on 13 February 2015
As with his other books, Mr Farrell's writing keeps the reader enthralled - quite why we are so enthralled by murder is for others to say, but we are. He is one of the very best writers of true-life crime, and for those who prefer the murders to have been a long time ago, probably the best. This book details a number of Victorian murders, setting the scene and then describing the events and their aftermath superbly. There have been more in-depth accounts of some of the murders - the Rugeley Poisoner, for example - but this book gives all the relevant facts and information without ever dragging its heels, yet doesn't rush past each one as some books do. A great read for those who enjoy real-life crime. Highly recommended.
on 6 July 2014
Having previously read this author s first two True Crime books and thoroughly enjoyed them I found this latest glimpse into the darker side of Victorian society just as interesting informative and well written. Each case is fascinating in its own right most were new to me and all revealed extensive research.Strongly recommended.
on 29 April 2015
A good selection of historical crime from the period, with a few lesser known cases. Discussion of each case was short, but succinct.
There were a few odd formatting errors but overall a very enjoyable read. I'll definitely be reading other books by this author.
on 21 May 2015
Very well written - brilliant. However, on the negative side: It would've been flawless save for a few oversights with regard to the proof reading - only needs a few changes here and there (not easy to spot actually). But, I love reading his books - will buy more!
on 17 August 2016
Being a True Crime fan, I was browsing to find some new Kindle books to take on holiday. I downloaded Blood on the Cobbles. I didn't read it during my holiday, but started on the journey back. I was gripped. Spectacular writing, historical depth and lack of sensationalism or salaciousness gives Farrell's book much to be respected, savoured and enjoyed in relation to true crime. Farrell is psychological and forensic in his relating and explorations of the cases. In addition, there have been a plethora of regurgitated and well trodden paths through the genre, which he avoids. Most of the cases he explores I have never read about before. Farrell has truly done his own detective work with regard to his research. Also, his discussions in relation to the development of detective work makes for insightful and original writing. Despite being exhausted following my return trip, I could not rest until I'd finished the book the evening of my return home. The following day, I downloaded the rest of his Kindle books, and have finished A Gallows Guest List - equally wonderful. I am now despairing as I have only two more left, and am dreading their completion. I sincerely look forward to his next book. A highly recommended read. Thank you, Grahame.
on 27 July 2014
This is the third book by Mr Farrell that I have read, and it's just as good as the previous two. Love how he writes, informative and interesting. Am looking forward to book number 4!
on 30 August 2014
I love social and criminal history from the Victorian era. Each account kept me reading and no sooner than I turned the last page I was back on Kindle to by the next volume
on 25 July 2014
So glad Grahame Farrell has written another book! This one is as suberbly written as his last two and I loved it so much I stayed up till 2am to finish it! I'm now rereading it slowly to properly appreciate it. I would definitely recommend this to any true crime fans - each story is concise with some great analysis and it is such a relief to read a true crime writer who can really write!
on 17 January 2015
If you like Victorian murders you'll enjoy this. Not heard of any of them before, and really good to read a book where I've not heard of the murders before. Really enjoyed it
on 25 July 2014
Excellent account of some harrowing cases and explanations of the context, especially the chapter on trains and on prostitution. Well written and a page turner.