Colour Name: Blue|Change

on 2 January 2015
This is probably the best microphone you can get for under £60/$90. It is incredibly well built with an all metal tripod with 3 rubber feet to prevent slipping, with a wide enough base to stay stood up after a knock or bump. It is incredibly simple to setup, all you need to do is plug it into a usb port and give windows around 3 minutes to recognize and configure it and that's all. It has near studio quality and would be perfect for conference calls business calls or just skyping family members. the difference between this product and the cheaper "ICE" snowball is that this one has a switch on the back allowing you to choose: Cardiod mode (Only allows volume from the front of the microphone- ideal for one person speaking, singing or even pod casting) Cardiod -10dB PAD (Confusing if you don't understand what it means, this basically adds -10dB to what the microphone is recording reducing background noise and is ideal for live music or loud sounds) and Omni mode (Allows the mic to take in volume from all around, great for recording conferences, interviews or environmental sounds if your want to record outside.

Sorry for the long review but I hope you find it helpful and that it helps you with your choice of mic for what you want. Feel free to comment with questions and I will try to give you the most accurate answer I can. :D
on 4 January 2012
This mic really is great quality, the fact that it connects via USB eliminates the static that is sometimes picked up in mics that connect via the microphone jack (which I had problems with)

But no there is no static and my recordings are great quality.

Quick Tip: always look at the black snowball mic, the white one, and the aluminium one as sometimes they have sales on one, but not the others, they all sound the same and you get to save some money :)
on 10 May 2011
A short statement on the snowball microphone...
88 comments| 182 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 September 2010
I would recommend the snowball microphone. The perfect gadget. It worked well doing recordings for e-learning and using the software Adobe Captivate.
on 28 December 2014
Got this as a Christmas present and have only used it a few times (so far), but my initial impression is fantastic!

Setup is quite literally put the mic on the stand , and plug in the included USB cable. Drivers install quickly and then you're set. Took me all of one minute. Compatible with Windows 8.1, even though this isn't mentioned in the item desc.

Sound quality is fantastic. I use Audacity to record and remove background noise, which is picked up especially on the first setting (cardioid, for commentary etc) but after that it is crystal clear and sounds a lot better in my videos than my old headset mic! It does take a bit of positioning to find a height, distance from you and place in the room that it sounds good from, but once you have that set up it sounds fantastic.

The colour is great, and the mic looks pretty darn sophisticated sitting on my desk.

My only complaint would be that the included stand MAY cause issues. It is stable, but there seems like some kind of locking bolt to hold the neck extension in place which doesn't seem connected to anything. The neck extension can be gently pushed back in with the bolt locked, and the mic can swivel on the stand if the USB is at an angle. Fortunately, neither of these issues affect me just because of where I need the mic to be, but it might be worth checking if stuff like that might affect you.

Other than that small complaint, which isn't really an issue for me personally, I can thoroughly recommend this!
on 19 June 2010
The blue snowball is an amazing microphone for the money.
the fact that it is also USB Connected makes it even better. At the back it also has 3 settings for different sound control.
on 26 September 2011
I received the microphone in the time specified and set it up on my mac. The vocal recording was of high quality and good volume, in fact I had to reduce the recording level to stop distortion. A good buy.
on 11 May 2012
Having RESEARCHED at Blue's own web site (rather than relying on Amazon's product descriptions, which can sometimes be wrong) I was confident of a good mic and I wasn't wrong. Was also extremely happy to get it for nearly half the price (it went up by a tenner the day after I bought it!).

You could find a number of 'issues' with it if you don't know what you're doing, but for those who understand the limitations -- not of the Snowball but of home audio recording in general -- and how to work round them to the advantage, the Snowball fits in just great.

You may need to push the gain up a little in your software, as the mic doesn't have a preamp, but then again I could hear the tapping of my thumb and forefinger in front of and behind the mic - in other words it has no problem in picking up both direct and ambient noise. All three setting 'positions' have their uses depending on what you want to record, and in fact you might find you get a better vocal or acoustic instrument recording if you use the omni and get in closer -- the trick is to EXPERIMENT and don't take your first take as a definition of what the Snowball can help you achieve.

I'm sorry if this sounds like a lecture, but I am sick of reading the reviews from people who complain about the mic because -- probably -- the rest of their setup is appalling. Research and read some articles on audio recording (particularly in the home) and you'll find that the biggest factor on getting decent recordings is the ROOM itself.

Try these:

[...]

Seriously, you can't plug a mic -- any mic -- in to your PC or Mac and expect it to sound fantastic without you doing any work. It's not a magic cure all for bad acoustics or bad vocals. That said, I believe the Snowball is one of the best microphones in its class (if you don't need 24 bit / 192kHz recording, in which case look at the Yeti instead).

Perfectly usable with the likes of GarageBand, for podcasting, and so on. I personally wouldn't use it with Skype or other IM because my headset is adequate for spoken vocals in that context, but I have no doubt it would work great.

I highly recommend this microphone. If audio levels are really likely to be an issue (bearing in mind that most amateur home recordists capture vocals at too high a level) perhaps you'd be better off with a Shure mic (or one of Blue's XLR mics) and a XLR-USB preamp like the Icicle.

(and no I don't work for Blue).
on 28 March 2015
I got this for recording audio for online courses. What I didn't realise was that in use this is pretty much the same as a hand held mike...you have to have it very near your mouth to get decent sound levels. This is something you need to be aware of if this is what you want it for.

As I am also recording a video (headshot), it's practical to not have a huge mike in front of your face, so that renders it useless for that purpose. I figured I could use it for audio whilst doing screen capture (not talking head)...also not ideal as if you are using your mouse or keyboard, you still have to have your head down by the mike to get good audio, which is also not ideal. I have ordered a couple of cheap lapel mikes now, and I will be upset if they are great, as they are £5 and this is, well, quite a lot more.

If you are using it purely for narration, the sound quality is awesome, but sadly not much use for anything else.

Update:

Okay, looked at all the youtube reviews of this, and folks were getting great sound out of it, so I splashed out £10 on a boom arm...much much better. I can now position it quite close to my mouth, but still keep it out of shot. I still have to up the gain in Camtasia studio, but the results are good. I just need to learn how to polish the audio with audacity now.
on 20 May 2014
I will keep this as short as possible.

This Mic is great for recording your voice and creating Lets Play style videos for YouTube. The quality of the recording and the Mic itself is amazing. Blue Microphones are known for being a great brand and that is 100% the case here. Comes with a tripod and works via USB. I don't think it comes with its own voice editing software BUT there are plenty of free and cheap ones around the net. The only reason I haven't given it 5 Stars is because of the price. Its slightly too expensive for me to recommend it to everyone as some people simply don't have the funds or means to afford items of this quality. If Blue could get the price down a little bit I would be inclined to give it 5 Stars easily. If you need a Mic and can afford this one, go for it. If not then I believe Blue do have a few slightly less expensive models available but of course they will be of lesser quality as you get what you pay for in this world.