Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Fitbit

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 43 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 Oct 2010, 11:21:21 BST
Last edited by the author on 5 Oct 2010, 11:24:11 BST
Volvi says:
Still no Blu Ray review? I think its because of the price, well thats why Im holding out till it gets alot less then whats currently being sold at. Amazon wake up, how many have you sold? Could it be the price?

PS. And on 1 discs? doesnt sound right, theres 4 of the DVD.

Posted on 27 Oct 2010, 04:37:15 BST
Volvi says:
Yes Im also waiting for a reasonable price that doesnt seem coming. I note the DVD is now a third of the blu ray price and still no blu ray review to confirm whether its worthwhile paying all that extra. So Im not biting too.

Posted on 28 Oct 2010, 13:38:36 BST
R L says:
It comes on 4 discs, not 1. I've just rented the first disc to check it out and can confirm that it's 25fps and not some messed with version intended for the US market (I'm looking at you Doctor Who!!). The picture looks phenomenal. I'd love to get the set but I have to admit that I'm waiting for it to come down in a price a bit. I guess it's still a fairly new release at the moment whereas the DVD set came out over a year earlier.

Posted on 4 Nov 2010, 00:03:28 GMT
Last edited by the author on 9 Nov 2010, 21:54:02 GMT
DCGUY says:
Is the extra material exactly the same as the regular DVD set?

I don't understand why the USA version package is different from the UK version. The DVD holder is more clumsy in the USA package, it lacks the audio commentary option, it lacks the photo brochure from the miniseries. Of course, the movie ads before the presentation are different too between the two versions.

The thing about Amazon is that the website tends to display reviews from similar items (such as books published under different versions and years). So some of the comments may be misleading if you are looking for a specific version of an item.

Posted on 1 Mar 2011, 22:01:39 GMT
DCGUY says:
The price of the Blu-ray version is now £17.99 on Amazon. Let's hope that it keeps going down.

Posted on 18 Mar 2011, 17:39:05 GMT
So it's encoded at 25fps, rather than 24? I'm in the USA and would love to see this, as there's no US Blu-ray edition. Can anyone tell me if the disc is region-free and encoded at 24fps?

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Apr 2011, 03:41:38 BST
T. Kim says:
Me, too! I'm in the US and am very keen on getting the Blu-ray version. But I'm worried about compatibility issues. Wish Amazon in the States offered a blu-ray edition.

Posted on 14 Apr 2011, 22:28:17 BST
DCGUY says:
The UK listing for the Blu-ray edition was changed to include the "region free" description. Maybe someone who owns this version was able to verify that it can be used on any Blu-ray player?

In reply to an earlier post on 16 May 2011, 13:35:24 BST
Last edited by the author on 16 May 2011, 13:40:14 BST
John Mason says:
The region-free Little Dorrit Blu-ray did not work (blank screen) with a US-acquired Sony PS3, using the newest software update (3.60). Shipping the discs back to Amazon.co.uk. [Reply to 14 April post]

Posted on 16 May 2011, 23:33:04 BST
Last edited by the author on 17 May 2011, 00:02:27 BST
DCGUY says:
Thanks for the update. Most vendors do not allow returns due to incompatibility. When you open a software or DVD, that usually means you cannot return the item. Here are the return policies that I found for Amazon.co.uk website.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=1161002

If the item was bought through Indigostarfish.com, they also don't allow returns for items that are opened.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=13423871

Please read comments about the 1080i/50 Mhz incompatibility of some PAL format Blu-ray on certain US brand based players. The PS3 was listed as one of those that could not play 50Mhz Blu-ray. I have a Sherwood player that is listed as being able to play the 1080i/50Mhz format. Perhaps the Little Dorrit Blu-ray is in this format?

http://forum.blu-ray.com/blu-ray-players-recorders/95245-us-blu-ray-players-50hz-compatibility.html

In reply to an earlier post on 17 May 2011, 14:34:45 BST
Last edited by the author on 17 May 2011, 14:39:00 BST
John Mason says:
Yes, my pre-shipment e-mail said they don't accept opened disc returns. Didn't initially spot the caution at their site for a return label, which I downloaded, but guess I'll save a trek to the post office, plus the shipping cost, and perhaps have to trash both ordered "region-free" disc sets ordered (Dorrit and Bleak House).

