for the images for the worked example. http://the-book-of-gimp.blogspot.co.nz/ This is a useful companion for the book for others who are just starting out with GIMP.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
The only reason I can think why anyone other than a professional designer would pay for Photoshop is that they don't know about GIMP. Read morePublished 21 months ago by J. Marks
Very comprehensive, covers everything you could possibly need. Easy to understand step-by-step format with loads of illustrations. You will never need another GIMP manual. Read morePublished 22 months ago by Amazon Customer
Well worth the money,. Very clear instructive writing and learnt a lot more than reading through the Gimp manual online.Published on 14 Oct. 2014 by glentana
This is a great book for any one who wants to move from Photoshop to Gimp. The fact that you can download the exercise files so that you too can play along is a great bonus. Read morePublished on 25 Dec. 2013 by gordhandas
Excellent Manual makes open source graphics as good as the propietory leader. It has been uswd to improve variou websitesPublished on 12 Nov. 2013 by Bobsteam
The book disappoints. It seems to be based on the notion that the reader is little more than one of the apes of Tarzan. Read morePublished on 26 Oct. 2013 by ingahil
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Photography > Digital Photography
- Books > Computing & Internet > Computer Science > Information Systems
- Books > Computing & Internet > Digital Photography
- Books > Computing & Internet > New to Computing
- Books > Computing & Internet > Software & Graphics > Business & Home Office
- Books > Computing & Internet > Software & Graphics > Graphics & Multimedia > 3-D Graphics > 3D Studio Max
- Books > Computing & Internet > Software & Graphics > Graphics & Multimedia > 3-D Graphics > Maya
- Books > Computing & Internet > Software & Graphics > Graphics & Multimedia > Image Manipulation & Creation
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology