on 21 October 2013
I have read the previous two books in this trilogy with great enjoyment and this one did not disappoint. I don't really regard this book as a sequel because each book picks up where the other left off, so it could almost be one big book a la 'Lord of the Rings' or 'His Dark Materials.' But of course it would be an extremely long book.
I particularly like the way in which Edgar's character develops throughout the three novels. He is much more hardened and, when necessary, ruthless in 'Blood of Ironside'; which of course he had to be in order to survive.
I would love to pursue his story further. Of course I know he never became king, but since he lived to a good age there is probably much more that could be told.
on 31 May 2015
Another great read. Edgar seemed to have had a very eventful life without ever fulfilling his destiny. This book deals with his exile from Scotland. His various adventures through France. It ends, unfortunately, with Edgar accepting land from King Philippe and a renewed need to carry on fighting for his crown. He seemed to have lead a charmed life, in as much as the companions he chose and the number of times he escaped certain death. I hope there is another book that tells us about the rest of Edgar's life and that of his companions
on 21 October 2013
Disowned by his brother-in-law, betrayed by the vikings, Edgar lurches and stumbles from one crisis to the next. But whatever Fate chucks at him, and it chucks an awful lot of ordure, he keeps going. One door is slammed in his face, so he finds another. That, too, is denied him, so he searches for a third. And finds it ...
I think this is why Edgar is such an engaging character - he never gives up. And although he is repeatedly presented with difficult moral dilemmas, he doesn't betray his friends, which is why the best of them stick to him.
The Edgar we meet here is not the same as the one we met in the first volume, RESISTANCE. Then, he was a boy. Here, he is a man, and one with the potential for a lot more development. As I know from my own authorship of a series (see: BloodstainsTerminusBloodhound) a continual "refreshing" of your protagonist is essential to keep them believable. Lake does just that, and does it well.
This volume is just as pacy and readable as its two predecessors, and leaves you wanting more. Buy it, read it, and nag the author for a fourth.
on 17 September 2013
Once more into the fray as Edgar continues his struggle to reclaim his throne from William the Bastard(or Conqueror depending on your point of view). What is most intriguing to me at least in this series is the historical fact that we know that William wins in the end, yet the author provides us with the hope, forlorn though it may be, that maybe Edgar can be successful. He is certainly determined enough as there are numerous occasions for him to just throw in the towel and submit to William or to just head elsewhere such as Constantinople.

In this volume, the author has Edgar confronting not only his failures but also the internal process of what kind of King would he be. Edgar grows much in this part of the story as he grapples with the lessons he learns about kingship and the power derived from that position and also the limits to that power.

One of the aspects of writing that I feel the author does well is character introduction and development as there is a host of great characters that fill up these pages. Edgar has a core of followers that include outlaws, nobles, reluctant thugs, Counts and Kings. He also has a host of enemies, so many in fact that I liken Edgar to some half dead warrior surrounded by a flock of carrion crows and vultures just waiting for the chance to finish him off. That he survives to continue the quest is a testament to his character and to his friends. He is certainly the most likable tragic figure I've come across in a long time. I highly recommend this series and hope that Martin Lake doesn't wait too long to give us book 4. I rate this at 4.8...well done Martin.
on 16 October 2014
Really enjoyed this trilogy and raced through it.
It is a really interesting insight into the thinking of a young man as he learns what it is to be a king.
Plenty of action too.
Highly recommend these books
on 29 December 2014
Another excellent episode in this story, and as good as if not better than the previous two. I have recommended this book to anyone that will listen and the only disappointing thing about it is that I've finished it! Well done
on 7 August 2014
The story carries on! The author captures the brutality of a world that we know little of because no one really learns about Edgar in school. His absolute belief is well penned and the small band of loyal followers keep the pages Turning.
on 29 September 2015
Absolutely loved this series, this last one especially. Read all three in a day so far , was day when I started anyway. Apart from copious amounts of tea I read them all in one sitting, couldn't put them down and now feel bereft until the fourth comes out. Really well written page turner with excellent characterisation,
on 15 February 2015
I am a great lover of historical novels. Martin took me back in time and made me feel part of the anxiety, and bloodthirsty warfare of those uncertain times after William the Conqueror defeated King Harold of England. His portrayal of Edgar and his growth as a man and his wisdom and wit, made me realise how easily this country could have had a very different history and future.
on 30 April 2015
One of those books - especially at the end of the third book - which I was loathe to come to the end of, having to say farewell to all the characters I had come to know so well.

Uncomplicated writing, with a constantly rolling storyline. pleased to have found this new Author, look forward to more epics like this.