Hard to follow the so-called region-free logic. Players handling 1080/50i/60i or Blu-rays' 24p are even costlier than Sony PS3s--and exceptions. A region-free disc, it seems, should play regions ABC.

Someone suggested ( http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=20421931&postcount=30857 ) that buying a special Bluetooth PS3 remote and fast forwarding when the discs start loading to perhaps jump over a featurette preventing menu access. But recall neither disc 1 or disc 4 worked here (blank screen), so that doesn't make sense. Guess I'll just have to eat--with a bad taste--my ~$40 Dorrit/Bleak House cost, plus the hassle of a useless PS3 firmware update.

Posted on 18 May 2011, 00:49:16 BST
Last edited by the author on 18 May 2011, 00:53:32 BST
DCGUY says:
The many different formats of region zone coding between standard DVD and Blu-ray are very confusing. The player and the TV set needs to be compatible with the disk output.

I recently returned some medical supplies back to Amazon and they paid for the return shipping (through a postage prepaid mailing label). Didn't you get a label like that?

Instead of just trashing the disks, you could list them on Amazon for sale on this website. Then you could get back some of your cost. You could add a notation that you don't accept returns due to incompatibiliy in case the buyer has a playing issue after purchase. You could list it in either the USA or UK division on Amazon depending on whether you want to target a specific country for the potential purchasers. If you do list in the USA part of Amazon, note that there is no Blu-ray version of Little Dorrit for USA players, so make sure that your description is very clear or a dispute would likely result.

Posted on 18 May 2011, 14:01:38 BST
John Mason says:
"I recently returned some medical supplies back to Amazon and they paid for the return shipping (through a postage prepaid mailing label). Didn't you get a label like that?"

No, just a return bar-coded label, with the return site mentioning my shipping cost would also be credited to my card number.

As mentioned, plan on just holding the disc sets. There's a slim chance one of Sony's frequent PS3 firmware updates might include 50i decoding...my '09 model might quit, requiring a new multiregion model, etc.

After Dorrit's Blu-ray intro last August, listed as Region B everywhere, I bugged Amazon US almost monthly and wrote co-producer WGBH (PBS station, with BBC) for a US-format version. Was fooled by the "region free" listing this April.

Posted on 19 May 2011, 00:14:20 BST
Last edited by the author on 19 May 2011, 00:18:02 BST
DCGUY says:
I think the prepaid mailing return label was given to me because I used the reason of "product item not as described" for the return which implies that Amazon goofed on their ad listing, so they should pay for the return. I also returned a refrigerator thermometer back to them because the item sent did not match the picture of the item in their listing (in this case, the worded description of the brand and model were correct for the item sent, but the photo did not match it), so they also paid the return postage too. Once I bought a DVD/VHS player that had a recording problem and I returned it and the seller not only refunded me the original price plus shipping cost, but also paid for the return shipping as well (not through Amazon).

I could not find any Blu-ray review site that can confirm if the UK Blu-ray version of Little Dorrit was "region free" or not. This ad listing on Amazon did not specify that the item was "region free" for a long time, so someone must have provided confirmation to Amazon that it was (usually through a link somewhere else).

Posted on 19 May 2011, 23:05:26 BST
Last edited by the author on 20 May 2011, 07:34:32 BST
DCGUY says:
I came across someone who has the Sherwood BDP-5004 and Momitsu 799 Blu-ray players and both were supposedly region free players. He had a copy of a Blu-ray disk that was coded as "super PAL" or the 1080i/50Hz format that was used by the BBC and 2 Entertain studio distributors for their Blu-ray products. He had a regular US brand TV (60Hz). The disk would play on the Momitsu player, but not the Sherwood model (blank screen) even though both would play all standard and all region DVDs and some non-USA Blu-ray disks fine. He mentioned that the Momitsu player might be doing some kind of signal conversion (50 to 60 Hz)that the Sherwood could not do since the Blu-ray was coded in a different format than other non-USA Blu-rays.
Based on the earlier forum link with the 50Hz compatible players, it looks like certain models like the LG BD370, Samsung BD-P1500 and BD-P2550 will play the 1080i/50Hz disks without rejecting them because they can do the signal conversion.

