Blackwater Park
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 11 September 2017
Double vinyl in a very well produced sleeve which brings out the artwork in a way the cd version simply could not. Well worth the purchase - sounds great on vinyl - only had the cd until now. The title track is my favourite - truly epic with a great mixture of mellow and heavy.
on 25 June 2017
Opeth from the good old days a great cd
on 4 April 2017
This is another great album from opeth different from their others but equally excellent
on 13 November 2017
excellent!!!
on 25 November 2017
It's a great album, one of the best of Opeth, the only bad thing is that my parcel got lost and I never got it.
on 18 May 2017
Excellent.
Super quick postage.
on 26 June 2017
As a long-time fan of progressive metal, Opeth was a band name that kept popping up. I knew the day would come that I'd have to give them a shot, so where better to start than what seems to be one of their more highly-praised albums; 'Blackwater Park'.

Now, the whole doom and gloom death metal shouting has never really been my cup of tea. I can tolerate it in small doses, and when used in certain contexts it can be very effective, but too much of it is, well, too much! And Opeth have a lot of it!

But if I need to, I can look past that. And in this case, I can (just about) tolerate it, because Opeth have some incredible guitar acrobatics going on! The guitar riffs are so complex and intricate, there's a lot of things going on but at no point does any of it become overbearing. It sounds dark and gritty, but there's some really intelligent riffs going on here.

There are times when vocalist Mikael Akerfeldt sings cleans, and these are some of the more stand-out moments for me. And with some pretty amazing musicianship displayed in pieces like 'Bleak', 'The Funeral Portrait' and 'Harvest', there are some songs worth coming back to. Even if the singing is nothing more than unintelligible gibberish.

Opeth will never be my favourite band, and 'Blackwater Park' won't be an album I intend to go back to very often. But for what it is, it hasn't deterred me from sticking with the Swedish band for a while longer.
on 9 December 2012
I've been an Opeth fan for years now, but due to laziness on my part I'm only just getting around to reviewing the albums I've owned for ages.

So Blackwater Park. Considered by many to be the finest thing Opeth have ever committed to disc. My favourite album will always be Morningrise, but this is definately one of Opeth's best albums. And considering the calibre of their back catalogue thats high praise indeed.

I normally don't do track by tracks but I think this album deserves it so:

The Leper Affinity: Starts quietly before launching into mighty riffting. A surprisingly aggressive song to start the album with. Nice little piano outro is a well added touch. As ever Opeth's attention to detail shine through here.

Bleak: A Slow starting track due to a repeating harmony for about the first 3-4 mins but its a track that slowly build up to a crashing crescendo.

Harvest: An acoustic track. Beautifully haunting and very dark. Steve Wilson also adds some leads to this one.

The Drapery Falls: For me the best song on the album. Slow starting, and clean sung for the most part, until about the last 3rd of the song when Mikael unleashes some of his finest growls ever recorded. Haunting, Dark but Brutal. This song alone shows exactly why Opeth are held in such high regard in terms of musicianship and pushing the envelope.

Dirge For November: Again an acoustic passage starts this song, before building into some haunting, almost evil melodies. Chorus on this one is excellent, you find yourself singing along after the first few listens.

The Funeral Portrait: The heaviest song on the album. Starts acousticly before unleashing some headbanging riffs. Proof that Opeth can write some songs that will ensure moshing at any live showing.

Patterns In The Ivy: This "song" is an acoustic interval that is there to provide some breathing space, before leading up to the next song nicely...

Blackwater Park: Perfect end to this album. Again some great riffs start this off, before it desolves into an acoustic interlude that lulls you into a sense of peace before unleashing more heavy riffs at you. Mighty.

If you are new to Opeth, this is a good starting point. A nice midway between their earlier, more death-metal albums of Orchids and Still Life, and the more Prog albums such as Watershed. If you are a fan of prog rock, there's a lot to like about Opeth, although if you aren't used to growled vocals, it can take some getting used to. Opeth are a unique band that are able to combine two genres seemingly at odds with each other, and make something powerful, aggressive and brutal, but at the same time expansive, haunting and beautiful. Well worth a listen if you are a fan of music that aspires to be more than just a distraction, and instead be something designed to pull you in and immerse you.
on 28 August 2010
I recently bought this album out of curiosity not really knowing what Opeth were actually about or even what they sounded like. I'd heard a mellow song called 'Hope Leaves' before but that was it.

When I first started playing it I was initially disappointed as 'The Leper Affinity' opened with what I considered to be a gutteral form of technical death metal. It didn't really appeal and I thought that if the rest of the album was like this then it would get quietly racked away and ignored. It wasn't long before my newly formed preconceptions were pushed when about a quarter of the way through, a rather tuneful solo came into play forcing me to accept that maybe this lot were more musical than I had first thought. A minute or so later the song moved into another technical section which led into a more mellow passage with acoustic guitars and excellent clean singing by Mikael Akerfeldt. By this point I was pretty confused as the song continued to play with my expectations as it built back up it's technical death metal sound before concluding with a melancholic piano passage.

I won't bother detailing the other tracks too much as they pretty much do the same sort of thing. That is, they shift with ease between styles both musically and vocally. The musicianship and songwriting on display here really is spectacular as the band expertly flit from one style to another without the songs sounding like a messy mash up of ideas missing any sense of form or shape.

The 2nd track 'Bleak' is another stunning example that includes a really catchy clean vocal section that I have been humming to myself for some time now. Probably my fave track but the others on here are equally skillful at integrating heavy elements with beautiful more folky acoustic moments and quieter more contemplative melancholic passages. 'Harvest' is the only purely mellow sounding track here and is also wonderful showcase of Mikael's vocals which are frankly amazing. He has such a good clean singing voice I'm surprised he can do the heavy growling without doing any damage.

The album is quite a lot to take in during a first sitting but multiple playthroughs really do reward the listener. I don't really know how to decribe this album other than experimental progressive death rock metal and as you can see that is pretty useless and doesn't fairly do it justice. It's just a really good album that requires listeners to pay attention and then rewards them in spades.

It's something I now consider to be a great introduction to a band. I've recently gone on to buy 'Damnation', 'Still Life', 'Deliverance' and 'Ghost Reveries' all of which I'm appreciating, but this I think, remains my favourite so far, especially with it being my first Opeth discovery.
on 19 July 2009
The classic Opeth album, released after Still Life and with the recognisable touch of Porcupine Trees Steve Wilson producing, this album is the epitome of the Prog metal genre. Opeth must be the only band to easily move from death metal to acoustic within a 6 minute song. This album is a great collection of what Opeth are capable of. Songs like The Leper Affinity & The Drapery Falls, songs that would blow a fair few speakers are cushioned in with the acoustic Harvest & Patterns in the Ivy. This album highlights progressive music as it should be, with each track offering a number of genres. Åkerfeldt's vocals will amaze you as he goes from Death grunts backed by Peter Lindgren's stunning guitar work to beautiful melodies within seconds. Wilsons work is obvious on this album compared to the previous Still Life and this has got to the be the ultimate Opeth album to buy.