on 25 March 2013
I admit I had never heard of the series till it popped up as a recommendation, I read the synopsis I found a clip and decided to give it a go.

Since my 4yr old son is a big fan of audio books in the car I had become accustomed to spoken word on my daily commutes but needed something more intelectually challenging than Postman Pat or Narnia. I wasn't disappointed.

Bleak Expectations is a period comedy and at times, quite tongue in cheek with it's hunour but it is that aspect that makes it funny, there is nothing overly complicated in the plot (and yes there is one) and the jokes are what I would class as proper British comedy, as others have mentioned, think Blackadder and you're on the same page.

Others have likened it to Douglas Adams' Hitchhikers series. While Bleak Expectations is a series of short stories I feel this comparison to be wrong, each Bleak episode can be enjoyed alone while Adams must be appreciated in full, you can't dip in just anywhere.

Overall I must say for a light hearted radio comedy, you really can't go wrong, it's well writen and full of wit, the voice actors are we suited to their respective charactors and play their parts well.

This is the first time I have gone in blind with a recommendation but I'm glad I took the plunge. I have noticed there are a further 4 series at present and if they continue to be as funny as the first I'm sure I'll be among those hoping for more. Watch this space.
One person found this helpful
on 7 March 2008
This is the funniest thing I have ever heard on radio. It is in the mould of classic British humour with lunacy, learning and just plain silliness. It's brilliant and I would put money on it following the path that Hitchhiker's Guide travelled from radio. Can't recommend it more highly and would make a great present.
19 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 28 June 2013
Bleak Expectations is Dickens with his tongue firmly in his cheek. It's clever and sophisticated yet embraces the ridiculous at the same time. The quality of the acting/reading helps preserve the atmosphere of the Victorian settings and the wonderful names reflect the pleasure which Dickens must have experienced when devising his own memorable characters. I hold a degree in Literature and have studied and taught Dickens: Bleak Expectations is a worthy companion to the stories and novels Dickens wrote.
on 4 August 2017
Love, love, love Bleak Expectations so much, so cleverly written, & all the characters sound like they are having total scene-chewing fun. Highly recommended, spread the word!
on 14 May 2011
I first heard Bleak Expectations on Radio 4's comedy slot at 6.30 pm. I loved the humour at the time and I decided to treat myself to a re-listen to the series. I was pleased to find that programme stands up to being listened to again really well and it was just as funny as I remembered. Its well worth getting. Go on - treat yourself.
2 people found this helpful
on 5 December 2013
If you like total silliness - with a great literary background delivered by a cast of thespian geniuses/ genii, you will love this. The story of Pip Bin is heartrending and hilarious.
on 9 August 2015
I listened to this with my 7 year old daughter, we both found it hilarious. Clearly I have the sense of humour of a seven year old. Silly, laugh out loud and totally brilliant.
on 31 March 2010
Heard this on Radio 4 and laughed a lot. A pastiche of Dickens and all Victoriana, lamentable deaths and plucky heroines, the evil Mr. Benevolent and the invention of the bin...utterly absurd and beautifully put together, perfect to listen to on long train journeys.
on 1 February 2016
Just as expected and arrived very quickly
on 24 January 2015
This was a gift and is just as ordered, many thanks for a great purchase with no issues.