Posted on 20 May 2011, 13:28:11 BST
John Mason says:
Believe my plasma could convert a 50i input to its native 1080/60p, but of course both 2 Entertain disc sets (Dorrit, Bleak House) listed as region free don't seem to output anything--at least CbCrY (HDMI)--from my US-standard 60i/24p HD Sony PS3 BRD player, creating a blank screen. Both disc sets are labeled only as 1080i, with SD 16X9 extra features; no mention of 50i or 60i. (US PBS stations broadcast 1080/60i versions of both titles.) Suspect most with 50i-capable players believe everything's fine with such so-called "region-free" discs.

Posted on 20 May 2011, 23:51:22 BST
DCGUY says:
The many different formats and converters make it all confusing. As for a USA Blu-ray version of Little Dorrit, it might have to come from the same company that distributed the Region 1 version - Warner Home Video and not WGBH. The Warner Home Video DVD version is based on the Region 2 UK DVD which broke down the miniseries to 14 episodes. The WGBH TV broadcast on the PBS stations was based on 5 episodes and has 15 minutes of footage edited out (due to replacing it with the Masterpiece Theater introductions by Laura Linney and the PBS related ads during the broadcast). The WGBH DVD package only has two disks while the commercially produced Warner Home Video version has four disks.

I might try an experiment to see if a 50Hz Blu-ray disk can play on two Blu-ray players where one is said to not convert the 50Hz to 60Hz signal and another one that will.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 May 2011, 12:48:34 BST
Last edited by the author on 21 May 2011, 17:23:04 BST
John Mason says:
Yes, only urged WGBH to help facilitate a U.S. Little Dorrit Blu-ray--since they're not disc producers. They said they'd pass on my request, pointing out of course their site markets a U.S. compatible DVD.

AIUI, when I checked the AVSforum.com thread a while back about 50i/60i/24p compatible players, there are two types: one type does a 50i>60i conversion, the other has an output suitable for display conversion--been a while, though, so not positive about the latter.

Also read recently that there's no 25 fps Blu-ray standard (as earlier above), only 24p (fps). That's different, of course, from a 50i Blu-ray player putting out 1080/50i (1080i25), seen on interlaced CRTs as a 25 fps signal at a 50 Hz rate but deinterlaced on fixed-pixel displays to 50 Hz images (same as broadcast signals), optionally shown at other frame rates. 24p Blu-rays, storing full frames, are just 'sped up' to 25 fps in region B areas using 50-Hz power line frequencies, AIUI.

Whatever the confusion about regions and conversions, it seems hard to follow how "region free" could be mistaken for anything but just that.

Posted on 7 Jun 2011, 02:06:48 BST
Last edited by the author on 7 Jun 2011, 07:46:58 BST
DCGUY says:
An update was made to the listing. It is not Zone free after all. Now it appears to be Zone B. There is no mention about this disk being 1080i/50. It appears that you need a zone free Blu-ray player or one from Europe. Note that Bleak House is coded zones A, B, and C, so it should be "all zones". My guess is that since Bleak House is several years old, the disk company was OK with making it all zones. Since Little Dorrit is relatively recent, the disk producer wanted to restrict it to Zone B.

I changed my wording to replace the word "region" for "zone". Region is used to specify standard DVD parts of the world while Zone is used to specify Blu-ray parts of the world.

http://www.releaselists.com/BLURAYInt-L.html

Posted on 7 Jun 2011, 16:20:55 BST
Last edited by the author on 7 Jun 2011, 16:21:56 BST
John Mason says:
^^^Yes, just returned from mailing Dorrit and Bleak House back to Amazon UK (two sets each), across the pond. Their correspondence suggested they might change the region-free listing for Dorrit. Never tried the Bleak House discs since their box labeling (1080i) appeared identical to that on Dorrit, which produced a blank screen. Nothing about all zones on the Bleak House box.

Posted on 7 Jun 2011, 23:23:38 BST
Last edited by the author on 7 Jun 2011, 23:28:21 BST
DCGUY says:
I thought Amazon wouldn't allow opened movie returns? But if they do, glad that you could return them. Which Bleak House Blu-ray did you buy? The Feb. 2008 (UK) version that is "zone free" or the May 2009 (USA) version that might be "zone A only"? I got a Blu-ray from Asia that plays fine on my player. The East Asia region is part of Zone A which the US is included. I might try to get the Blu-ray copy of this program and see if I can get it to work with my current Blu-ray player and another brand that could also be made "zone and region free". I invested quite a bit of money into the series (besides getting the USA, UK, and Netherlands DVD versions and the PBS/Emmy promo version) and also buying a first edition leather bound book copy of the novel (1857) and other recent published book versions and also a copy of the PBS program script of the miniseries. Hopefully, I can get the other Blu-ray player by the end of the week and then see how they both work with this "locked zone B" program.

