Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Fitbit

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 15 May 2012, 10:31:30 BST
Last edited by the author on 15 May 2012, 10:33:36 BST
MicroSark says:
I'd like to tether my Ly F1 tablet (one of Wendy Lou's models running ICS 4.0.3) to my phone (which is also Android) via bluetooth.

The reason for this is that I have BT Openzone WiFi included in my phone contract and on occasion would like to share this connection with the tablet, but the tablet and phone don't recognise each other if USB'd together :-(

I have a cheap bluetooth dongle which I've tried in the mini-usb on the tablet (via an adaptor) but it doesn't even notice it's there, so I was wondering if anyone else has any experience of doing this (success or failure - I just want to know really).

I can't see any setting in ICS for enabling a bluetooth connection, so I've a feeling this may have been left out of the firmware as there is no actual bluetooth on the tablet itself, so it may be that something needs to be installed to allow this functionality (Google, although usually my friend has been uncharacteristically un-cooperative on this :-( ).

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Posted on 15 May 2012, 10:44:45 BST
DC says:
I may be being dim here (and I don't have Openzone)but why would you need bluetooth to connect the tablet to Openzone. Can you not connect the tablet directly using your registered Openzone username/password? This would avoid the bluetooth bottleneck.

Also if your phone has a wifi hotspot facility then you can use that to connect the tablet to your 3G signal.

Posted on 15 May 2012, 11:28:24 BST
MicroSark says:
No, you aren't being dim, but perhaps I should explain...

I'm with Orange (UK), and the only way to get the openzone wifi is via the orange wifi app, which unfortunately crashes on the tablet (but works ok on the phone). I have a 500Mb limit on 3G (which is ok for the most part and I do use the wifi hotspot functionality a lot, but is usually quite slow) but I have 'unlimited fair use' on the openzone wifi, so my hope was to connect to wifi using the phone and share the connection via bluetooth to the tablet - obviously you can't connect to wi-fi on the phone while using it as a hotspot. I also wouldn't be averse to cabling them together to achieve this but don't think this is possible.

Posted on 15 May 2012, 12:44:30 BST
DC says:
I think you can by pass the wifi app and supply you credentials (phonenumber and wifi password). If you don't know your wifi password you can recover it from your Orange account details online.

From the Orange support site:
[quote]
If the Orange WiFi app isn't available for your mobile or device, you can manually connect to Orange WiFi while you're on the move in four simple steps:,
1. Use our online hotspot finder at www.orange.co.uk/wifihotspots to locate your nearest BT Openzone hotspot.
2. Turn WiFi on in your device's network settings.
3. If you're in a BT Openzone hotspot, select it from the list of available WiFi networks to connect.
4. Open your browser and register your details. To do this you'll need your mobile number, or mobile broadband number, and your WiFi password. We sent you your Orange WiFi password by text message when you first joined Orange.
[end quote]

In reply to an earlier post on 15 May 2012, 13:22:36 BST
MicroSark says:
Thanks DC.

I'll try this again next time I'm near an Openzone hotspot and post the results, but I have tried before and the login page doesn't appear - the wifi just kept trying to obtain an IP address even though the signal looked good (and my phone could connect to it ok). Maybe the wifi radio in the tablet isn't as good as my phone, so I'll try closer to a hotspot and see what happens.

I'm still intrigued whether or not anyone has managed to do anything with a bluetoooth dongle though, for purely academic reasons if nothing else.

Thanks again.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 May 2012, 12:00:49 BST
I too would love to know if there are any compatible bluetooth dongles

Posted on 17 May 2012, 22:22:02 BST
Its not currently bluetooth compatible - perhaps a future firmware may do it but I believe its a hardware issue but I may be proved wrong
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer