on 2 February 2008
... though it's going to hurt in the morning!

We're forty-somethings who've always done a lot of walking but that's been about it, partly due to back problems necessitating low-impact exercise.

I decided to buy a cross-trainer, mostly for its cardio-vascular benefits. We looked at several much more expensive machines, but they were all either too big for me (5'6"), meaning that I was uncomfortably leaned forward, or too small for my husband (6'1"), meaning that he was bashing his knees on the uprights. We were reluctant to spend so much money on something that only one of us could benefit from. Also, they were often HUGE - our house isn't small, but space would have been an issue.

So we decided to try this one, because it was inexpensive if only one of us (most likely me) could use it comfortably, and we wouldn't feel it was too much money wasted if our enthusiasm waned. Also it looked a bit more compact, which was also a plus.

It arrived in good shape yesterday, and the husband assembled it today. Generally easy, with well marked components, as has been said before. But we did notice one bit (the pedal hinge bolt) where we thought the written instructions were misleading and contrary to our instinct as to where a washer should go. If in doubt it's best to look at the exploded diagram (which confirmed our hunch).

We found it to be advisable to protect the area around the machine with newspaper for its first use, as we did get one large dollop of grease out - luckily it hit the radiator, not the carpet!

We've both tried it. It seems very robust, smooth and acceptably quiet in use and, much to our surprise, it works for both of us with our differing sizes.

We found it quite hard work to start with, which probably shows that we need it! As I said at the start, I think I might hurt in the morning! There's plenty of scope to increase the resistance and time, so it should still provide a good workout once we're a bit fitter.

Overall very pleased with our purchase, which was much better than we expected for the money.
22 comments| 344 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 May 2008
I bought this trainer based on the reviews and haven't been disappointed, easy to put together, started off with 5 mins and very breathless but just 6 weeks on and daily use i'm up to 3 , 15mins sessions a day which are easily done and I can burn upto 600 cals, i really didn't like the idea of home gym but this is fuss free and easily fits around my lifestyle .
0Comment| 110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 July 2008
We had this trainer for about three months and used it twice daily until the bolts securing the pedal to the handles sheared along with the actual metal which actuated the handle.

Upon closer inspection the metal looked like mild steel which over time had become weak.

The principle of the device is fine, but the materials used in it's construction are very poor
44 comments| 98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 August 2010
Like many others who have left good reviews I too was pleased with my purchase as it seemed to represent great value for money. However, after only a few months (which would be 4 - 5 hours use) I noticed a horrible grinding noise. I removed the covers and inspected the mechanism looking for the noise but could not find it. So I sprayed a bit of grease over the chain and all moving parts which helped for a further couple of months.
This was just a sticking plaster remedy though, and the ugly truth was yet to be revealed!
The chain (which was tensioned correctly) started to jump teeth and I was forced to remove the covers again. I found that the main shaft on which the fan casing rotates on had eroded so badly that the cross trainer could no longer be used safely. The shaft and indeed the centre of the fan casing are both made of very cheap steel and simply rubbed each other away. So, If you're looking for a good value cross trainer which will last for less than 10 hours then this is the one for you! My local rag and bone man will be delighted when he comes down my street next week.
11 comment| 89 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 February 2014
I love this product, extremely value for money, for people who say "after month, Bolts came loose" well it doesnt take much to tighten them back up and if your using it everyday and working hard on it, it will loosing slightly if you havent done them up tight in first place.
I love it and im very pleased with it 😊
on 13 January 2008
This strider gets your heart rate going and is great fun to use while watching tv or listening to music. Once put together it seems very sturdy and durable.

I would recomend this to anyone looking to get something fun to keep them acitve and fit but not spend as much money as the other striders and cross trainers.

Another plus is that this strider has free super saver delivery where as the others I looked at all incurred a £30 delivery charge.

It was slightly more complicated to put together than I expected. I accidently over tightened one of the nuts which meant the crank would not rotate, so I had to take almost everything apart to figure out what the problem was and start again!
0Comment| 107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 February 2008
I bought this last month and cannot recommend it and Body Sculpture highly enough. A couple of weeks ago mine developed a fault with the right pedal section. I was unable to undo a particular part as it had stuck fast and it would need quite a large part replacing. I wrote to Body Sculpture with my warranty on the Monday by first class post and on the Wednesday all the parts I requested arrived! Outstanding!
on 30 January 2008
Due too it being so cold outside and the winter, myself being a man, bought one of these to lose weight and tone up as i have very restricted time ,found it pretty easy to make up,works a treat,def worth buying with the saver delivery.thank you amazon
on 17 May 2009
Waited for 3 months before giving my views. Delivered promptly. Basic but more than adequate for me and I have been using it 30 minutes 3-4 times a week for last 3 months. Please note that the LEFT pedal crank nut is REVERSE thread and despite being aware of that I managed to tighten it when trying to take it off before fitting. When I rang the company before I could explain the situation they had identified the problem and a replacement arrived within 2 days. Must be a common problem. Assembly took me an hour.
The resistance is never going to be as smooth as a magnetic Precor and it is noisy but not too bad. You NEED TO TIGHTEN the bolts regularly. The height of handle bars and Pedal length are ok for me (I'm five-nine). The only problem is for some reason the left handle bar appears to be slightly farther from the body compared to the right ( my arms are of equal length!!) making me stretch when pulling. You can wheel it in/out easily. The computer is probably not very accurate but I do not think it overestimates significantly. Reasonably happy so far.
on 24 March 2008
What a fantastic piece of equipment! well worth the money and more..... I have changed my body so easily with this and its not boring like the gym and I can still watch the soaps!