Posted on 8 Jun 2011, 13:42:09 BST
John Mason says:
^^^Amazon implied I should get full refunds, including my return postage, even though one of the 4 sets was opened (which I asked about) and the 30-day limit was past on two of the sets. But won't know until I'm actually credited; their return department may not follow the section corresponding about the "region B" versus "region free" glitch and their two shipments. Only opened one (1st Dorrit set) of the four sets. Added the supposed region free Blu-ray Bleak House to my Dorrit order, but never opened the set since it was marked 1080i like the non-working Dorrit set. Notice Amazon US has two Bleak House Blu-ray sets , one for $27 and one 3-disc BBC set--likely the longer one you described--for $100.

Posted on 9 Jun 2011, 05:45:42 BST
DCGUY says:
The Bleak House Blu-ray items on the US and UK Amazon sites are priced quite differently depending on the version that you want. There appears to be two versions (one released in Feb. 2008 and the other in May 2009). The one released in Feb. 2008 appears to be UK based (possibly 2 Entertain studio?) and is all zones (A, B, and C) and is a 3 disk set with a run time of 465 minutes. The one released in May 2009 appears to be US based (Warner Home Video) and is ONLY zone A (which actually includes southern/eastern Asia) and is a 3 disk set with a run time of 510 minutes. Now why the US based version has 45 more minutes than the UK version is rather baffling (maybe the run time listed on one of them is wrong?). The price ranges of these two versions vary widely if you purchase them on the US or UK Amazon site.

Feb. 2008 UK version (all zones?) - price is $99.99 (other sellers offer it from $21.85) on the USA site while the price is roughly $16 (using currency conversion) on the UK site.

May 2009 USA version (zone A only?) - price is $26.99 (other sellers offer it from $19.99) on the USA site while the price is roughly $28 (using currency conversion) on the UK site.

The wide price ranges is one reason why I prefer to buy some movies outside of the USA and to use a region and zone free player. The UK based standard DVD version of Little Dorrit is better then the USA or Dutch versions. You get a color brochure, a better DVD case, and voice over commentary that is not available on the other two versions. And I was able to buy the UK DVDs at a lower cost than the USA version.

Posted on 15 Jun 2011, 19:03:10 BST
Last edited by the author on 18 Jun 2011, 18:27:33 BST
John Mason says:
Well, finally got a refund for two sets each of Bleak House and Little Dorrit Blu-rays, mistakenly advertised as region free for a while, then switched back recently to region B (Europe). They're marked 1080i (presumably 1080i25, aka 1080/50i), and wouldn't play (blank screen) on my U.S.-acquired Sony PS3, a 1080i30, aka 1080/60i, machine (+24p). Both disc sets were from 2 Entertain. Might shop for Bleak House again one day if Little Dorrit is ever marketed in a U.S.-compatible Blu-ray. But this (posts above) is enough hassle for a long while.

Posted on 16 Jun 2011, 00:45:28 BST
DCGUY says:
Glad to hear that you got a refund on the opened movie set too. I bought a Blu-ray player that can be made zone and region free through the remote and it should be arriving in the next few days. From what I read from other owners, the two player brands that I got could play the 1080i/50 format and convert it to 60Hz for TVs here. So far, no one has indicated that Little Dorrit is in that format, although you mention that it is stated on the box. Since it appears that the disk is "locked" to Zone B, I am going to try to get a copy of it and try it out on my two players. When I have the results, I will post them here and also try to provide any differences in video/audio quality between the standard DVD and Blu-ray version (I have a 1080p TV) if I am able to play the Blu-ray disk on my players.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  43
Initial post:  5 Oct 2010
Latest post:  18 Sep 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

This discussion is about
Little Dorrit
Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens (Paperback - 1 Jan. 2009)
4.3 out of 5 stars (166)