VINE VOICEon 27 April 2010
I am fairly new to blogging so I found this book to be extremely useful. I was using the basics of blogging and wanted to use it more effectively and Blogging for Dummies has helped me to do this. I agree the advanced user might find it less helpful, but I liked the way it took me through the stages of blogging in easy steps. Following the chapters I have developed my blogs and have incorporated some of the techniques into what I am doing. I like the way it gives you a general overview in the beginning and then develops the themes mentioned later in the book. I would certainly recommend this book to all those new to blogging or those who have been using the basics for some time and wish to gorw their skills.
I have found over the years of reading numerous `Dummies' books that the quality of them can be very variable. Fortunately `Blogging for Dummies' is one of the better books in the series I have read.

This has a similar layout to other books in the series and if you know one book, you pretty much know the style of them all. This has informal prose, plenty of icons to guide you through the text, short accessible chapters and the `Part of Tens' at the back.

In this book you will learn how to get started, with full explanations of blogging and what it entails. You will be guided through various software and finding your niche or topic to blog about. It helps with ideas to build your community following and how to deal with comments on your blog and it also has ideas for marketing. It finishes up by exploring how you can make money from your blog or tie it into your existing business, before ending on some lists of tips to grow your community, ways to make your blog shine and some key blogs to explore. It also has a glossary and appendix briefly exploring html code used in blogs. This last section is very basic indeed and shouldn't be relied upon to make your blog fully functional from scratch, this is beyond the scope of this book and something you'd have to research elsewhere.

There are plenty of screen shots to demonstrate ideas explored in the book, as well as step-by-step instructions on how to carry out certain functions on your blog and related sites. This is easy to read and has plenty of ideas to help your blog develop and grow and I have been gradually utilising some of the ideas in this book on my own blog as I have worked my way through the book.

All in all this is an interesting and informative introduction to the world of blogging and should turn you from a novice into a competent blogger in no time. In the short time I have been blogging I have found it remarkably satisfying and with the knowledge on hand in this book you should soon be feeling the same way.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.
on 14 May 2017
The title of the book is not a playful way of referring to Newcomers or Novice blogging beginners. It is actually the tone carried on throughout the handbook.
Simple obvious explanations making you aware how dumb you are for not knowing this elementary knowleadge already.
I do not recommend this book because it is outdated.
Some of the websites listed are no longer existing on the web.
review image
on 15 April 2013
This is a great book that explains everything you need to know about blogging. I would say it's mostly for those who are just starting up a blogg for the first time. However, it would make a good reference tool for more experienced bloggers as well. It also takes you through the specifics of the most popular blogg hosts such as 'Blogger', 'Wordpress' and Tumblr. and moves on to show you how to market yourself, make money from your blogg and blogging for companies and so on. In this book I think most people will find everything they need to start their own blogg and to keep going for many years to come.
on 4 August 2012
good book for beginners..shows how to start up, develop and continue...suggested reading for budding bloggers.shows to start with various sites, providers and the end goal for all bloggers.
Having recently entered "blogosphere", I am so glad of this practical guide to making the most of blogging. When I see the titles of this excellent series, I want to say, "Not for dummies - if interested - then certainly not dummies". However, that aside, very good value and excellent intruction.
on 2 August 2010
I have found this book extremely helpful. It has really given me a lot of insight on readability. I have begun podcasting thanks to the help of this book as I previously had no clue where to begin on this. The podcast will be a very useful supplement to my written blog. The information is set out in a way that it is easy to find and you don't need to read it from cover to cover to gain the information you need. I am also one of life's margin-scribblers so it is handy to have a source to move out from that I can make my own notes in.
on 21 November 2013
I bought this because it has been very many years since I've had a web site of my own and wanted to know what the options are in this day and age. I work within IT and just couldn't be bothered to spend my home time constructing web sites and suchlike, so wanted to know what easier options are available.
This book takes you through the common terminology and covers the various ways to be 'heard' out there - Wordpress, Twitter, Podcasts, RSS and suchlike.
It is well written and clearly explains the basics of most options. There is advice on appearance, marketing, finding your particular niche and example abound of interesting and well presented sites.
An excellent example of the 'Dummies' range which certainly helped me to create a site that suited my purpose.
on 11 September 2013
Cover 2.5 follows the Dummies house style as teach yourself books used to once upon a time, so easily identified. I am new to blogging as a writer and am finding one cannot do everything. Some useful help in the book on the Google Blogger which I am using. Earlier I started to use Word Press and found it a bit beyond me. Like car maintenance manuals I suspect there may be steps missing or glossed over, but I am too new to the subject to realise. I may take out of the library again and give some more comments then.
on 3 September 2014
The book itself is great my problem is the book was allegedly in either good or very good condition and the front cover was in a vile state, it had a bright orange ring mark on it that made me vomit when I wiped it off with a wet wipe because it had a most perculiar odour to it, it also left a stain and wrinkled patch where I rubbed. It wouldn't have killed the supplier to have cleaned it before posting it, and might have justified the price. Can't tell you the supplier's name as they failed to include any paperwork with the book put did include a load of stapled junk mail similar to those in cheap magazines - really not impressed!