on 1 December 2012
My year 5 son (age 9) considers himself a genius at maths but for this 'genius' to shine through the question has to be phrased in a particular way. This book certainly takes him out of his comfort zone and is teaching him a wide variety of question styles. I purchased the year 3 (age 7-8) book to familiarise himself with the different approach taken to maths and I am glad I did. The actual maths causes him no problems (probably aimed at a high achieving year 3)but every time he thinks he has mastered the way the questions are presented they give him a new sort.I am looking forward to getting the next level of book by christmas. He generally enjoys doing the papers as they take him less than 10 minutes but I am hoping it will improve his flexibility of thinking.
The range of Bond workbooks and test papers are essential for any parent who are considering preparing their child for the 11+, or who just want their child to succeed at school. Bond have workbook and assessment papers in English and Maths, plus test papers in Non-Verbal and Verbal Reasoning for ages 5+. This is the third maths test paper book, for 7-8 years (Year 3). There are twenty-two papers, a pull out answer book, plus a progress chart and the tests all include a good mix/range of questions. One paper a week throughout the term, alternating between English and Maths, will certainly give them a little extra homework practice. However, if you haven't used these books before, then do complete the "No Nonsense Maths" workbook in this age range before trying out the tests. These books also contain the address for the Bond website, which is packed with advice and suggestions for any parent considering either the 11+ or who want to help their child at school. It is worth noting that as well as books aimed at children who are very bright, there is an extremely useful series of ‘Up to Speed’ workbooks, for those children who need a little extra help in any particular area.
on 6 June 2014
The best start in life is education and this does not get any better in preparing the kids for testing. Improving their ability to read and understand instructions outside of school. Necessary as a precursor to grammer school. Highly recommended.
on 19 June 2016
It was ok but a bit tedious for my child. I found this free website which was great as it had videos followed by practice questions which was much more valuable. Check it out as I saw my child improve very quickly... www.atstudycloud.co.uk
on 8 December 2014
Both my kids crack on well with the Bond tests without supervision. They bring to me after 20 mins when they have completed the test, I then check it and explain any mistakes to them. They seem to enjoy the tests or at least get on with it without whinging unlike other homework. We have been doing the Bond books for about 3 years now and as an adult I generally like them aside from the occasional ambigious/tricky question.
on 7 October 2012
I was recommended this by my friends who are also mom's. It's a great source of questions and support for our kids' learning! I'll be using this a lot! Absolutely fantastic!
on 8 April 2013
A very good book. My son is working on this book and making progress as he goes along. Will buy the next book when he finishes this one.
on 24 April 2013
Good choice of book my daughter (8 years old) can use at home. Recommended by a private tutor. Works through it and does not query many things. Highly recommended
on 28 January 2013
This is a great book for less able older children and is a great way of checking which concepts they have difficulty with.
on 15 January 2013
I bought this book for son to get an idea of how the 11+ exam would be. Since he is pretty much completing all the papers, I am planning to buy the next level.