Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 March 2009
I happen to have a friend who has just had a baby girl and it gave me the excuse to buy this book, which is lucky as I wanted to buy it anyway. It's a lovely book, the illustrations are lively and inspiring and Neil Gaiman's poem, which feels like a lyric, is sweet, and charming and sometimes moving, obviously written from the heart of one who has daughters and wishes wonderful things for them. This is all sunlight, none of Gaiman's usual darkness, so if that's what you're expecting, you'll be disappointed. It's not about that.

It feels more to me like a modern day prayer, a celebration of femininity and whilst I'm not claiming that Mr Gaiman has magical powers, it reminded me of the good fairies in the tale of Sleeping Beauty and that can't be bad.
VINE VOICEon 30 April 2009
Before buying this, I did read reviews on other websites/fansites of Neil Gaiman just out of curiosity. The general consensus from die-hard Neil fans is that this is a little bit "fluffy" compared to his normal edgier style. As a life-long Gaiman fan myself, I would whole-heartedly agree, as this is indeed on a different level to his previous books. However, Blueberry girl is a children's book, so it's not going to be of the same ilk as something like Neverwhere. You just can't compare them.
But anyway, why pigeon-hole the guy?

This book is as whimsical as the synopsis states. It's dreamy, fantastical, innocent and hopeful. After all, it was written as a prayer/blessing/poem for Tori Amos' then unborn daughter. So one would hope that the message contains wishes of bright futures and desires fulfilled. This is the whole point.
But if you're worried that this might be just a sugar-coated book full of too many cliches, then don't panic. This is not your average fairy-tale, (nor is it the length of one). Blueberry girl represents strength, independence, courage and finding your own way in life. More Tatterhood than Cinderella.
In my opinion this book is absolutely perfect as a keepsake for a daughter. It's the type of book that I would want to keep as some sort of modern day heirloom, a message to be passed onto different generations of girls.
I have just bought two copies, one for each of my friends' new born baby daughters.

It's very short (I can now see why it was originally pinned up to a wall on one piece of paper). But this doesn't matter in the slightest. The illustrations by Charles Vess are incredibly beautiful and are (in my opinion) what turns this short verse into an actual book.
It is for children, but I would happily buy a copy for myself!

And if you can delight in the genius of Neil Gaiman whatever subject matter he writes about, then you will still enjoy the spirit of this book even if you don't have a little girl to buy for.

If you are looking for an unusual, original and beautiful gift for a little girl, then this is an absolute treasure.
on 12 August 2015
I so love this book. A whimsical prayer full of hopes and dreams and sunshine for any daughter whatever her age. A perfect gift for a new born baby girl but equally perfect for a young girl reaching her teenage years or as she leaves for university. The illustrations are as equally charming as the words. I think this book will become one of those keepsake books to hand down through the generations from mother to daughter
on 20 August 2014
Brilliant. Read it as a poem at my daughters naming ceremony. Split the crowd as some people get it and some people don't. I saw other internet reviews describing it as weird, pagan and blasphemous. That must be why I love it so much!!! Not so keen on some of the illustrations but the sentiments are great.
on 5 May 2009
Its beautiful, and made my wife cry. She's not a huge Gaiman fan (although she tolerates my gentle obsession) but was struck by his insight. Charles Vess' fantastical and magical pictures are the perfect counterpoint.
on 26 March 2012
I bought this to read at the naming ceremony of my guide daughter this year. It is a wonderful way to wish a long and happy life to a child, written to simple but stylish prose. The illustrations are modern, yet also timeless. A lot of people were keen to take he name of his book after the service - I guess it must have been popular!
on 18 October 2013
Great present for expectant and new mothers of baby girls, beautiful pictures and a great poem both the parents and the child can enjoy (in their own time, obviously!).
on 16 November 2010
I bought this gift for the girls in my NCT class when their babies were born. It is a wonderful poem and Charles Vess' illustrations are lovely, but this is really more of a gift for the parents than for the children themselves. Still, it would be a lovely keepsake for when the children are a bit older.
on 15 September 2013
This is a great present to give for a newborn girl. The words are beautiful and send good wishes to those who read it. I highly recommend this book
on 14 June 2013
My daughter asked me to do a reading at my granddaughter's naming day ceremony, she wanted The Blueberry Girl. I had not heard this story before but once I'd read it I was totally entranced. Such a lovely, witty, heartfelt story/prayer. I bought her the book so that she could read it always.