on 20 March 2016
When you are spending £600 for a rowing machine, the question is should you go up to 860 and buy a Concept 2? Well I have owned both now and each machine has its pros and cons but if you are a Concept 2 fan, the point is that you will be not be disappointed and may even prefer this. The main benefit is that the seat is wider and much more comfortable than a Concept 2, with a rowing setup just as good. It's also worth noting that this newer model is better than what the older reviews have posted. I see one person mentioned that the monitor had them rowing at 1.35 minutes per 500m; this has been corrected and the pace measurement is very accurate to what you see on a Concept 2.
There are 24 levels of resistance and a myriad of workout programs (most probably won't use many) as well as a heart rate monitor which takes a lot of moisture to work and seems to fade out sometimes (which is not a problem with the Concept 2). On the new version you can control the resistance level and menu with an infrared function on the rowing handle. It is not a very quiet machine but not very loud either, so not much difference there. It needs to be plugged in and there is no battery compartment on mine. It doesn't (from what I can see) store lifetime metres and the computer is a bit more complicated than a PM console but easy enough to figure after you've used it a few times. You can for example create a user profile and from the data stored, it will calculate how many calories you have burned during your rowing session.
Longevity I understand has been a problem with some of the previous reviews. The Concept 2 is designed to be a one-off purchase and is simple and robust with parts/technical support for all the past models still available from their UK HQ, so that may be something you want to consider. I believe there is also quite an extensive warranty on the Infiniti parts but obviously I have had no experience yet with the technical support/communication from BodyMax.
For someone who is not too bothered about setting times against others worldwide in your age group, racking up the metres and participating in the online challenges like you can do on the Concept log then this is an ideal machine - hopefully it works as well in the years to come. Ultimately the workouts are just as challenging, just as exhausting, more smooth, more comfortable and (admittedly during the short time i have had it) at very good value for money.
on 4 October 2014
I’ve had my R100 for a little over a month now. I found it easy to assemble, taking about 30 minutes using the supplied tool. The quality of the engineering is very high with all parts fitting together precisely. Once assembled it is very big and heavy with a reassuring solidity that hopefully should ensure many years of reliable use.
In use the rower is smooth and quiet. The seat is generously sized and comfortable. The handle fits my hands nicely and, so far, has caused no blisters. The foot plates are well positioned for me and the adjustable heel stops makes getting my feet in the right spot quick and easy. The foot straps do seem to come loose during use but this has not impacted my workouts at all.
My rower came with different computer to that shown on Amazon’s and Powerhouse’s websites, the SE100. This increases the number of resistance levels from the quoted 16 to 24. I assume this just means the resistance can be adjusted in finer steps rather than increasing the maximum resistance level. The number of workout programs is increased by the inclusion of more profiled workouts. I have no idea if this is the new standard computer for this rower as all the information on the internet still seems to refer to the original one.
To my mind it is the computer that really lets this rower down when compared to a Concept 2. It has a number of shortcomings:-
1) The distance covered per stroke is wildly inaccurate. According to the R100 I, an unfit 54 year old, can row 10km at an average speed of 1:35 per 500m. In my dreams.
2) There is a huge disparity between the average speed and current speed readings.
3) It does not store any intermediate data during a workout. You have no way of reviewing your last workout to see how you performed.
4) It does not store previous workouts. This means there is no way of seeing if your fitness is improving overtime. Even the most basic of sports watches store previous runs nowadays.
5) There is no way of exporting any data. I like to track my workouts on Endomondo but with no ability to export data I have to photograph the screen at the end to capture what I did.
6) The heartrate interface is the outdated 5kHz when the rest of the world is either ANT+ or Bluetooth.
7) The Watts reading seems to depend on stroke rate and not on the speed of the power phase of the stroke.
In conclusion, the R100 is a well made and solid rower that should provide many years of reliable service. I use mine 3 to 6 times a week and always feel I have had a good workout. It is let down by its computer but for the price it is hard to be too critical. The build quality, smooth operation, quietness and comfort mean that I’m in no hurry to replace it.
on 5 August 2011
After doing several months of research, I can say with confidence I've experienced much of what the market has to offer with rowers, from York's to Rebooks to Concept 2's and so on.

I then came across this gem on Amazon. I brand I had previously never heard off. Long story short, this product is identical to that sold in the US (Amazon.com) under the name LifeCore R100.

There are lots of reviews on there so I would strongly recommend checking those out.

After reading those reviews, and watching a video, I decided to take the plunge. I'm glad I did. The build quality is in a league of it's own. You can really tell this was built with some form of commercial use in mind.

Rowing action is smooth and quiet (compared to other fan rowers) and the magnetic resistance is a nice touch. Console displays everything you want and there is an additional heart rate monitor you can buy (shown as standard in the lifecore R100 version). This costs about £20 from Powerhouse at the time of writing. If you do opt to buy the heart rate monitor, the rower can automatically adjust resistance to ensure you are in your target heart rate range, a very nice touch.

If you are looking to buy a rower and the Concept 2 seems too high a price you can not go wrong with this one. It is just as good as a Concept 2, it really is (even looks very similar) but half the price (I picked this up for under £600 from Powerhouse Fitness).

It's very rare that a product exceeds expectations; this is one of those buys.

Highly recommended.
88 Comments| 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 July 2015
I have owned one of these for a couple of years now and at the moment can no longer use it. The motor mechanism has failed with a worn cog. It's not like I use this everyday (and sometimes weeks go by). So its hardly been used enough. Power fitness would not send out a replacement motor unit, but would rather I sent the WHOLE unit back. Obviously, not interested in anything but sales. The motor unit pulls the magnetic mechanism away from the wheel for a lighter load. I can see that the mechanism simply isn't well lubricated putting a strain on the unit. I contacted King-I.com, the Chinese company who make the unit, but no response there. I'm now sourcing replacement gears for the unit and hopefully can repair it. For the money for the amounted of use, disappointing. Unless, the motor unit has improved, will be interesting to see how others comment later on.
on 31 July 2013
Fully agree with the previous assessments, and will add my particular highlights: a very affordable pricetag (7000 NOK), solid construction (particularly given the pricetag), a variety of programs on a large and well-lit display and, not least, silent operation. 5/5 stars!
on 6 January 2013
I did some fairly extensive internet research before buying this Infiniti R100 rowing machine about 6 months ago, looking for something that was of a good quality and also available at a reasonable price. I'm not overly knowledgeable about rowers, but have had some experience with them in a gym. The concept 2 seems to represent the pinnacle of commercial rowers at the moment.

The R100 has been available at a price of around £670 for some time now, but I actually purchased direct from Powerhouse Fitness after first finding a 10% online discount code (always a good idea) so in the end I paid just over £600 for it. Frankly I've been totally blown away by the value of this thing. The build quality is absolutely superb, and miles better than I was expecting, even after reading the numerous excellent reviews. It's very heavy, nearly 60kg I think, so putting it together requires a bit of space, and maybe some help. It also has a long glide rail so it's ideal for taller users. That glide rail can be folded upwards when not in use to save space. But the sturdiness of the machine is akin to that of high quality commercial rowers (like the Concept 2) you might find in a gym, which considering the price is remarkable. The only minor gripe I have is that after every so often I find that I need to tighten the bolts that hold in the footrests.

The rower works with an air magnetic (magair) resistance system, which has a nice smooth, comfortable action and is actually rather quiet. A nice feature is that you can turn the air vents toward you so that it blows cool air on you as you row. There are 15 auto levels of resistance in total, which is ample, given that I have not needed to go above level 9 as yet. You can programme your own levels if you wish, so that the level of resistance changes as you row. There is the obligatory race function, and white water level. There is also scope for up to 4 users to store their own programmes for easy set-up. The monitor is large, clear and simple to operate and displays calories burned, time elapsed (counting either up or down), time/500m, no. strokes, distance and watts generated. There is a heart-rate control programme but if you want this you will have to purchase the wireless heart rate monitor separately.

I've used this many times over the 6 months and I can tell that it is an excellent quality product that is built to last. As such, it represents outstanding value and I can't recommend it enough. It is worth noting that the R100 seems to be available here in the UK at a better price than other places around the world - for once.
on 13 March 2012
A great rower, I was looking at a concept 2 but found this to be just as good, if not better and also cheaper. It is easy to put together and folds up for easy storage when not in use, not that we have done that! It is exceptionally quiet and the resistance is great. It is currently getting some very hard training from an ex army guy and also a 2 half marathon trainers and is showing no issues so far!!! The mechanism is very smooth and the display shows all the info you could want,and allows for different users, if you buy a chest strap separately (approx £25) you can monitor heart rate and the machine will actually work at the optimum range for you depending on what you want to do cardio wise.
Overall I cannot recommend this machine enough!
on 14 December 2012
Easy to assemble. Stores well. Easy to use. quiet and interesting programs, solidly built. need to buy heart monitor separately.
on 19 January 2015
Early days... but easy to assemble and obvious high quality. I'm extremely pleased, after a week of use this rowing machine is all I expected and a little better. I'm a large guy and 6'.2" and this equipment is lengthy and seems strong/robust. EXCELLENT!!!

A great piece of kit. Very High Quality Construction and most definitely worth it.
on 6 January 2015
Bought direct from Powerhouse fitness sale, the machine was good value for money overall and I prefer it to the ball crushing Concept rusty chain rower that seems to get most recommended. However, all is not perfect. The heart rate function does not work with the Infinitti branded strap supplied at extra cost with the machine, but our old Polar T31 chest strap works fine. Only real weakness is the seat bearings are nowhere near the quality expected for the cost of the machine and they make significant noise, kind of defeating the purpose of a smooth whoosh of the excellent resistance on the handle. It comes in a box stating Rower model R100APM made in Taiwan. The new 2015 control unit has some nice functions and even a game to stop you getting bored. I'm not sure how they think the seat runners will last 5 years under warranty as its shed some black lumps already onto the girder - otherwise its a good machine. Maybe they saved the better seat for the next model up.