Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
|Print List Price:||£20.00|
Save £2.33 (12%)
Blue Ocean Strategy, Expanded Edition: How to Create Uncontested Market Space and Make the Competition Irrelevant Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
"one of the bestselling business books of the century" -- Financial Times
"Blue Ocean Strategy is the most successful book on business master-planning..." -- The Economist
"A great read for any leader looking to get a real edge in business and establish a real competitive advantage in the market." -- Qantas The Australian Way
Praise for Blue Ocean Strategy:
- A bestseller across 5 continents
- More than 3.6 million copies sold worldwide
- Translated into 46 languages
- A Wall Street Journal, BusinessWeek, and Fast Company bestseller
- Thinkers50 Strategy Award for Best Business Book of the decade
- The Fast Company Leadership Hall of Fame
- Winner of the Carl S. Sloane Award for Excellence in Management Consulting
From the Publisher
The book has resonated with executives at small and large companies, nonprofits, and government agencies, many of whom have changed their strategies after reading the book. They include Nintendo, Ford, Samsung, and The Government of Singapore.
- NINTENDO - In an interview about the Nintendo Wii, Perrin Kaplan, vice president of marketing and corporate affairs for Nintendo of America, said "Inside Nintendo we call our strategy `Blue Ocean.' " - FORBES.COM, February 2007
- FORD - "One major influence on [Ford's secret Piquette Project] is BLUE OCEAN STRATEGY... Copies have been circulating briskly among Ford offices these days." - Detroit Free Press, January 23, 2006
- SAMSUNG - "Samsung Electronics has not only embraced, but has meticulously developed and applied to its product development this Value Innovation theory coauthored by Professors Kim and Mauborgne." - Korean Economic Daily
- File Size : 7246 KB
- Word Wise : Enabled
- Print Length : 300 pages
- ASIN : B00O4CRR7Y
- Publisher : Harvard Business Review Press; Revised ed. Edition (20 Jan. 2014)
- Enhanced Typesetting : Enabled
- Text-to-Speech : Enabled
- Language: : English
- X-Ray : Enabled
- Screen Reader : Supported
- Best Sellers Rank: 67,168 in Kindle Store (See Top 100 in Kindle Store)
- Customer reviews:
More items to explore
Top reviews from United Kingdom
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
I love the various business cases discussed in the book. It is written with quite an academic style, so does require some concentration to understand.
The premise on which the Blue Ocean Strategy thesis is built, is a simple one. Create a new market space through innovating on the value you give to the customer. This, the authors refer to as the cornerstone of the Blue Ocean Strategy. I must confess that value innovation on a first read sounds counter intuitive to the twin principles of either competing on being different and expensive (differentiation), or being like everyone else and selling cheaper (cost leadership).
But once you get your head around it as they say in England, then it is quite straight forward following the formulation principles outlined so beautifully in the book. The first principle of reconstructing market boundaries can sound very daunting to a new comer to the field of strategy, since in standard red ocean strategy arena, market boundaries come as given. And yet it is the very act of thinking about reconstructing the existing market boundaries that gives birth to thoughts and strategies for creating your value innovation. It is this reconstruction that allows you to focus on the big picture, instead of the numbers, which is the next formulation principle in your Blue Ocean Strategy toolkit.
The next two principles ; reaching beyond existing demand and getting the strategic sequence right are just plasters that hold your reconstructed market boundaries and value innovation together. So also are the four action framework of eliminate, reduce, raise and create industry factors in order to create this new value for your customer. In addition, the authors provide three characteristics of a good strategy to guide your journey. You are advised to ensure that your value curve has a focus, it diverges from other industry players, and finally, that you need a compelling tagline. Creating strategies could not be simpler. If only someone had told me this when I first started out trying to do strategies.
There are plenty of examples of companies that have wittingly or unwittingly created strategies that the authors have identified as Blue Ocean and provided a theoretical underpinning for them and most importantly demonstrated that it possible to systematically recreate them or indeed create new ones. So, go ahead jump into the blue ocean and start creating some Blue Ocean Strategies. The world of crafting strategies as Henry Mintzberg prefers to put it can never be the same again.
I do think a number of the case studies have been fitted to the theory and the authors might have sought out only examples that fit the theory but overall this is a decent read and compelling.
My one observation is that the section on change is rather portable and not particularly Blue Ocean though is a decent essay on change
A clear and effective process, that can lead to unique positions