on 31 July 2014
Really enjoyed reading this, although it wasn't quite what I expected. I knew it was a travel memoir for a group of men who were aged between 50 and 70, who went to Europe and cycled along the river Danube. But this was just the first trip. They also completed trips in France, Italy and Ireland (and others). The disappointment for me was that I was expecting the Danube trip to be the complete book and I would have liked more detail on this - it sounds fantastic and maybe something I would consider myself in the future. Having said that, the whole book is very much worth reading. It is very well written - partly, I suspect, because the author has worked in journalism - it's intelligent, informative and full of humour, without being silly.
on 17 February 2015
Sadly I didn't enjoy this book when I was expecting that I was going to. There was very little said about where they were and almost nothing on the cycling experience.
It was gently amusing and as a 60 y old middle class man myself I hoped I would have enjoyed the bandinage between them a lot more but I didn't. The book might have worked but it needed a lot more content for me.
on 27 June 2014
This is one of the funniest books I've ever read. James Clarke's gentle sense of humour is a pleasure to read and his cycle tours around Europe make an endlessly interesting story. If he and his friends (all from S Africa) can do trips like these at an average age of 60+ there's hope for us all. Not necessarily for me because I'm even older...
Keep writing James.
on 3 April 2014
I enjoyed the trip which the book provided my mind's eye...

Knowing the author as a Newspaper Columnist for decades and understand his self deprecating humor which is once again evident and well harnessed in this book.
on 6 November 2013
I downloaded this onto my kindle. Its a really good story of a group of friends on a variety of different cycling trips. The first story is probably the best and it is certainly the longest. A lot of humour and some really good descriptions. I read this on holiday and it really suited the mood. I would happily recommend.
on 29 November 2013
Love this book and the author. Definitely worth the read - even for those not interested in cycling. Its all about the adventure. Excellent humour.
on 12 February 2013
Enjoyed reading this book very much. It lets you experience the lure of independent travel from your armchair. Reccomend to anyone
3 people found this helpful
on 10 November 2012
An excellent and amusing, page-turning romp, proving you're never to old to tackle adventure, have too much fun, or be afraid of your wives.

This book is a real delight and very funny indeed. Buy it!
on 31 January 2013
Very funny story of a group of 60+ aged recreational cyclists on various tours through Europe. Very entertaining, well written and strangely inspiring.
2 people found this helpful
on 19 October 2013
Other reviews said this was laugh out loud,not for me I'm afraid,just seemed to be a lot of middle aged middle class blokes on a wine tasting and food eating