Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.95

on 3 September 2003
I don't know anything about ice hockey except that it makes a fantastic back drop for romance novels. Having read other romance hockey novels Simply Irresistable and See Jane Score by Rachel Gibson I was keen to read more so that is why I chose Body Check. While Body Check is a romance novel it does tackle some heavier issues. My favourite thing about this novel (obviously apart from the hot and believable romance of Janna and Ty) is what a strong character Janna is. She gets a high paid job working in PR for a hockey team and she is really good at her job. She is paid the big bucks and she works hard for her money and deserves every penny. I really enjoyed reading about such a strong woman, who compared to many romance novels didn't actually need a man to survive!
VINE VOICEon 2 July 2007
For the first book from this author that I have read I did enjoy this book.

I have put it at 3 stars because I cannot put it at 3 and a half stars.

The overall story of the book was very good and if you like authors like Rachel Gibson, Susan Donovan etc then I would recommend Deirdre Martins books, but my overall opinion was that I didn't enjoy this as much as I do Rachel Gibson etc but the overall storyline was good - I really enjoy the ice hockey background and Janna and Ty (even though at times he was a a tad obnoxious) was very likable characters and the background characters made the story a nice whole well-rounded story. You also notice certain characters mentioned that are lined up for the next book in the series "Fair Play"

Overall a good read :)
on 10 July 2004
I really loved this book! It had everything a good romance novel should have. I love Janna and Ty, they make great characters, very believable and you just can't wait for them to work it out as the are made for each other.
I've read this again and again and I can't wait for Martin's next one TOTAL RUSH as it sound fab! Well worth your time and money!
on 13 August 2007
This game's going into overtime.

Janna MacNeil is a publicist on a mission-to change the image of the bad boys of hockey: the Stanley Cup Champion New York Blades.

Ty Gallager is a captain on a mission-to get his team to win the Cup again...at any cost. His determination is legendary, as well as his unwillingness to toe the corporate line.

When persistent publicist and the stubborn captain butt heads, it's hard enough to crack the ice. But they may end up melting it instead...

I hope this helps. I love the book, the first in the series involving the players and families of the New York Blades. Each can be read as individual books, but I have found that it seems to help your understanding of the characters as they are introduced in the previous book. But as this is the first, sit back and escape into the world of hockey and love.
on 14 September 2013
This book did not impress me. I hated the time jumps and could not fathom how Theresa wasn't even a bit upset with Janna what she backed Lubrov, even if it was her job. I feel like realistically there would be at least some tension there. Ty was a jerk who one minute was refusing to back Janna and the next punching out guys for her and proposing marriage. Argh, this book was a mess.
on 12 May 2012
'Body Check' is the first in a 3 part series. This first book focuses on sports publicist Janna and the team she represents, team captain, Ty Gallagher.

Ty doesn't want to waste his time putting a smile on his face and doing interview after interview in order to make the team owners look good. As far as he's concerned, what do the team owe them? As far as he's concerned, they offer no support. All they care about is good press as well as money, money, money.

Janna has been hired by the team owner's to convince the team they need the publicity...or else. Ty and Janna do not get off to a good start and considering they're both as stubborn as one another, it makes it impossible for them to see eye to eye, until Janna's home life begins to affect her. Ty, without even realising it, manages to help.

For fans of Rachel Gibson, you really must try this hockey series as it is brilliant and if you love Rachel Gibson, you're sure to love Deirdre Martin. I recommend this book to all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
on 4 February 2008
This is the first Deidre Martin book that I have read and was glued from the very first page. The main characters Ty and Jenna are really well written and I just love the chemistry that goes on between them.

Like all good Chick-lit/Romance books the ending is normally quite predictable, but it's the journey that goes on before that makes it a good book and Body Check has loads twists and turns that will have you reading all through the night (I know I did)!

I have ordered the rest of Deirdre's collection from Amazon and just can't wait to start reading!
on 23 June 2009
I loved this book and couldn't put it down. I've read it again and again and it never gets boring.
on 22 March 2008
What a great debut book by Deirdre Martin, she manages to capture the world of pro-hockey, the delicious story of Ty and Janna against the backdrop of New York. This is more than just a romantic story and from the moment I picked it up I just knew I was in for a treat. I cannot wait to read her other books and have ordered all of them. Do yourself a favour and read this you will no way be disappointed. If you enjoy this make sure you read Rachel Gibson and SEP.
on 17 January 2007
I have read alot of 'womens romance' type books from a variety of authors and enjoyed most, but what a refreshing change to have a sporting backdrop! I must admit to being an ice hockey fan, so maybe that enhanced my enjoyment, but I think it is probably a great read anyway, strong characters, good story. Have already ordered the next one 'Fair Play'