on 12 April 2016
This book leaves you with open ends, it's not a cliffhanger, but you're certainly grateful that the next book is out.

It felt as though I devoured this book a lot more speedily than its predecessor although I'm sure they're a similar size.

Interesting and intriguing new characters are introduced, and some old favourites return. Can you work out who to trust on this game of cat and mouse? I wasn't always sure and admit to a couple of surprises.

This time the historical aspect revolves around Blackbeard, the infamous pirate and once again the research is superb.

Very enjoyable read.
on 24 October 2017
I could not wait to read book 2 of the Matt Drake series. A thoroughly fast pacing book . I like the main characters although David Leadbeater always kills of one of them. However a disappointing end. Instead of different story it will be more of the same in book 3 and I don't like this. I always like a conclusion and a new story. Not sure I will go on to the next book straight away.
on 15 July 2015
Fast paced with lots of set-piece 'stunts'! Indeed this reads a bit like a James Bond film script!! Sadly, it loses 1 star because the characters are all cardboard cut-outs. It is difficult to identify with the people in the story - or identify them from each other. They all seem to be cut from the same page; action men/women willing to risk their lives at the drop of a hat. All have troubled pasts, and suffer angst from past deeds (misdeeds as well).
The author should try to inject a little more background for each character, and a little humour would not go amiss! Having said all of the above, the stories are reasonably well-plotted and an easy read. You keep turning the pages, and after all, that is the essential skill for any author.
on 17 May 2012
Wow read this in one sitting on a flight to Las Vegas I could not put it it down. Great development of the characters and wonderful plot involving Blackbeard, a time shifting device and a modern day blood thirsty pirate still in shock at the ending and also with the cliff hanger can't wait for the next installment please hurry David
10 people found this helpful
on 6 December 2012
I found this a little disappointing when compared to the first and the third of the books. I'm writing this review after reading the third instalment and think this is perhaps the one which falls a little short of the others. The book is well paced - very fast at times - and the characters develop nicely. The plot is a little disappointing and I was left a tiny bit flat. Having said that, the book carries the story through from the first book and sets up the third quite nicely. It's a "must read" is you enjoyed the first (and you'll like the third even better).
on 11 August 2013
I found this book to be a great way to chill out. It offered plenty of good action but with some nice elements of (a) history in the form of the story of Blackbeard the Pirate and (b)of mystery in the form of the Bermuda Triangle. All of this combined to keep me reading and in spite of having to go to work I finished this in a couple of days. I like historical and mythical angles and there was enough of these aspects to make the book stand out for me from most works in the thriller genre.
on 21 September 2013
I loved the first book in the series but this book feels as though it is a leap forward in terms of quality and story. The character progression was excellent and I really started to care about the characters and there relationships. The story telling was smooth, fast paced and interesting from start to finish with a great mix of action, drama, romance, lust, comedy and a bit more action. As soon as I finished this book I was straight onto the next and I can't wait to get more of the same.
on 2 April 2018
I have followedd the Matt Drake books up to novel 7 and although i enjoy the series they are a bit samey
on 28 August 2012
As stated in title: this book was quite good, reasonably interesting and fast-paced, but I still preferred the first book. This one was a bit incredible in places and the reader definitely has to suspend disbelief. I also couldn't figure out all the references to the previous book as it had been so long in between reading this one and the last. But all in all an enjoyable book. Would definitely read more by this author.
2 people found this helpful
VINE VOICEon 13 March 2013
I am a great fan of Scott Mariani's Ben Hope and as the next book isn't released until May I was looking around for a similar type of book. I searched Amazon and came up with the Matt Drake series of which I am now a fan.
The only downside I found - having started the third book - is that it's better to read them in order rather than as a stand-alone book.