on 29 July 2017
Absolutely great. Plugged in my Rode NTG3 (no other Phantom power needed) through the XLR and then a USB straight into my MacBook. Picked it up straight away and not had any problems with it.
on 21 October 2014
I have a Blue Icicle for my condenser microphone and its safe to say it was a complete and utter waste of money. As soon as I saw it I knew it looked cheaply made and it was. It kept giving me problems with sound and stopped working all together. If you want a quality product I would probably just go for a different Phantom Power unit.
on 18 July 2016
This looked to be the perfect solution for getting better quality audio for Skype etc, which I needed for radio broadcasts. Unfortunately, with my trusy Shure PE54D, which is much like an SM57, the output level is low, which gives real noise problems. After investigation I've found reports of the same problem with the Shure SM57. Obviously this is a low-cost device, so one expects some compromises, but this is definitely not even passable quality for audio with this type of microphone, which is lower sensitivity than a typical condenser etc. Obviously I could buy another microphone, but I've found the Shure reliable with decent quality, so I'm now in search of a better adapter.

As others will have said, this is a very light weight product - I found the XLR socket especially flimsy, which bothered me more than the light plastic of the body. But that's not a deal-breaker on its own considering the price.

TL; DR. This looks to be a great value product, but using a Shure dynamic mic, output is too low to be usable, as there's noticeable background noise.
on 10 August 2014
Pretty good and does what it says on the tin.. Its a bit plastic cheapy feeling but then at this price I guess you get what you pay for (shure make one that's £120 which im shure (;o) would last for ever... If this Icicle was better built and more solid feeling id have given it five stars.

The only issue I had was getting it to work with windows 7... What I found in the end was that you had to cancel the windows drive search (click on the info bubble when it says "installing driver click here for details) and it works a treat.. If you let windows find its own driver it wont work.. And if you have already installed it, go to Devices and Printers (with it plugged in), and right click on the USB audio device (it should show as Icicle) and uninstall the driver in the properties.

Then unplug it, plug it back in and cancel widows driver search.. and it should work.
on 4 September 2017
It works very well. Enjoying the product as I write this. Thanks for quick service! These are perfect, you don't need a plug in! Looks new though this set has been with me for a month now. high quality Everything just works They'd be perfect.
on 3 February 2011
So when i first heard about this device i was over-joyed, i can now buy ANY condenser i want and use it via USB on my brand new HP laptop (4gb RAM, 250gb HD, Tri-Core Intel). I brought a brand new Rode NT1-A installed everything and guess what everytime i record theres loads of pops, crackles and latency, i have played and tweaked all the setting tried using ASIO drivers and nothing works. I have tested the device in Cool Edit Pro, Adobe audition, Acid Pro 7, Fruity Loops and the end result is always the same poppy , cracky and laggy.

I googled around and found out this is a common problem when using this device with the Rode NT1-A as the phantom power (48v) is attempting to be produced from the 5v USB on your computer and its just not enough.

Aside from this the device feels very cheap and is mostly plastic which you wouldn't expect for the price it does not feel well-built also the USB lead is the mini type like on a digi camera i do not think this was a good idea for a device of this nature.

I have returned mine to Amazon today in favour of gettin a USB mixing board with external power.
88 Comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 June 2013
Works great! Tested on MAC OS X and Windows 8 plugged into Rode NTG-2 which requires Phantom Power. The sound quality is perfect, voice is loud. No additional drivers or setup needed. Just plug and play. Highly recommend!
on 19 August 2014
I bought this to use with my condenser microphone, it works perfectly. I struggled trying to use my condenser microphone with my laptop and after I got this product, the problems are all solved!

You don't even need to buy an extension XLR cable, this product can be directly attach to the back of the microphone as well. But to avoid being damaged, it is a better idea to buy an extra XLR cable as it's not included. The mini USB to USB cable is included.
on 8 January 2016
There isn't much to say.
It's plasticy, simple, light weight, slightly too big, cheap, absolutely NOT pro build and does the job "OKish".
It has a stupid amount of light coming out of it when it's on which is just plain silly and even with the gain turned to full on it's still like a low-medium on a proper pre-amp.
If I was looking for something better to act as an interface as well I'd probably go for a Zoom H4N because those are quite cheap now and will do the job much better.
I won't sell it or throw it away because it's useful to have but I use my DR-60D Mii with a Gold Mogami cable when I'm looking for clean sound, not this plasticy thing and honestly if you're looking for a USB mic might as well just buy one like the Blue Yeti... they now go for £70 which is not "that" much more than this flimsy thing.
on 2 October 2010
Worked well straight out of the box with my Shure SM57 microphone. My immediate next purchase was, however, an XLR cable since this makes the unit far more comfortable together. Directly attached to the Mic it works fine but it's very bulky indeed to work with the Mic like that.

I was prepared to do a lot of juggling with Core Audio to get Logic to recognise the device having previously researched it and found articles about folks having to create aggregate devices in the Audio/Midi setup tool before Logic would recognise it.

I can confirm that with Logic Pro 9.1.1 it works straight out of the box with no complicated configuration, just select the audio input device under the list of Core Audio devices and away you go. Also worked well with Final Cut Express 4.0.

It lacks the monitoring capability found on the top end units but at a fraction of the price it was right for me.